Burton Custom X okay for a beginner?

Old December 29th 04, 05:17 AM
Patster

Default Burton Custom X okay for a beginner?

My buddy can get me a Burton Custom X for a crazy cheap price. I'm
a beginner, still trying to master how to link turns. He could
also get me a Custom but for a little more I figured why not get the Custom
X?
Would this board be a good fit for me? Are there any big differences between
the durability of the two?

I am a male, 5'5", 150lbs, size 8.5 boots, so I'm looking at the Custom X
152.
I'm out of the suggested weight range for a Custom 151 though (recommend
range for that board is 95-145 lbs) so I'd have to go for a Custom 154 I
guess.

Thanks for any tips.

Old December 29th 04, 08:28 AM
lonerider

Patster wrote:
My buddy can get me a Burton Custom X for a crazy cheap price. I'm
a beginner, still trying to master how to link turns. He could
also get me a Custom but for a little more I figured why not get the

Custom
X?
Would this board be a good fit for me? Are there any big differences

between
the durability of the two?

I am a male, 5'5", 150lbs, size 8.5 boots, so I'm looking at the

Custom X
152.
I'm out of the suggested weight range for a Custom 151 though

(recommend
range for that board is 95-145 lbs) so I'd have to go for a Custom

154 I
guess.

Thanks for any tips.

I believe the Custom X is a bit lighter because of the Dragonfly core
(I've ridden the Burton Dragon that featured the same style core).
Since you mentioned it... the Dragonfly core is essentially balsa
wood... super light and snappy, but prone to breaking on crashing (I've
heard of a lot of Dragons breaks, and one Custom X). However you aren't
huge and you aren't charging steeps or doing flips onto rails, so I
think you will be ok. The X is normally only $100 more, so if you are
getting a good deal (50% off or more) I don't see why you shouldn't
upgrade if you have the money.

One thing though, the X 152 is only norminally different in shape than
the regular Custom 151... for you I would go with the X 156 or the
Custom 154. You do give up a little bit of manueverability at super
slow speeds, but you gain stability at higher speeds. This would also
put you right in the middle of the "recommend weight ranges" - while
you are technically in the upper range of the Custom X 152, I would say
that once you become more skilled and physically stronger in wielding
the board, you "might" end up overpowering the board. However, if you
are just starting out, they it will be a couple of years (say about 100
days at least) before that happens in my opinion so the 152 wouldn't be
that bad either (both boards are pretty decent quality).

Good luck

Old December 29th 04, 12:33 PM

For a beginner, I would recommend going with the Custom, not the X.
The X is a stiffer board. I think most would agree that a board with
more flex is better suited to a begginer as it's easier to turn and
more forgiving.

Old December 29th 04, 04:54 PM
Eric

If you can take the initial punishment, a stiffer board will probably
last you longer, even if you progress quickly. Just a thought.

Eric

Old December 30th 04, 02:50 PM
Eric

I'm sorry to be blunt or ask the obvious, but why?

IMO, flexy boards are harder to control at higher speeds, which I
associate with progression of skill for the first couple seasons. They
are also more difficult to use in deep powder. As FAQ 1.07.03 says,
"you will gradually want something stiffer [snip] as you progress."

Doesn't it depend on your style?

Yes, I suppose it does depend on your style, if you're talking about
the type of riding one will be doing. Generally speaking, Patster
would probably want a more flexible board for the park, stiffer board
for free riding. It didn't sound to me like Patster planned on
spending all of his time in the park, but maybe he is.