removing rear fastener on sns profil binding

Old January 4th 05, 06:28 AM
Chris Crawford

Default removing rear fastener on sns profil binding

Hi - I'm replacing a profil binding with a new pilot binding. I've
removed all the old binding except the heel plate which is attached by
a small yellow plug in at the rear of the heel plate. All adhesive has
been pried free so the heel plate is rotating about this plug.

The profil binding is a grey model about 2 years old. The little
yellow plastic plug has a slight flat head screw slot in the top but
I'm pretty sure this is not for unscrewing.

My recollection is that this is a little expander plastic plug that I
pushed down into a hole in the ski but I really can't remember.

How can I remove it? Pry the heel plate off until it breaks? Drill it
out? Is this a replaceable part I can find if I want to re-use the
binding?

Thanks for your help!!

Regards
Chris

Old January 4th 05, 09:07 AM
Andrew Lee

"Chris Crawford" wrote:
Hi - I'm replacing a profil binding with a new pilot binding. I've
removed all the old binding except the heel plate which is attached by
a small yellow plug in at the rear of the heel plate. All adhesive has
been pried free so the heel plate is rotating about this plug.

The profil binding is a grey model about 2 years old. The little
yellow plastic plug has a slight flat head screw slot in the top but
I'm pretty sure this is not for unscrewing.

The plug is just pressed in. You can gently pry the plug off by sticking a
sharp tipped knife a bit into the seam and gently prying up on the side of
the plug, working around the button. Be careful not to break your knife tip
though! Use a thin knife. It's just pressed in. If you can't manage that,
stab the tip of a screwdriver through the
"slight flat head screw slot" of the plug and pry it off that way. Once the
plug is off, you'll see the screw underneath.

Old January 4th 05, 04:19 PM
Ralph

In article .com,
"Chris Crawford" wrote:

Hi - I'm replacing a profil binding with a new pilot binding. I've
removed all the old binding except the heel plate which is attached by
a small yellow plug in at the rear of the heel plate. All adhesive has
been pried free so the heel plate is rotating about this plug.

The profil binding is a grey model about 2 years old. The little
yellow plastic plug has a slight flat head screw slot in the top but
I'm pretty sure this is not for unscrewing.

My recollection is that this is a little expander plastic plug that I
pushed down into a hole in the ski but I really can't remember.

How can I remove it? Pry the heel plate off until it breaks? Drill it
out? Is this a replaceable part I can find if I want to re-use the
binding?

Thanks for your help!!

Regards
Chris

Older SNS bindings have a plastic pin that seats in the heel plate and
goes into the hole drilled in the ski. The pin has "ribs" on its shaft
to help keep it in the ski and prevent the heel plate from loosening. If
your binding has this pin then you can remove it by prying the heel
around the pin with a putty knife until the pin pops out. Another
alternative is to simply drill the pin out. If you need to reuse the
heel plate you can use a screw instead of the pin.

New SNS Profil bindings have a screw holding the heel plate down. The
screw seats deeply into the heel plate and the top of the screw is
hidden by a plastic plug. To remove the plug you can do as Andrew Lee
suggests. Another way to remove it is to use a sharp pointed tool like
an awl or ice pic and punch a small hole into the plug. You can then use
the tool to pry out the plug. You can still use the plug with the hole
in it but I suggest sealing the hole with a little glue to keep water
(melted snow) from getting into the screw area.

When doing all this mucking around with the heel plate, especially if
you are removing the plastic pin, you might just enlarge the hole in the
ski si that when affixing the new binding the screw does not tighten. A
good way to "fix" this problem is to epoxy a golf tee tightly in the
hole then cut it off flush with the top of the ski. Let the epoxy harden
firmly then drill a new hole in the golf tee to accept the binding screw.
Ralph Thornton
http://www.ernordic.com/ralph.htm
Old February 26th 05, 01:29 AM
satsuma satsuma is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crawford
Hi - I'm replacing a profil binding with a new pilot binding. I've
removed all the old binding except the heel plate which is attached by
a small yellow plug in at the rear of the heel plate. All adhesive has
been pried free so the heel plate is rotating about this plug.

The profil binding is a grey model about 2 years old. The little
yellow plastic plug has a slight flat head screw slot in the top but
I'm pretty sure this is not for unscrewing.

My recollection is that this is a little expander plastic plug that I
pushed down into a hole in the ski but I really can't remember.

How can I remove it? Pry the heel plate off until it breaks? Drill it
out? Is this a replaceable part I can find if I want to re-use the
binding?

Thanks for your help!!

Regards
Chris
I'm considering replacing a Profil Binding with an NNN-BC binding. Since I didn't mount the binding origininally, how difficult and what is involved in removing the binding? I don't think I'll have trouble with the mounting.
Thanks (in advance).