Grand-Massif Express in Samoens

Old October 17th 03, 08:56 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

Default Grand-Massif Express in Samoens

Steve wrote in
:

As it happens I''m heading that way for New Year and I can't wait.
I've never skied the area before, can anyone recommend any of the
following?:

a) a good off piste guide
b) good piste/off piste skiing - the highlights if you like?
c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

I can answer briefly re. off-piste in the Grand Massif - I ski there
fairly frequently. There isn't AFAIK a published off-piste guide to the
area. Most of the off-piste stuff is between or fairly close to pistes -
there aren't really any big remote descents in neighbouring valleys.

A few highlights in different areas:

In the Flaine bowl you can go pretty much anywhere, but the whole of the
upper section is on limestone pavement with big rock crevasses, so in
light snow cover you need to be really careful (this will almost
certainly apply at New Year). People fall into these holes and die every
year.

Top right (looking up) of the Flaine bowl, the uppermost chairlift gives
access to a fun area - nothing big, but nice terrain. It's rocky, and
needs good cover.

Top left of the Faine bowl is the entrance to the Gers bowl, which is the
biggest off-piste area. It has a long Poma. You can go pretty much
anywhere, all the slopes funnel down to the bottom of the lift.
Unfortunately the lift rarely runs in the early season, as the area is
avalanche prone. If it's running, do it.

There are various well-frequented slopes with various different aspects
between Flaine and Les Carroz - perhaps someone can help with the names
of lifts here - I can't remember. Anyway this stuff is very obvious,
there'll be people all over them.

My personal favourite (maybe I should keep quiet about this).... In new
snow the forests immediately above Les Carroz (skier's right of the
telecabine, mostly) are magnificent; fairly steep, and the trees are
fairly closely spaced, and just masses of terrain where hardly anyone
goes. You occasionally come out on a piste, cross straight over and into
the woods on the other side. The bottom section of the piste leads back
to the Carroz lifts, you can't miss it.

Samoens: at the top there's a certain amount of stuff which is not really
off piste (I think the best way down is actually marked as a black piste
on the plan - someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but is quite fun.
There are good bumps on the upper slope coming into the Samoens area from
Flaine, the area I'm referring to is skier's right of the bumps, starting
a bit higher and served by a chair. There's not much on the lower slopes.

Morillon: nothing much - some very short slopes at the top which are fun
in new snow, and some entertaining mud at the bottom (on-piste) in light
snow conditions.

Apologies for not giving more names - I don't have a plan in front of me
and I can't remember a lot of them, but I think the main areas should be
pretty obvious when you're there. Maybe others can suggest anything I've
missed.

Jeremy

Old October 17th 03, 10:01 AM
Ace

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:15:30 +0100, Steve
wrote:

Foucart-Dever wrote:

Samoens/Grand Massif

As it happens I''m heading that way for New Year and I can't wait. I've
never skied the area before, can anyone recommend any of the following?:

a) a good off piste guide

If you're in Flaine itself I'd suggest you use Jann Westercamp and/or
Regis Ponchaud. They've been there for years and, although not uiagm
guides, can lead and instruct all around the GM. They're about as fun
people to ski with as you could ever ask for, and will go as extreme
as you feel capable of.

b) good piste/off piste skiing - the highlights if you like?

Where to start? Actually, google groups would probably be good, as
I've posted on this before.

'ere we go:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ews.cis.dfn.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...us%404ax.co m

See also
http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/reso...ais/flaine.htm

c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

Some. The igloo above Morillon is nice, my fave in the Flaine bowl is
L'Epicea.

For more details about all the above points, you'd be well advised to
get in touch with the ski club rep in the resort, who has access to
loads more info than I can remember off the top of my head.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old October 17th 03, 11:16 AM
Ian Spare

On 17/10/2003 12:01, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:15:30 +0100, Steve
wrote:

Foucart-Dever wrote:

Samoens/Grand Massif

As it happens I''m heading that way for New Year and I can't wait. I've
never skied the area before, can anyone recommend any of the following?:

a) a good off piste guide

If you're in Flaine itself I'd suggest you use Jann Westercamp and/or
Regis Ponchaud. They've been there for years and, although not uiagm
guides, can lead and instruct all around the GM. They're about as fun
people to ski with as you could ever ask for, and will go as extreme
as you feel capable of.

b) good piste/off piste skiing - the highlights if you like?

Where to start? Actually, google groups would probably be good, as
I've posted on this before.

'ere we go:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=3a7fe520.1278
4182%40news.cis.dfn.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=ahqa9vctbamlg
3ik4trsu0ca1tu2s2akus%404ax.com

See also
http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/reso...ais/flaine.htm

c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

Some. The igloo above Morillon is nice, my fave in the Flaine bowl is
L'Epicea.

Service in the Igloo can be a bit hit or miss sometimes. The Oreades above
Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value. There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me. There's also Les Moillets (I
think that's the name) at the base of the lift of the same name which can be
pretty good.

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Mmm.. So I can recommend a bunch of restaurants I can't remember the name
of:-)

Old October 17th 03, 11:41 AM
Ace

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:16:29 +0200, Ian Spare
wrote:

On 17/10/2003 12:01, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

Some. The igloo above Morillon is nice, my fave in the Flaine bowl is
L'Epicea.

Service in the Igloo can be a bit hit or miss sometimes.

True, they do get _very_ busy, particularly at weekends and/or
holidays.

The Oreades above
Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value.

Brasserie Cīmes? (Was Cīmes Rock Cafe). I wouldn't actually recommend
the place for its food, although I generally have a beer or two there
before/while filling in my snow report.

There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me.

Not sure where you mean exactly, but in the upper part of the shopping
bit there's Pizzeria Pierrot, which does very good pizzas and Savoyard
dishes.

There's also Les Moillets (I think that's the name) at the base of the
lift of the same name which can be pretty good.

Indeed - my favourite out-of-bowl restaurant. Great pattiserie, nice
sun terrace, friendly service and reasonable prices.

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Don't know that one - I guess you mean doen towards village level?

Mmm.. So I can recommend a bunch of restaurants I can't remember the name
of:-)

Oh, there's plenty of them in my mind too ;-)

Another one to make a date for is the Gite du Lac de Gers, which needs
careful planning and booking to fit in, being in the spearate, mainly
off-piste, Gers bowl.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
Old October 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Ian Spare

On 17/10/2003 13:41, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value.

Brasserie CŌmes? (Was CŌmes Rock Cafe). I wouldn't actually recommend
the place for its food, although I generally have a beer or two there
before/while filling in my snow report.

I mean Ski Set not Intersport :-) The restaurant has green awnings I think,
and the food is very good at lunch time.

There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me.

Not sure where you mean exactly, but in the upper part of the shopping
bit there's Pizzeria Pierrot, which does very good pizzas and Savoyard
dishes.

I mean at the top of the elevator lift thing towards the bottom of Grand
Vans and it's next door to the Ski Set which is the Atomic Test Center. Good
pitta bread with your own choice of fillings.

There's also Les Moillets (I think that's the name) at the base of the
lift of the same name which can be pretty good.

Indeed - my favourite out-of-bowl restaurant. Great pattiserie, nice
sun terrace, friendly service and reasonable prices.

Very pretty young waitress last season also :-)

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Don't know that one - I guess you mean doen towards village level?

Yes, next to the main chair lift. For a genuine surprise take the the green
run down, probably the best green in Europe :-)

There's a new place just opened right at the bottom of the cable car in the
old village as well, pizza etc, we went a few nights back and it was quite
nice. Not often skiable to that level though.

Another one to make a date for is the Gite du Lac de Gers, which needs
careful planning and booking to fit in, being in the spearate, mainly
off-piste, Gers bowl.

Booking ahead is best I think, the number (I think) is +33 (0) 450 34 44 83
I think you stay overnight as well (as indeed you can at the Igloo)

Old October 17th 03, 12:13 PM
Ace

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:00:56 +0200, Ian Spare
wrote:

On 17/10/2003 13:41, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value.

Brasserie Cīmes? (Was Cīmes Rock Cafe). I wouldn't actually recommend
the place for its food, although I generally have a beer or two there
before/while filling in my snow report.

I mean Ski Set not Intersport :-) The restaurant has green awnings I think,

Aye, that's the one.

and the food is very good at lunch time.

OK, I guess.

There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me.

Not sure where you mean exactly, but in the upper part of the shopping
bit there's Pizzeria Pierrot, which does very good pizzas and Savoyard
dishes.

I mean at the top of the elevator lift thing towards the bottom of Grand
Vans and it's next door to the Ski Set which is the Atomic Test Center. Good
pitta bread with your own choice of fillings.

Ah, The... err... bugger, I can't remember the name either. Yeah, it's
not bad, but like the Cīmes is in the village, so hardly a mountain
restaurant as such.

There's also Les Moillets (I think that's the name) at the base of the
lift of the same name which can be pretty good.

Indeed - my favourite out-of-bowl restaurant. Great pattiserie, nice
sun terrace, friendly service and reasonable prices.

Very pretty young waitress last season also :-)

They come and go...

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Don't know that one - I guess you mean doen towards village level?

Yes, next to the main chair lift. For a genuine surprise take the the green
run down, probably the best green in Europe :-)

I have skiied all the way down - once - and won't bother again, I
don't reckon.

There's a new place just opened right at the bottom of the cable car in the
old village as well, pizza etc, we went a few nights back and it was quite
nice. Not often skiable to that level though.

No. Quite.

Another one to make a date for is the Gite du Lac de Gers, which needs
careful planning and booking to fit in, being in the spearate, mainly
off-piste, Gers bowl.

Booking ahead is best I think, the number (I think) is +33 (0) 450 34 44 83
I think you stay overnight as well (as indeed you can at the Igloo)

You are correct (unless it's closed down since last year).

Old October 17th 03, 04:16 PM
Rod Jenkins

As it happens I''m heading that way for New Year and I can't wait. I've
never skied the area before, can anyone recommend any of the following?:

a) a good off piste guide
b) good piste/off piste skiing - the highlights if you like?
c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

Cheers,
Steve

There's a nice trad restaurant for an evening meal at Vercland at the same
level as the lift and 100m along the road, on the corner.
Rod

Old October 17th 03, 07:46 PM
Foucart-Dever

"Steve" a écrit dans le message de news:

c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

In Samoens village, there are a few very nice restaurant. Gathering a lot of
UK visitors is "Le Carline" on the way between the Tourism Office and the
Church.
For the typical house, the Tornalta (next to the main square). For the fun
"Le Pierrot des Neiges" (at the bottom of the road to Joux-Plane, left from
main square).
Pizza's (traditional) and beers at "La Louisiane"...

--
* /^\ Dominique Foucart
* /\ / \ * Photos et randos en Haute-Savoie
/ / \ V°o www.samoens.int.ms

Old October 17th 03, 08:11 PM
Steve

All,

Thanks a lot for all the responses. The look really useful, and they
have really wetted my appetite now!

I can't wait to get out there, it's a whole new ski area for me. If
anyone is out there over New Year I'll be the guy sking with a sheaf of
usenet printouts under my arm! Will also search the archives as suggested.

Cheers et bonne glisse,
Steve