Waxing question

Old April 1st 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jolly_O

Default Waxing question

I've been waxing my skis for several years, but I just started
snowboarding this year, and the board seems to be a different beast.
Mine is a Burton Bullet. I can tell when my skis need waxing very
easily. The bases start have that haze of oxidation, and there is no
longer the faint trace of a wax film as I rub my thumb firmly across
the base.

The base of my board seems to be made of something entirely different.
I hot waxed it, and after the first day's riding, it didn't feel waxed
to the touch as my skis do. Since the base is white, I can't see
anything either. To this newbie snowboarder, it seems that waxing
this board provides little benefit. I checked the Burton website, and
where it describes the different bases it says that my base performs
with or without wax. I enjoy waxing and tuning my equipment. Am I
actually accomplishing anything by waxing my board?

Thanks,
Jack
Old April 1st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
HUCK

On 1 Apr, 17:32, Jolly_O wrote:
[...]

I have two boards--A Burton Canyon and a Vision. The first time I
used the Burton, I had to take it to the base ski shop and get it
waxed. I was dead in my tracks on anything under about 30degrees.
Once waxed, it has been fine. Burton said it was waxed at the
factory, but it did not act like it. My other board, the Vision,
seems to go and go waxed on not. It looks to me like waxing would help
reduce nicks and scratches some. Also, It provides the opportunity to
really inspect your board closely once in a while.

Old April 2nd 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker

Jolly_O schrieb:
this board provides little benefit. I checked the Burton website, and
where it describes the different bases it says that my base performs
with or without wax. I enjoy waxing and tuning my equipment. Am I
actually accomplishing anything by waxing my board?

Don't know exactly about Burton but have a Palmer that was said to be
pre-waxed too. The base is transparent but I drove it 10 days with two
times fast hotwaxing and it was not transparent anymore (starting at the
edges: grey veil of usage) and felt a little bit dull. Even a friend at
the same weight outdistanced me on his Head on the same slow slope.

Gave to a friend for full service (has a company) two weeks ago. He was
astonished to see the base becoming transparent after grinding. And
waxed it thoroughly and professionaly.
After my vacation in Valloire the following week I complained happily
about: gliding extremely easily even on the 5th day (could not get a to
a decent standstill when slightly tipped in one direction of the board),
not seeing any grey veil (and having nicely grinded edges, thus getting
grip even on worst ice). Smile guarantee of my vendor returned

So my experience in short: professional waxing really made a tangible
diffence.

Krischan
Old April 8th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
gr

Jolly_O wrote:
[...]

SInce the P-tex base is the same as ski bases (ie: sintered from many
particles), wax will penetrate the base the same way, and tend to take
many applications before it has fully penetrated (so the more you wax
the better it will get!). I hot wax occasionally, but each day will
apply Not-Wax; you get the best of both worlds then!
gr
Old April 15th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jolly_O

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:32:51 -0400, gr
wrote:

SInce the P-tex base is the same as ski bases (ie: sintered from many
particles), wax will penetrate the base the same way, and tend to take
many applications before it has fully penetrated (so the more you wax
the better it will get!). I hot wax occasionally, but each day will
apply Not-Wax; you get the best of both worlds then!
gr

Thanks. I like to maintain my stuff, so I'll treat the board like my
skis - waxing every four or so days. It can't hurt.

Jack
Old April 16th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Jolly_O wrote in
:

skis - waxing every four or so days. It can't hurt.

won't hurt but will be a lot of work I've found that
unless I'm in conditions that really rip the wax out, my
board can go progressively longer between waxes as the
season progresses. But I'm also a little more liberal than
some with the hot wax and I also make sure my base is clean
before waxing and brush well after.

Regarding the not-wax, while I do use the stuff in the
spring, I'm not at all an advocate of it in temps under
about 25; just find it seems to have the opposite effect.

Waxing Frequency question Christopher Cox Snowboarding 3 February 18th 07 11:54 PM
Waxing Question ttalb Snowboarding 9 January 3rd 06 01:46 PM
Your question on waxing sherwindu Nordic Skiing 5 December 27th 04 10:59 AM
Ski waxing question No.2 JP European Ski Resorts 18 March 2nd 04 06:49 PM
quick waxing question Scott Lindner Snowboarding 3 January 7th 04 01:41 AM