board bag

Old November 11th 03, 12:05 PM
philw

Default board bag

We've been here before, but here's my view..

(1) I've never had a problem with the airlines flying any board bags
in or out of the USA. They hang a "heavy" sticker on them and just
take them. English check-ins are always the worst when it comes to
baggage, and even they often don't even weigh board bags (I'm talking
scheduled flights here).

(2) My garage is lined with old Burton and other cloth board bags. My
last Burton Wheelie bag lasted precisely one flight before the baggage
handlers took the handle off the end. That's not ok if you're trying
to shift the bag around an airport (I think it was SF, which used to
be very bad for trollies). You can't actually wheel the bag without
the handle... useless.
The second problem is that if your boards have sharp edges, and
they generally should, then travel on a 'plane causes the edges to cut
the bag. Obviously that's not very smart. When these were the only
thing on the market I had to pad my boards so the edges didn't contact
the bag's edges... you'd think that a bag designed to carry boards
would actually carry them without destroying itself. Nope.
In my view this type of bag is ok for carrying boards in your car.
Otherwise, they're rubbish.

(3) Have you looked at the Sports Tube?
Yes, I finally imported one of these a couple of years ago and it's
the only thing which works. After a while the baggage handlers will
ding the corners, but so far mine's holding up just fine. The whole
thing's easier to wheel about than a bag too. The only downsides I
can think of a
(a) It's harder to get into and out of the bag: don't pack
anything in here you might want to get at before you get
where you're going.
(b) Packing and unpacking is pretty much all-or-nothing. You
can't just take out one thing without having a whole sausage
of gear fall out. I actually use two pairs of the old burton
board bag boot containers to help structure stuff inside, but
it's not ideal.

Old November 11th 03, 01:52 PM
Bruce Chang

The bag limit is not applicable to oversized sports bags. You are allowed
to check sports bags like golf clubs, skis/snowboard, rifles and other
equipment that cannot fit in the 62" dimension limit.

Look he

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_ser...ting/index.jsp

"Serena" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for all your input. I have to have backpack as well since I'll
be picking up all my gear over in the States.

Another question: The flights in and out of USA have dimension limit
of 62". How did you guys get past that, because simple arithmetic
tells me that there's no wheelie bags on the market which conforms to
such limit. Call me a nerd. I'm flying Delta (of all airlines).

And Valerie, what Burton bag is yours?

"Boardin' Fool" wrote in message

The Dakine Low Roller comes in 155 cm. That's the shortest one I know

of.

"Serena" wrote in message
m...
The problem is that most of the wheelie bags on the market are taller
than I am. It is entirely possible for me to go into one of those.
Could you suggest a good model?

"Lord Boots" wrote in message

"Serena" wrote in message
m...

I could've managed if I had a wheeled bag). But I don't think I

would
be able to manage backpack + boardbag without wheels.

Help me.

Serena,

You really should use a board coffin / wheelie bag. I travelled to
Courchevel last year from the states, and putting all of your avi

gear,
boots, helmut, snow clothes, etc, in the wheelie bag is so much

easier.
You
can fit about a week's worth of base layers, socks, etc, in there as

well,
so your regular luggage/daypack, can hold your daily non-snow stuff.

Hope
this helps.

Boots

Old November 11th 03, 11:09 PM
Dana P

Several airlines have recently put weight restrictions on baggage,
lowering the weight to 50 lbs per bag. You will pay additional for
baggage that weighs more than 50 lbs. The bigger the bag. the more
stuff you cram in it (sometimes unnecessary stuff), ending up costing
more to travel.
Things to ponder

Old November 12th 03, 01:37 PM
valerie

(Serena) wrote in message . com...
Thanks for all your input. I have to have backpack as well since I'll
be picking up all my gear over in the States.

Another question: The flights in and out of USA have dimension limit
of 62". How did you guys get past that, because simple arithmetic
tells me that there's no wheelie bags on the market which conforms to
such limit. Call me a nerd. I'm flying Delta (of all airlines).

And Valerie, what Burton bag is yours?

I have this one - but from a few years ago.

the wheelie board case.
http://www.burton.com/Burton/gear/pr...?productID=481

A bit on the exspensive side - but I've had it for close to 5 years
and I don't anticipate having to buy a new one ANY time soon. Buy
nice or buy twice definately applies here.

I've never had a problem flying it all over the world.... I've been to
Italy and New Zeland with it - plus numerous trips all over the US.

It has 2 removable bags on the inside - one for my boots and the other
I stuff full of long underwear and casual clothing. I pack my jacket,
pants, and fleeces around my bindings to keep them a bit more
protected. Plus it's got little zippered pockets on the inside for my
tools and stuff.

Valerie
Old November 12th 03, 11:48 PM
Dana P

As you pack your board bag you might also consider what happens if the
bag does'nt get there (lost baggage or delayed). I pack around my board
with general wear clothes and hand carry all boarding clothes separtely.
I can rent boots and board, if need be, but could get very expensive if
I had to get boarding clothes.
It's snowing at Alyeska Resort.....
Dana

Fakie board recommendation Skitzo Snowboarding 9 May 13th 04 11:03 PM
Please help: Need old-style bindings for awesome Grateful Dead board Steve Panak Snowboarding 0 October 30th 03 11:12 PM
Board sizing... Brett Snowboarding 1 October 19th 03 11:07 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
weight of board on life hurts knee Baretta Snowboarding 1 August 21st 03 11:54 PM