Ski jacket repair

Old October 24th 05, 11:53 AM
Paul Schofield

Default Ski jacket repair

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

Cheers

--
Paul Schofield

Old October 24th 05, 11:56 AM
Ace

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:53:06 +0100, "Paul Schofield"
paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

You can buy iron-on genuine Gore-tex patches from any decent outdoor
shop[1]. Only seen them in black, but have used them successfully on
trousers a couple of times.

[1] I know Snow & Rock in the UK do them, for example.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 24th 05, 12:44 PM
Paul Schofield

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:53:06 +0100, "Paul Schofield"
paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket

and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

You can buy iron-on genuine Gore-tex patches from any decent outdoor
shop[1]. Only seen them in black, but have used them successfully on
trousers a couple of times.

Thanks Ace - I had checked in the local Black's but to no avail - however I
think they're taking on Dixon's reject staff!

--
Paul Schofield

Old October 24th 05, 01:57 PM
Florian Anwander

Hi Paul,

I assume your jacket is made from GoreTex or similar membrane based
material. Never (!) _sew_ any patches on the tear. The yarn will suck
the water from outside to inside faster than you can imagine!

You have two possibilities: A patch, which is glue'ed to the viewable
surface of the jacket or glue'ing the tear itself with "Seam-Grip".

The first possibility is very easy to do, but you will have an ugly
black spot on your jacket. Also these outer patches tend to get ripped
from the surface. Seam-grip produces a complete plain surface.

Seam grip is originally intended for repairing siliconisized tents. The
problem with Goretex material is, that there is no glue which can attach
to the membrane. Seamgrip does not try to attach to the membrane, but
"creeps" into the filament of the surface material. Seam-Grip is water
proof. You can buy it in every outdoor shop.

If you proceed as followed, the repair is invisible:
- prepare a strip or self adhesive tape like for packing parcels; you
need two pieces ~4cm wide and ~6cm long.
- open the seam-grip tube (looks like a small tube of tooth paste) and
prepare the mini paint brush, which is delivered with the seam grip.
- you have to sew a seam next day, so be prepared to a needle and yarn
in the right colour.
- open a seam close to the tear, where you can reach the tear from
inside. You need at least around 5cm space.
- lay the jacket on a flat table, with the outside up. flaten the tear
as it should be fixed afterwards and attach the adhesive tape on the tear.
- turn around the jacket and lay it with the tape downside. You should
look now to throught the opened seam to the inner side of the shell
material and see the white Gore-membrane.
- Now bend the material with on the the tears line (like an open wound).
- add a little drop of seam grip and distribute it over the length of
the tear.
- after 20 seconds lay the jacket flat to the table again, pay attantion
that the tear has no contact to the inner lining of the jacket.
- put another drop of seam grip on the flat, and distribute it around
5mm left and right of the tear.
- wait for another 30 seconds, then cover the tear from the inner side
with the second piece of tape.

Now let the jacket rest for the next 24 hours (doesn't have to lay on
the table, bot do not bend the tear).
After 24 hours you may remove both adhesive tapes (if the inside tape
cannot be removed from the seamgrip cut away what can be removed and let
the rest be there). Now sew again the opened seam.

If some remains of the adhesive tape can be seen on the outside try to
remove with a clean rubber gum.

The most difficult usually is to open and re-sew the seam. So perhaps
let these parts of the job be done by a professional tailor and do the
rest on your own.

Florian

Old December 9th 05, 11:43 AM

"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

Duct tape.

Also has the advantage it gives that "Seasoned Mountaineer" look.

Old December 9th 05, 10:06 PM

In article ,
funkraum @hotmail.com wrote:
"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

Duct tape.

Also has the advantage it gives that "Seasoned Mountaineer" look.

Even though it doesn't have quite the cachet of duct tape, I think the OP
would have better luck, from the durability standpoint, with some of those
tent repair strips.

I've used it many times on clothing, and it completely outshines duct
tape.

cheers,
john
Old December 14th 05, 12:00 PM

"funkraum" funkraum @hotmail.com wrote in message
"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

Duct tape.

Also has the advantage it gives that "Seasoned Mountaineer" look.

Needle and thread. You can often manage to buy a thread of the same or similar
colour.

--

Michael Chare

Old December 20th 05, 05:17 PM

Florian Anwander wrote:

"funkraum" funkraum @hotmail.com wrote in message

"Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

We've got a small tear (split about cm long) in a almost new ski jacket and
I'm hoping someone out there knows of a simple repair product.

Duct tape.

Also has the advantage it gives that "Seasoned Mountaineer" look.

Needle and thread. You can often manage to buy a thread of the same or similar
colour.

I think Florian was going to say "Ignore funkraum's stupid
suggestion", which is in fact the correct thing to do. If the gear is
going to wear out that season then you might as well patch it but if
you are keeping it for several years than do the repair as Florian
suggests.

Old December 21st 05, 08:04 AM

Hi

funkraum wrote:

I think Florian was going to say "Ignore funkraum's stupid
suggestion", which is in fact the correct thing to do.

I was close to do this :-)) , but I thought, different points of view
must be possible and allowed, and each is legitimate. So I canceled the
posting...

If the gear is
going to wear out that season then you might as well patch it but if
you are keeping it for several years than do the repair as Florian
suggests.

Definitely true!

I prefer to use (costy) high quality gear and use it for years, instead
of buying every now and then something cheap (and pay finally the same
price).

Florian