Have you ever skied in England ?

Old September 22nd 03, 06:02 PM
C.O.Jones

Default Have you ever skied in England ?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:42:37 +0200, "Enotrio Pallanzo"
wrote:
I know that England is not the best place in the
world for skiing, but I was wondering whether there are ski resorts or not,
and where. I'm so damn curious I might have spent a weekend there ...

There are some mad men who occasionally set a ski tow up in the Lake
District and the Northern Pennines - resort guide at:

http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/index.html

Plus there is the touring option:
http://www.pennine.demon.co.uk/SkiGuide/Home.htm

ernest
Old September 22nd 03, 06:16 PM
Me

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:42:37 +0200, "Enotrio Pallanzo"
wrote:

I agree with you. Of course I know that England is not the best place in

the
world for skiing, but I was wondering whether there are ski resorts or

not,

There are not.

That's not quite true, see:

http://www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk/index.html , and

http://www.ldscsnowski.com/ (this isn't working at the moment, but it may
during the winter).

SF.

Old September 22nd 03, 08:00 PM
S. Gione

From the discussion, it seems there is more skiing in Hawaii than UK

http://www.hawaiisnowskiclub.com/Mk/index.html

I've done it a couple of time ... not wonderful, but very memorable. You
can only make about 3 runs before you run out of "gas" (oxygen depletion).

"Enotrio Pallanzo" wrote in message
Where ?

Enotrio Pallanzo

Old September 22nd 03, 10:20 PM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:03:26 +0200, "Enotrio Pallanzo"
wrote:

Where ?

There are several small slopes in the Pennines (Weardale) but if
there's enough snow to ski (which is rare) it's enough to make the
roads all but impassible.

Scotland's a different matter - I've spent some great weekends in
Glenshee.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old September 23rd 03, 07:39 AM
Ace

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:16:05 +0100, "Me"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I agree with you. Of course I know that England is not the best place in

the
world for skiing, but I was wondering whether there are ski resorts or

not,

There are not.

That's not quite true, see:

http://www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk/index.html , and

http://www.ldscsnowski.com/ (this isn't working at the moment, but it may
during the winter).

Fair point, although they're not really what I'd call a 'resort'.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 23rd 03, 08:53 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

In Scotland, which is another matter altogether. As I've never skieed
there I couldn't possibly comment on how bad it is.

I'm so damn curious I might have spent a weekend there ...

nOOOOO, Don't do it!

ROTFL - Save !

Thanks, Ace.

Prego.

:-)

Old September 23rd 03, 08:56 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

snip

You could try the Somerset Levels, or maybe the Fens. You would be
surprised. Bit like asking a bloke about the beach in Siberia.

Actually, I have been invited to a biathlon competition in Kantamanta
(Siberia). Then I might report about siberian beaches ...... :-)

Old September 23rd 03, 08:57 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

Speaking as a member of the unofficial Fenland Moutain Rescue club you'd
be
surprised at the amount we get here, last year we had a whole inch for

more
than a couple of days, more in the high places like Gedney Hill. Sledging

on
the other hand was a thriving sport a few years back, speeds in excess

were
seen in certain places although a tow rope was used instead of gravity.

So sad ....

;-)

Old September 23rd 03, 09:01 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

" I know that England is not the best place in the
world for skiing, but I was wondering whether there are ski resorts or

not,
and where. I'm so damn curious I might have spent a weekend there ...

There are some mad men

LOL

who occasionally set a ski tow up in the Lake
District and the Northern Pennines - resort guide at:

http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/index.html

Plus there is the touring option:
http://www.pennine.demon.co.uk/SkiGuide/Home.htm

Thanks, Ernest.

Enotrio

Old September 23rd 03, 09:09 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

Scotland's a different matter - I've spent some great weekends in
Glenshee.

Thanks, Colin. This might be an alternative trip. I will take it into
consideration.

Have fun.

Enotrio