Skiing in Italy

Old August 31st 05, 09:04 PM
Walt

ant wrote:

I found a steakhouse menu! Haven't been in a steakhouse in years, and I have
to say, looking at this menu, I can see why. I'm not sure we even have any
around here. anyway, this is what Outback should be, if it was australian.
http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy’s Bush Combo ... you’ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

//-Walt
Old August 31st 05, 09:52 PM
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:

And then there's the little known fact that fresh oysters are not just
raw but actually still alive, one of the very few animals that's
commonly eaten alive. I like my food fresh, but not quite *that* fresh.

I guess you never saw the film of Nixon in China eating a live carp with
Chairman Mao at a banquet. Apparently they fling the live fish into a hot
pan, flip it over, and serve it sill wiggling.

No, and I've never seen Fear Factor either, but I've heard about it.
Movies, TV, and evil power-mad megalomaniacs don't count as "common".

Banquet food is banquet food and not limited to heads of state. Having been a
willing participant in a Chinese banquet, I can well believe that a live
burned fish might be considered a great delicacy.

I don't see any real difference between eating live carp and live oysters.
It's only my status as an omnivore that prevents me from adding "live lettuce"
to the list -- the supermarket sells butter lettuce with the roots still
attached, claiming it to be fresh because IT'S ALIVE! Even if it was cheaper
than the dead stuff I'd feel less than comfortable eating it. Sometimes the
cult of freshness goes too far.

[1] Well, OK, I ate a whole baby octopus at Todai, but I only did it to say I
did and only one. They look like flowers made of tentacles. I'm still
ashamed.

Marinated baby octopus is quite tasty. Unfortunately, it's also kinda
pricy - if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a delicacy I'll go for
a nice runny blue cheese.

Cheese is good, but cheesecake is better.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old August 31st 05, 09:55 PM
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

I found a steakhouse menu! Haven't been in a steakhouse in years, and I have
to say, looking at this menu, I can see why. I'm not sure we even have any
around here. anyway, this is what Outback should be, if it was australian.
http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy?s Bush Combo ... you?ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

What does "napped" mean in this context? Menu English is disgusting.

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

Roos got teeth?

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.
Old August 31st 05, 10:30 PM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

I found a steakhouse menu! Haven't been in a steakhouse in years, and

I have
to say, looking at this menu, I can see why. I'm not sure we even have

any
around here. anyway, this is what Outback should be, if it was

australian.
http://www.mooers.com.au/menu.html

Wow. They have this delicacy:

Skippy?s Bush Combo ... you?ll be jumping for joy
over our kangaroo, napped with pepper sauce, barra
tails, cooee croc & yabby therm-moodor

What does "napped" mean in this context? Menu English is disgusting.

Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

Roos got teeth?

Ever seen an opossum up close?

Old August 31st 05, 10:34 PM
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:

I don't see any real difference between eating live carp and live oysters.

Oysters don't wriggle.

Or look at you with those big sad eyes.

I'll go for a nice runny blue cheese.

Cheese is good, but cheesecake is better.

Hmmm. I've never had blue cheese cheesecake. I guess Richard was right
about me being unadventerous.

//-Walt
Old September 1st 05, 12:41 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
Walt wrote:
Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

Roos got teeth?

Ever seen an opossum up close?

Yes, but he was flat as a pancake with a tail.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 1st 05, 01:00 AM
Richard Henry

Richard Henry wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
Walt wrote:
Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

Roos got teeth?

Ever seen an opossum up close?

Yes, but he was flat as a pancake with a tail.

I surprised one sleeping in my garage storage shelves. I pulled out a box,
and there were just TEETH!. The box went back in. I found the hole where
he was getting in and out, got up at 3AM, and closed him out for good.

Old September 1st 05, 04:29 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
Walt wrote:
Ya think it's the real Skippy? Wouldn't he be a little long in the
tooth by now?

Roos got teeth?

Ever seen an opossum up close?

Yes, but he was flat as a pancake with a tail.

I surprised one sleeping in my garage storage shelves. I pulled out a box,
and there were just TEETH!. The box went back in. I found the hole where
he was getting in and out, got up at 3AM, and closed him out for good.

I surprised one out in the back yard once (probably the one who ate all the
grapes before they were ripe). He stuck his head into a jade plant and
figured he was invisible. I could inspect his rear quarters at my leisure,
but the head was well hidden. Fortunate, because they're so ugly they should
be killed on the spot and buried quickly. Flattened is better than not.

Raccoons are very different. I'll give a raccoon a peanut butter jar to clean
any day.

--
Cheers, Bev
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old September 1st 05, 04:37 AM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Banquet food is banquet food and not limited to heads of state. Having

been a
willing participant in a Chinese banquet, I can well believe that a live
burned fish might be considered a great delicacy.

I have been a guest at 2 Chinese weddings. At both of them, one of the
much-anticipated delicacies was sea cucumber. The one at our table looked
kind of like what Lorena Bobbitt threw out the car window, uncircumcised.

It might have been raw. I passed.

Old September 1st 05, 04:44 AM
lal_truckee

Richard Henry wrote:

Ever seen an opossum up close?

A while ago [OK: decades ago] we had several cats; which got fed in
individual bowls lined up along the back of the house. One day I
returned shortly after feeding them and a possum had joined the cats.
All were quietly feeding at bowls, lined up pretty as you please (and
no, I don't remember what happened to the missing cat that supplied the
extra bowl.) Went on for several weeks. Dam thing looked at first glance
like a giant rat, but I figured even my stoned out cats wouldn't be
tolerating a rat stealing their food right in front of them.

More recently one of the dogs came in to tell me he had a prize to show
me - dead possum in the yard. I went to get the shovel and the "dead"
possum was gone - walked off. Even more recently the other dog three
different times pulled the same stunt. This dog is smarter - she figures
even a possum has a hard time just "playing" dead if their guts are
spread around for viewing, so that's how she lays them out for my
inspection.

I like Racoons - and they're much tougher than my wuss dogs.

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
Inexpensive skiing Italy - UK Half term week Dale Lawrence General 0 December 29th 03 05:41 PM
Inexpensive skiing Italy - UK Half term week Dale Lawrence Nordic Skiing 0 December 29th 03 05:40 PM