Innsbruck Mountains (and bars)

Old September 21st 03, 07:10 PM
Gary Looft

Default Innsbruck Mountains (and bars)

Hi. I'm heading to Innsbruck in January 2004. I know that there's five
resorts surrounding Innsbruck. What I'd like to know is which are
worth going to. Stubai Glacier appears to be the highest/largest and
most varied so we will definitely be going there. What is good, what
is not? Also, I read that you can arrange a day bus trip to Kitzbuhel
or St Anton. Which one would you recommend?

We are staying at the Hotel Tautermann, about a 5 minute walk from old
town. We prefer bars and not dance clubs. Does anyone know of some
good bars in the area?

Tobogganing. Night-time drunken tobogganing sounds like fun. Has
anyone done this in the Innsbruck area? Where? Tell me about it.

Thank you.
Gary
Old September 22nd 03, 06:58 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

"Gary Looft" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi. I'm heading to Innsbruck in January 2004. I know that there's five
resorts surrounding Innsbruck. What I'd like to know is which are
worth going to. Stubai Glacier appears to be the highest/largest and
most varied so we will definitely be going there. What is good, what
is not?

Axamer Lizum, South East Innsbruck, is worth spending one day. You are going
to try 5 of the 6 slopes of the Olympics.

If you wanna try the 6th, you just get to the Patscherkofel, Sout West
Innsbruck. Both resorts are really close to Innsbruck.

Stubai Gletscher is still worth spending one day, maybe 2, according to
weather conditions.

Much better is Hintertux Gletscher, but you need some more time to get
there. When you're there, always according to weather conditions, you won't
regret a single minute of the trip. I find this Gletscher the best I ever
tried. The slopes have nothing to envy from non-Gletscher ski resorts.
Another day has been spent.

I can't help with Kitzbuehel and St. Anton trips from Innsbruck, but in your
shoes I would invest my time in the trips.

Have fun.

Enotrio

Old September 22nd 03, 08:12 AM
Nigel

Take the train West from Innsbruck to St Anton its much quicker . Train
stops right in town. Taiun East takes you to Kitzbuhl & Zell & Zee
You used to be able (not sure if they still do it) ride the Olympic
Bobsleigh Run at IGLS . You got down the run in a special 3 man
bobsleigh sandwiched between to Pro riders.
Stubai is really a place to go to when there is a lack of snow in the
resorts although it does get busy . There are some nice little resorts
along the StubaiTal (Stubai Valley ) ie; Fulpmes & Schlick2000
http://www.schlick2000.at/
http://www.stubaital.at/fulpmes/

Another nice little resort near Innsbruck is Steinach .Actually has some
quite decent skiing there when the snows good.

As for Bars . Innsbruck has more than Vienna and actually has good
nightlife .

Nigel

Old September 22nd 03, 08:33 AM
Ian Spare

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:58:03 +0200, "Enotrio Pallanzo"
wrote:

"Gary Looft" ha scritto nel messaggio
m...
Hi. I'm heading to Innsbruck in January 2004. I know that there's five
resorts surrounding Innsbruck. What I'd like to know is which are
worth going to. Stubai Glacier appears to be the highest/largest and
most varied so we will definitely be going there. What is good, what
is not?

Axamer Lizum, South East Innsbruck, is worth spending one day. You are going
to try 5 of the 6 slopes of the Olympics.

But pick a weekday, it's pretty busy weekends. Fantastic station,
every run is excellent in a way that larger stations just can't
manage.

Ian

--
Yeah, because you never know when the value of 2^15 will change and
you have to go through all your code fixing it.
Old September 22nd 03, 01:37 PM
Florian Anwander

Hi Gary
What is good, what
is not? Also, I read that you can arrange a day bus trip to Kitzbuhel
or St Anton. Which one would you recommend?

As others mentioned:
Hintertux is similar to Stubai, but it is much longer to drive (45 to 60 =

minutes) and on the weekend, there is horrible traffic.

For weekends I can recommend K=FChtai. It is around 10 km more than Axams=
=2E=20
It is not that challenging as Axams, but most times with very good snow=20
(it starts at 2000m!).

Florian

Old October 3rd 03, 11:31 AM
Steve

"Gary Looft" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi. I'm heading to Innsbruck in January 2004. I know that there's five
resorts surrounding Innsbruck. What I'd like to know is which are
worth going to. Stubai Glacier appears to be the highest/largest and
most varied so we will definitely be going there. What is good, what
is not? Also, I read that you can arrange a day bus trip to Kitzbuhel
or St Anton. Which one would you recommend?

We are staying at the Hotel Tautermann, about a 5 minute walk from old
town. We prefer bars and not dance clubs. Does anyone know of some
good bars in the area?

Tobogganing. Night-time drunken tobogganing sounds like fun. Has
anyone done this in the Innsbruck area? Where? Tell me about it.

I believe Gary is referring to the various ski passes available, some of
which offer a "free" day in Kitz or St Anton....

Given the choice I would plump for St Anton for reasons of accessibility. As
far as I remember, there is also a complimentary transfer included (bus
picks up at various spots and takes people to a central place where they
board the main bus). You can indeed go by train but it's not included and
you still have to get to Innsbruck railway station and from St Anton station
to the lifts (probably 10 minutes in ski boots).

As others have said, there are a fair few good bars around Innsbruck,
depends what you like, but it is a nursing and university town so it's
fairly lively. There are local papers which will give you an idea of what's
on during the time you are there.

Night-time tobogganing: you'll scare yourself silly on some of the runs that
locals do, and I wouldn't necessarily get too hammered before doing it if
the ice is fast. A couple that are well-known are Maria Waldrast (near the
entrance to the Stubai) and the one above Götzens (which is a blast - you
get taken up by tractor crammed in a trailer and the run is unlit and long
with fabulous views down onto the city below).

You may also want to try the bob run above Innsbruck at Igls (only lasts
seconds but pure adrenaline). Try to avoid the tour company times and days
if possible as it can get way overcrowded and tense.

--
Steve
http://www.skiseefeld.com/