Ski show

Old September 24th 03, 10:15 AM
Paul Schofield

Default Ski show

Thinking of visiting the ski show in Birmingham this weekend - never been to
one before - is it worth it?

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old September 24th 03, 01:12 PM
Rob White

Went a couple of years ago - there were some good stands, but it was
expensive to get in and most traders simply wanted your money.

Rob

Old September 24th 03, 05:38 PM
The Older Gentleman

Paul Schofield wrote:

Thinking of visiting the ski show in Birmingham this weekend - never been to
one before - is it worth it?

No.

hth

--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F TS150 ST70 YTC#3
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 IHABWTJ#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 OSOS#1
Old September 25th 03, 08:52 AM
Steve

If you are in the market for ski gear or want to have a look at the
tour operators and tourist office stands it's worth it, but I've
always found the attractions to be very lame. They tend to have some
sort of mini dry slope with a few shows put on by ski schools etc, but
these are not worth the effort. Also, don't expect many bargains, if
you are lucky you may find shops selling last year's gear, but they
tend to sell out of the normal sizes so you are left with XXL os XXS
stuff. Probably a good place to go if you want some skinny skis and
rear-entry boots though!

I do resent having to pay to get in, it's basicaly a big market place
for the industry. I suspect that the stall holders pay a lot for the
privilage too, so someone is cashing in big time.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:15:59 +0100, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

Thinking of visiting the ski show in Birmingham this weekend - never been to
one before - is it worth it?

~ If emailing, please use: Steve_A_Haigh
~ @
~ hotmail.com
~
Old September 26th 03, 10:38 AM
John Elgy

Paul Schofield wrote:
Thinking of visiting the ski show in Birmingham this weekend - never been to
one before - is it worth it?

I have been a couple of times and find it very disappointing. OK, I know
if it was poor the first time why did I go again? It is really just a
ski equipment market place with some tour operators and small chalet
owners touting for business (could be useful. The prices are close to UK
shop prices, if not identical, but the shopping more frenzied.

Though I have found companies selling ex hire skis, and bought a good
pair cheap once, don't go with an expectation of a bargin.

The best bit was bumping into friends I had not seen for a long time.

John

Old September 27th 03, 07:12 AM
Andy Petersen

Hi Paul

I went last night - the show seems to contract every year and traders who
come one year don't always come again because of the high cost.

If you are after clothing then there is quite a lot to see, but if you are
after equipment then it is not so good. On the equipment side there seems to
be more for boarders rather than skiers.

It cost us £10 each to get in + £6 parking. Can of Grolsch was
£3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parking is a particular rip-off (they never used to charge for this) - there
are no buses so you have to walk to hall but they still have the cheek to
charge £6!

Don't know where you live, but if you can get to the London show easily then
it is much better. If you are a Midlander (like me) and you need some kit
then it is probably worth going. If not don't bother.

Andy

Old September 27th 03, 10:16 PM
Me

Last year was my first and last visit to this show. I was totally disgusted
at having to pay £6 to park then having to walk for about 1/2 an hour to get
to the hall.
Of course as long as folks keep going, it won't change...
SF.

Hi Paul

Buying gear in US Plake Snowboarding 55 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
BoostMobileProSnowboarding on FoxSportsNet Starting May 8 what-s that scrapey noise 7 Snowboarding 1 April 30th 04 03:37 AM