Natasha Richardson

Old March 31st 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Natasha Richardson

In article
,
pigo wrote:

On Mar 30, 12:35*pm, "Norm" wrote:
"pigo" wrote in message news:3b10cbdf-7ba0-4d97-9259-
Now many more wear helmets, and the number of fatal accidents to
helmet-wearing skiers has skyrocketed (reletively).- Hide quoted text -

But according to the arguments here helmets are the saviors.

====================

Please go back and read again. Nobody has said helmets are a saviour.
Helmets can and do help protect against certain types of injuries. Not all.
It doesn't take a lot of experimentation or figuring or surveying to
understand that if you get hit on the head with or without a helmet your
likelihood of being hurt is less with a helmet on. This will depend on the
force being applied, the angle of force and a hundred other variables. But
in many if not most cases the helmet will improve your odds. That is all
anybody has claimed and I think that is self evident.

Well I'm saying that if you are that worried about it, it is
hypocritical to not wear one everytime you get out of bed. Especially
when you go outside, but you can fall in the house and hurt yourself
too. Unless of course NO ONE can see you in your house, and it doesn't
look as cool (IYO).

No. I'm sorry, but that is a nonsensical position.

In most of my every day activities, the risk of head injury is
vanishingly small and the benefit of having a helmet on would be too
small to make it worthwhile.

But I sure as hell wear one when I play hockey.

Here's a question - do you and/or your employees not wear hardhats on the
construction site?

No it's not necessary. I've had a couple of things hit me in the head
and draw blood. No biggee. The stuff you worry about a hard hat won't
stop anyway. Union pussies wear hardhats because they want to sue if a
fly lands on their heads.

This is more nonsense. There are lots of things that can hit you in the
head that would be deadly without a helmet and much less so with one.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 31st 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:54:02 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Helmets look cool? no, helmets look geeky or wimpy, you have to have the
courage of your convictions (or very cold ears) to wear one. People use to
take the micky more than they do now, but it still happens.

I always thought I wore one because the upside (reduction of chance of
injury in certain situations, and comfort in a broad range of
conditions) outweighed the downside (ummm....some random crank might
think I'm trying to look kewl?)

But apparently I really do just wear it for ego-gratification; I
heard so on the inter-nets.

bw
Old March 31st 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Bob F wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:
On Mar 31, 4:58 pm, pigo wrote:

Well I'm saying that if you are that worried about it, it is
hypocritical to not wear one everytime you get out of bed.

Would you wear a helmet on a motorcycle?

Or a seat belt in a car?

Or get immunized for diseases.
Or eat healthy food.
Or not smoke cigarettes.

Or not ski where there are snowboarders.

OK, pigo gets 1 in 6 credit.

My helmet is coolier than yours, nya nya n'NYA nya. pigo is the judge.
Old March 31st 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:54:02 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

Have you got insurance? if so I think you'd better read the policy, I would
be very suprised if you are covered on a building site without a Hard hat.

My insurance covers me on a construction site. With or without a hard
hat, dumbass. Does your insurance cover you if you are near me
without chainmail or a kevlar vest? dumbass.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 31st 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 31, 3:07*pm, bdubya wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:53:20 -0700, lal_truckee

wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:
On Mar 31, 4:58 pm, pigo wrote:

Well I'm saying that if you are that worried about it, it is
hypocritical to not wear one everytime you get out of bed.
Would you wear a helmet on a motorcycle?

Or a seat belt in a car?

Or get immunized for diseases.
Or eat healthy food.
Or not smoke cigarettes.

Or not ski where there are snowboarders.

OK, pigo gets 1 in 6 credit.

My helmet is coolier than yours, nya nya n'NYA nya. pigo is the judge.

God help me if he finds out I've reproduced....

bw

I met Pigo for lunch once when he came to San Diego (7 years ago?). I
made sure to talk about my kids (the soccer emergency kids) a lot.

Old April 1st 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"pigo" wrote in message news:637a02dc-b9c0-4f0d-93a5-

[...]

=====================

I don't think you grasp the concept of diminishing returns. Of course it
would be safer to wear one whenever you get out of bed, but how much safer?
Certainly not enough to justify the extra trouble. I don't tend to move
around the house or even the yard at quite the same rate as i do when
skiing. And most of the obstacles in my house and yard, or even downtown are
fairly predictable. This is not the case when I am skiing. And the cool
factor, if there ever was one, which I doubt, has long since passed with the
number of people who wear one now. Helmets are pretty much mainstrean and
barely noticed at all anymore.

Here's a question - do you and/or your employees not wear hardhats on the
construction site?

No it's not necessary. I've had a couple of things hit me in the head
and draw blood. No biggee. The stuff you worry about a hard hat won't
stop anyway. Union pussies wear hardhats because they want to sue if a
fly lands on their heads.

================

The occupational safety authorities in your part of the world don't have
some thoughts on the matter?

Old April 1st 09, 09:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

wrote this crap:

Have you got insurance? if so I think you'd better read the policy,
I would be very suprised if you are covered on a building site
without a Hard hat.

My insurance covers me on a construction site. With or without a hard
hat, dumbass. Does your insurance cover you if you are near me
without chainmail or a kevlar vest? dumbass.

Why would I bother with insurance, I'd just bring a lapdancer

--

Chris *:-)

Old April 1st 09, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Norm wrote:
"pigo" wrote in message

[...]

I was going to say something like that but, having just returned from Canada
and being told what comercial driving hours are there and that they don't
have tachometers (just a hand written log - That I'm sure must make very
interesting reading) at the moment i'll believe anything.

--

Chris *:-)

Old April 1st 09, 10:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:15:53 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

My insurance covers me on a construction site. With or without a hard
hat, dumbass. Does your insurance cover you if you are near me
without chainmail or a kevlar vest? dumbass.

Why would I bother with insurance, I'd just bring a lapdancer

Ooh! You'd bring your mommy. I'm so not impressed.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012. Dumbass.