Zermatt conditions?

Old May 10th 05, 05:02 PM

Default Zermatt conditions?

I will be in Switzerland (near Interlaken) on business, and was
planning to spend the weekend of May 21 skiing in Zermatt. However, I
just checked the website and from the trail map, it appears that the
only "run" that is open is between Furggsatel and Trockener Steg.
Everything else is closed. What I cannot tell from the website is
whether that is literally just one ski trail, or several, and how long.
Does anyone have any information on this? I'm not terribly picky
(most of my skiing is East Coast of the US, so I appreciate anything
that is real snow instead of machine-made), and skiing the Alps
certainly has a "cool" factor, but if there's only one small run open,
this doesn't sound like it's worth the time to go there.

Are some of the other summer ski resorts (I've seen Soelden, Stubai,
Hinterhux, and Tignes mentioned) in better condition? Which are the
closest to Interlaken?

Thanks for any information.

Old May 10th 05, 05:38 PM
Enotrio Pallanzo

Are some of the other summer ski resorts (I've seen Soelden, Stubai,
Hinterhux, and Tignes mentioned) in better condition? Which are the
closest to Interlaken?

Thanks for any information.

Think u might find some useful information at the following website:

http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient...weather=Europe

I realize Austria offers the widest percentages of open slopes (Pitztal
first of the rank).

Have fun.

Enotrio

Old May 11th 05, 08:02 PM

I very much appreciate your postings in the Europe ski newsgroups, in
particular in answer to my questions on summer skiing. Just 2 quick
further questions: (1) Do you know how long (approximately, of course)
is the one open run at Zermatt; and (2) Given that Zermatt only has
this one run, would not Engelberg be a better choice? Since you
referred me to Engelberg, I checked their website, and it looks like
they have more runs open, at least until May 22, which is when I have
to leave anyway.

Johannes wrote:
On 10 May 2005 10:02:35 -0700, wrote:

I will be in Switzerland (near Interlaken) on business, and was
planning to spend the weekend of May 21 skiing in Zermatt. However,

just checked the website and from the trail map, it appears that the
only "run" that is open is between Furggsatel and Trockener Steg.
Everything else is closed. What I cannot tell from the website is
whether that is literally just one ski trail, or several, and how

long.
Does anyone have any information on this? I'm not terribly picky

I made a look at the Homepage your right. But im not shure if

weekends
not more open. You should ask.

Are some of the other summer ski resorts (I've seen Soelden, Stubai,
Hinterhux, and Tignes mentioned) in better condition? Which are the
closest to Interlaken?

Depend on the time you got. I had 5h by car from Basel to the

Pitztal.
You need more time from Interlaken.
If your time is limited, you can go to Engelberg thats only 86km
(~53miles)km away.
www.titilis.ch (They open also the Laubersgrad Chairlift weekends, if
there enaugh people and snow.)

Johannes

Old May 13th 05, 07:16 AM
Memascii

Hi Johannes,

Johannes wrote:
Geneva or load the Car at Kandersteg on the Railway). With train:

What's the deal with the rail link down from Kandersteg? The missus's
SatNav wanted us to tunnel through around there as a shortcut to Crans.
I wasn't sure if it was a new tunnel (my atlas is a bit old) but in
the end we didn't take the risk and drove around via the lake. I guess
now that it wanted to take us via the rail link.

Any idea on the cost/frequency for future reference?

Cheers.
Iain.

Old May 13th 05, 02:09 PM
Johannes

On 13 May 2005 00:16:13 -0700, "Memascii"
wrote:

Hi Johannes,

Johannes wrote:
Geneva or load the Car at Kandersteg on the Railway). With train:

What's the deal with the rail link down from Kandersteg? The missus's
SatNav wanted us to tunnel through around there as a shortcut to Crans.
I wasn't sure if it was a new tunnel (my atlas is a bit old) but in
the end we didn't take the risk and drove around via the lake. I guess
now that it wanted to take us via the rail link.

This tunnel is old. open since 1913.
Car transport: Kandersteg - Goppenstein or Kandersteg - Iselle(Italy).
Some Route-Planer declare the car transport as Ferry. If you got to
Saas Fee or Zermatt you save 1h from Bern.

Any idea on the cost/frequency for future reference?

20-25Sfr one way from Kandersteg to Goppenstein / nomal all 1/2h

time table www.bls.ch

johannes
Old May 17th 05, 07:52 AM
Ace

On 13 May 2005 00:16:13 -0700, "Memascii"
wrote:

Hi Johannes,

Johannes wrote:
Geneva or load the Car at Kandersteg on the Railway). With train:

What's the deal with the rail link down from Kandersteg? The missus's
SatNav wanted us to tunnel through around there as a shortcut to Crans.
I wasn't sure if it was a new tunnel (my atlas is a bit old) but in
the end we didn't take the risk and drove around via the lake. I guess
now that it wanted to take us via the rail link.

Indeed, that's the only possibility from there.

Any idea on the cost/frequency for future reference?

25 Francs, and they run as often as necessary, or every 15 minutes.
The worst waiting time I've had, with cars backed up 2km down the
valley, was about 45minutes, but unless you're at an absolute peak
time (like I was, ~1900 on a busy Swiss holiday friday evening in peak
season) it's rare that you'll be waitig more than 15 minutes.

The alternative route (if you're coming from the North-West) is to go
via Martigny and along the Rhone valley to Brig, but it's about 120km
further, so not usually worthwhile, and the extra petrol's going to
cost you almost as much as the train anyway.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)