Salt to improve snow?

Old February 14th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Rominger

Default Salt to improve snow?

Hello everyone,

I've just read over the news that they have salted the snow in
Whistler to make the snow harder and faster.

This might be obvious (or not), but for this tropical skier I couldn't
understand the logic of this. I searched over about this and I
couldn't find an explanation why salt would improve snow conditions,
specially when it is above freezing temperatures (as far as I know,
salt is used to melt snow).

Anyone can help me on this?

Old February 14th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Rominger

On 14 fev, 02:53, Rominger wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've just read over the news that they have salted the snow in
Whistler to make the snow harder and faster.

This might be obvious (or not), but for this tropical skier I couldn't
understand the logic of this. I searched over about this and I
couldn't find an explanation why salt would improve snow conditions,
specially when it is above freezing temperatures (as far as I know,
salt is used to melt snow).

Anyone can help me on this?

Never mind, I used the right words and found this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_ski_race_course