carving in the really deep stuff!

Old January 14th 04, 09:13 AM
copek

Default carving in the really deep stuff!

i'm just about getting carving sorted on the pistes, but when it comes to
powder i seem to lose it.

i can straight line it with a few swishy turns in there, but if i really go
for a full on carved turn throwing up loads of snow etc .. i just seem to
bury myself to the inside.

maybe i'm forcing it too much, or maybe i can try and blame the snow - it
was pretty wet heavy 'powder' ....

any tips on translating carving from piste to powder appreciated.

thanks,

Old January 14th 04, 09:39 AM
WeatherCam

"copek" wrote in message
i'm just about getting carving sorted on the pistes, but when it comes to
powder i seem to lose it.

i can straight line it with a few swishy turns in there, but if i really

go
for a full on carved turn throwing up loads of snow etc .. i just seem to
bury myself to the inside.

maybe i'm forcing it too much, or maybe i can try and blame the snow - it
was pretty wet heavy 'powder' ....

any tips on translating carving from piste to powder appreciated.

thanks,

Copek

I don't know, just like your windsurfing - get a longer board, better still
a Swallow Tail / Powder Gun - to see yours truly in action
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_320.html

I wouldn't say I actually carve in powder like the piste - but to kick up a
nice big rooster tail, as ever, it's all in the hips and knees - just look
at the style in the above clip ..... you have to really let the board go
down the fallline facing forward

Windsurfing here on the south coast had been pretty insane recently - well
I'm exagerating there - been really up and down, lots of false calls......

Regards
WC

Old January 14th 04, 10:26 AM
David Brown :o\)

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
I don't know, just like your windsurfing - get a longer board, better

still
a Swallow Tail / Powder Gun - to see yours truly in action
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_320.html

Have you got a URL where I can download this movie as I have a slow net
connection.

Thank you

--
David Brown )
http://www.kitemap.co.uk/Jack-Foil-5m.JPG

Old January 14th 04, 10:39 AM
copek

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
news:slrnc0a907.61r.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:13:55 -0000, copek said (and I quote):
i'm just about getting carving sorted on the pistes, but when it comes

powder i seem to lose it.

i can straight line it with a few swishy turns in there, but if i really

go
for a full on carved turn throwing up loads of snow etc .. i just seem

bury myself to the inside.

any tips on translating carving from piste to powder appreciated.

Maybe this is just a terminology issue, but it doesn't make sense to
speak of carving in powder. It can't be done. It simply doesn't
apply.

As for turning in powder, you often have to do things that are
somewhat opposite to what you would do when carving, for e.g., use
your rear foot as a rudder to steer with, try not to get too much
edge angle (which causes the board to sink), etc.
--
A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

WC :

yeah ... gybing technique has definitely helped. its only on the heelside i
have problems ...
haven't been able to get down to the coast for a while. it's been looking
ok though. will be on the water soon with my new Ezzys!

baka :

ok, not strictly carving - but getting more powerful clean turns. sounds
like i was trying too hard and burying the board. will try to be more
gracefull from now on ....

cheers guys,

Old January 14th 04, 10:50 AM
WeatherCam

"David Brown )" wrote in message
"WeatherCam" wrote in message
I don't know, just like your windsurfing - get a longer board, better

still
a Swallow Tail / Powder Gun - to see yours truly in action
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_320.html

Have you got a URL where I can download this movie as I have a slow net
connection.

Sorry, just be patient - if you go to the gallery,
http://www.mountaintime.nu/ I think there is another smaller version - under
the La Grave title that's 240*180 - plus you'll also see where we're going
in the back end of April - 4 days on a boat in Lyngen...awsome

Regards
WC

Old January 14th 04, 11:31 AM
David Brown :o\)

S'ok, took over an hour but I've got it now.
Lovely bit of video BTW )

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old January 14th 04, 11:45 AM
WeatherCam

"David Brown )" wrote in message
S'ok, took over an hour but I've got it now.
Lovely bit of video BTW )

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Last couple of years have not been quite as good as that from the video
perspective - he really pulled the stops out on that one - we normally have
about three cameras in the group, so at the end of the trip we give all the
films to Simon and he goes off an does his thing....this year was more about
scenery as we were touring, still some nice riding sequences though.....only
trouble he's bowed out of this year's trip!!

Regards
WC

Old January 14th 04, 04:42 PM
Chris Stringer

Wow. Great video. Looks like you guys hit it big with the powder.
Seemed like there was at least a foot in some of those shots.

I'm head to Austria in a few weeks to ski at a place called Arlberg
(http://www.arlberg.com). Any advice on where the best areas are?
I'm looking for the steeps and the more technical stuff. Less
cruisers.

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston
Bend, OR 97701
Email:
Web:
http://www.rdcshop.com
Toll Free Phone: 1.877.BEND.SKI
Old January 14th 04, 04:56 PM
Mike T

Maybe this is just a terminology issue, but it doesn't make sense to
speak of carving in powder. It can't be done. It simply doesn't
apply.

Very true! (Keep in mind, Baka nd I are speaking of the technical
definition of carving... all points on the board edge go through the
same track)

Think of surfing the deep stuff rather than carving it. When making a
carved turn, one may finish one turn transitioning the pressure from the
tail to the nose of the board, using the tail to pop out of the old turn
and then pressuring the nose to flex the board for the new turn. When
surfing powder, or even deep wet snow, your weight shifts are more
subtle.

Old January 16th 04, 09:24 PM
Jason Watkins

http://www.splitboard.com/vids/splitfish384.wmv

On a similar topic, check that little video out. You can't really
carve in loose snow, but you certainly can load up the tail in turns
and spring between them. I was able to do a little bit of this
recently when we had good snow in this area... it's very fun, gets
addictive very fast.

boarding the really steep stuff msegal Snowboarding 12 January 15th 04 06:23 PM
Speaking of stuff falling off a lift . . . . JKirby Snowboarding 9 January 13th 04 06:08 PM
Carving photos WeatherCam Snowboarding 4 January 8th 04 08:36 PM
very good deal on bonfire stuff Dave Wang Snowboarding 3 July 31st 03 03:35 PM