Skiing in Italy

Old September 1st 05, 01:43 PM
ant

Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

[1] Well, OK, I ate a whole baby octopus at Todai, but I only did it
to say I did and only one. They look like flowers made of
tentacles. I'm still ashamed.

Marinated baby octopus is quite tasty. Unfortunately, it's also kinda
pricy - if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a delicacy I'll go
for a nice runny blue cheese.

That was mega-popular here for some years. They'd marinate it, and then
sizzle it. Often a main ingredient in Marinara sauce (which here means full
O fish) for pasta and pizza, too. Little tentacles sticking up everywhere.
Still easy to get at the fisho (fish shop) or in frozen bags. I never got
the impression they were expensive... lobster is quite pricey though.

--
ant

Old September 1st 05, 01:46 PM
ant

The Real Bev wrote:
ant wrote:

I found a steakhouse menu! Haven't been in a steakhouse in years,
and I have to say, looking at this menu, I can see why. I'm not sure
we even have any around here. anyway, this is what Outback should
be, if it was australian. http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Lordy, I didn't think you guys could be that cute even if you tried
really REALLY hard!

It's in a big tourist trap, so I guess they wanted to impress tourists. The
food looks a bit much and overblown, but that's your steakhouse. Not a
bloomin onion to be seen (thank god).

--
ant

Old September 1st 05, 01:47 PM
ant

Richard Henry wrote:
And then there's the little known fact that fresh oysters are not
just raw but actually still alive, one of the very few animals that's
commonly eaten alive. I like my food fresh, but not quite *that*
fresh.

When I took my final SCUBA class checkout dive (from a boat anchored
off California's Channel Islands) the instructor gathered up some
live scallops and fed them to all who were willing, while sitting on
the sand about 40 feet down.

Yeah, we used to have oysters all around the rocks near our beach house, but
they've all been eaten over the years. all you needed was a stubby knife.
and no sea urchin is safe, people cut them open with scissors and eat them
with a spoon, right there where they find them. Their insides are very
brightly coloured and smell fishy but a lot of people like them.

--
ant

Old September 1st 05, 01:51 PM
ant

Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

I found a steakhouse menu! Haven't been in a steakhouse in years,
and I have to say, looking at this menu, I can see why. I'm not sure
we even have any around here. anyway, this is what Outback should
be, if it was australian. http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy’s Bush Combo ... you’ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

There were lots of skippys, apparently. We call all roos Skippy. The Greeks
here call US Skippy!
yabbies, btw, are the native version of lobsters. They are very small and
live in waterholes, you catch them by tieing a bit of string to a lump of
meat, chuck it in the dam, and when you feel it move, you very slowly pull
it in, and usually there is the yabby, eating the meat. Barra (Barramundi)
is a very popular fish from the northern territory. That's where the crocs
are from too. We eat them all (I don't, except the roos, the rest are too
fishy).

--
ant

Old September 1st 05, 03:41 PM
Walt

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

anyway, this is what Outback should
be, if it was australian. http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy’s Bush Combo ... you’ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

There were lots of skippys, apparently. We call all roos Skippy. The Greeks
here call US Skippy!

I didn't know that. I was referring to the old TV show Skippy the Bush
Kangaroo.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/cta/Aus/Skippy1966.htm

or it's modern incarnation

http://xnerg.blogspot.com/

yabbies, btw, are the native version of lobsters. They are very small and
live in waterholes, you catch them by tieing a bit of string to a lump of
meat, chuck it in the dam, and when you feel it move, you very slowly pull
it in, and usually there is the yabby, eating the meat. Barra (Barramundi)
is a very popular fish from the northern territory. That's where the crocs
are from too. We eat them all (I don't, except the roos, the rest are too
fishy).

Ok. But you still didn't translate "napped with pepper sauce". I
understand pepper sauce, but what's up with the napped? Nothing to do
with nappies, I hope.

//-Walt
Old September 1st 05, 05:28 PM
BrritSki

ant wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

And then there's the little known fact that fresh oysters are not
just raw but actually still alive, one of the very few animals that's
commonly eaten alive. I like my food fresh, but not quite *that*
fresh.

When I took my final SCUBA class checkout dive (from a boat anchored
off California's Channel Islands) the instructor gathered up some
live scallops and fed them to all who were willing, while sitting on
the sand about 40 feet down.

Yeah, we used to have oysters all around the rocks near our beach house, but
they've all been eaten over the years. all you needed was a stubby knife.
and no sea urchin is safe, people cut them open with scissors and eat them
with a spoon, right there where they find them. Their insides are very
brightly coloured and smell fishy but a lot of people like them.

Yes I've had Oursin in restaurants in Nice. Taste a bit iodiney...
Old September 1st 05, 09:45 PM
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

anyway, this is what Outback should
be, if it was australian. http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy?s Bush Combo ... you?ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

There were lots of skippys, apparently. We call all roos Skippy. The Greeks
here call US Skippy!

I didn't know that. I was referring to the old TV show Skippy the Bush
Kangaroo.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/cta/Aus/Skippy1966.htm

or it's modern incarnation

http://xnerg.blogspot.com/

You mean somebody thought it was worth reviving? Even the kids got bored with
the original. Wild Kingdom was better, sometimes you got to see some animal
tear some other animal into bite-size chunks.

yabbies, btw, are the native version of lobsters. They are very small and
live in waterholes, you catch them by tieing a bit of string to a lump of
meat, chuck it in the dam, and when you feel it move, you very slowly pull
it in, and usually there is the yabby, eating the meat. Barra (Barramundi)
is a very popular fish from the northern territory. That's where the crocs
are from too. We eat them all (I don't, except the roos, the rest are too
fishy).

Ok. But you still didn't translate "napped with pepper sauce". I
understand pepper sauce, but what's up with the napped? Nothing to do
with nappies, I hope.

According to google:

* A fabric whose surface fibers have been raised by mechanical means,
thereby producing a softer, more compact fabric that usually provides greater
warmth (example; flannel shirts, blankets, etc.).
www.smartasn.org/glossary.html

* brushed: (of fabrics) having soft nap produced by brushing; "a dress of
brushed cotton"; "a fleecy lining"; "napped fabrics"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Not quite it, I think. Don't we know any wine snobs? Given their inclination
to force words into new meanings they ought to be able to explain (while
giving us pitying looks for our plebeian ignorance, of course) exactly what it
means.

They probably also know what "scrupulously clean" coffeepots are. I rinse
mine out after pouring the coffee into a thermos, do you suppose that's
honorable enough?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 2nd 05, 12:48 PM
ant

Walt wrote:

There were lots of skippys, apparently. We call all roos Skippy. The
Greeks here call US Skippy!

I didn't know that. I was referring to the old TV show Skippy the
Bush Kangaroo.

Yes, I know. There were lots of skippys. A whole paddockful. Much like Full
House and their assortment of babies.
and now we call roos "skippy", like we call cops "mr plod" or "the plod".
Yanks might not get the reference but poms and kiwis will.

Ok. But you still didn't translate "napped with pepper sauce". I
understand pepper sauce, but what's up with the napped? Nothing to do
with nappies, I hope.

I have no idea what those semi-literate tourist trappers meant by Napped.
Only usage I can think of is in fabric, but it still doesn't seem to relate
all that well. They probably made it up!

--
ant

Old September 2nd 05, 01:32 PM
Walt

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:

There were lots of skippys, apparently. We call all roos Skippy. The
Greeks here call US Skippy!

I didn't know that. I was referring to the old TV show Skippy the
Bush Kangaroo.

Yes, I know. There were lots of skippys. A whole paddockful. Much like Full
House and their assortment of babies.

Or to cite another example, Lassie. Of course, they actually used
female Roos to play Skippy, while all the dogs that played Lassie were
male. The camera guy had to be really careful about not photographing
Lassie from the wrong angle.

But I've never seen the "Lassie special" on any menus.

Ok. But you still didn't translate "napped with pepper sauce". I
understand pepper sauce, but what's up with the napped? Nothing to do
with nappies, I hope.

I have no idea what those semi-literate tourist trappers meant by Napped.
Only usage I can think of is in fabric, but it still doesn't seem to relate
all that well. They probably made it up!

Ok. I don't feel quite as stupid then.

//-Walt
Old September 2nd 05, 01:48 PM
BrritSki

Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

Walt wrote:

Ok. But you still didn't translate "napped with pepper sauce". I
understand pepper sauce, but what's up with the napped? Nothing to do
with nappies, I hope.

I have no idea what those semi-literate tourist trappers meant by
Napped. Only usage I can think of is in fabric, but it still doesn't
seem to relate all that well. They probably made it up!

I think it's from the french "nappe" (with an accent thingy on the e).

It just means a suace has been poured over it.

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
Inexpensive skiing Italy - UK Half term week Dale Lawrence General 0 December 29th 03 05:41 PM
Inexpensive skiing Italy - UK Half term week Dale Lawrence Nordic Skiing 0 December 29th 03 05:40 PM