backpacking on skis

Old February 13th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default backpacking on skis

I'm looking to go backpacking on skis this winter. Currently I have a
pair of Fischer Crown E99 skis, SNS-BC bindings and Salomon Escape 7.

I have issues with this setup because the skis seems so thin and I'm
wondering if a wider ski would be more stable on untracked snow while
carrying a large backpack. Also, the boots I have don't provide the
ankle support I'm used to while hiking, but some of those big clunker
plastic boots I've seen seem so heavy and cumbersome. Also, it's a
little hairy heading down steeps with this setup as well.

My goal is to head up to Tuolumne Meadows and head to the ski hut
where I've stashed food for the winter. It's a good 20 mile trek to
get there, probably up Tioga Pass Road (12 miles 2,500' ascent) then 8
miles over rolling terrain.

Any ideas or tips would be fantastic. Thanks!
Old February 14th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

On Feb 13, 10:23*am, wrote:
I'm looking to go backpacking on skis this winter. Currently I have a
pair of Fischer Crown E99 skis, SNS-BC bindings and Salomon Escape 7.

I have issues with this setup because the skis seems so thin and I'm
wondering if a wider ski would be more stable on untracked snow while
carrying a large backpack. Also, the boots I have don't provide the
ankle support I'm used to while hiking, but some of those big clunker
plastic boots I've seen seem so heavy and cumbersome. Also, it's a
little hairy heading down steeps with this setup as well.

My goal is to head up to Tuolumne Meadows and head to the ski hut
where I've stashed food for the winter. It's a good 20 mile trek to
get there, probably up Tioga Pass Road (12 miles 2,500' ascent) then 8
miles over rolling terrain.

Any ideas or tips would be fantastic. Thanks!

Oops, the ski link I sent above is not the Guide. Here it is
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3660167
It is a world of difference from the skinny double cambered E99s.
The Guide has an alpine camber so flexes nicely for turns.
Repeat: it is not a hard snow/ice ski.
Old February 14th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

wrote:
I'm looking to go backpacking on skis this winter. Currently I have a
pair of Fischer Crown E99 skis, SNS-BC bindings and Salomon Escape 7.

I have issues with this setup because the skis seems so thin and I'm
wondering if a wider ski would be more stable on untracked snow while
carrying a large backpack. Also, the boots I have don't provide the
ankle support I'm used to while hiking, but some of those big clunker
plastic boots I've seen seem so heavy and cumbersome. Also, it's a
little hairy heading down steeps with this setup as well.

This is at least as heavy gear as the heaviest used by any of the dozen
skiers who skied Telemark-Lillehammer (300 km) over 8 days before the
'94 Olympics.

Personally I used my original (very long!) Fischer skate skis for this
trip, which entailed a _lot_ (90-95%) of trail-breaking.

I'd previously used the same setup for 10-15 years of skiing Telemark
from north to south, including a lot of ups and downs, most of it in the
partly forested parts of the hills and mountains.

I've just made a Google Earth file showing the approximate track we
followed on one of those trips:

http://tmsw.no/Matthislopp.kmz

The three waypoints are in the locations we stayed overnight.

My goal is to head up to Tuolumne Meadows and head to the ski hut
where I've stashed food for the winter. It's a good 20 mile trek to
get there, probably up Tioga Pass Road (12 miles 2,500' ascent) then 8
miles over rolling terrain.

Sounds like a great trip!

Are you going to be all alone, or will you have a (small) group of
people to share the work of breaking trail?

Any ideas or tips would be fantastic. Thanks!

Good luck!

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 14th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 13, 9:23*am, wrote:
I'm looking to go backpacking on skis this winter. Currently I have a
pair of Fischer Crown E99 skis, SNS-BC bindings and Salomon Escape 7.

I have issues with this setup because the skis seems so thin and I'm
wondering if a wider ski would be more stable on untracked snow while
carrying a large backpack. Also, the boots I have don't provide the
ankle support I'm used to while hiking, but some of those big clunker
plastic boots I've seen seem so heavy and cumbersome. Also, it's a
little hairy heading down steeps with this setup as well.

My goal is to head up to Tuolumne Meadows and head to the ski hut
where I've stashed food for the winter. It's a good 20 mile trek to
get there, probably up Tioga Pass Road (12 miles 2,500' ascent) then 8
miles over rolling terrain.

Any ideas or tips would be fantastic. Thanks!

I am probably heading that way in a week or too, too.

I have used the Karhu XCD system with plastic Garmont Escursion boots
for 3 days in Desolation Wilderness and found that setup very
cumbersome to ski on flats and uphills ( but very dry and warm!). This
is probably b/c of my XC racing background. I have then switched to
Salomon X-ADV 6 boots and Madshush Glittertinds. The boots were way
more comfortable to ski up and down. The boots need to be given some
TLC though (no sticking them into fire to dry out!) I do have a good
background of XC ski racing, so I did not have much trouble skiing
down in powder with a 60 lb backpack, despite my friends' initial
skeptisism. The skis were also lighter and had a better glide on flats
than the Karhu XCDs. But I still wanted a faster and lighter package,
so I ended up getting the old school (but newer version of) the E99s
and I could not be happier.

I would recommend checking out AlpenGlo (?) in Tahoe City: they have
great rental equipment to try out.

Old February 16th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Feb 13, 9:23*am, wrote:
I'm looking to go backpacking on skis this winter. Currently I have a
pair of Fischer Crown E99 skis, SNS-BC bindings and Salomon Escape 7.

I have issues with this setup because the skis seems so thin and I'm
wondering if a wider ski would be more stable on untracked snow while
carrying a large backpack. Also, the boots I have don't provide the
ankle support I'm used to while hiking, but some of those big clunker
plastic boots I've seen seem so heavy and cumbersome. Also, it's a
little hairy heading down steeps with this setup as well.

My goal is to head up to Tuolumne Meadows and head to the ski hut
where I've stashed food for the winter. It's a good 20 mile trek to
get there, probably up Tioga Pass Road (12 miles 2,500' ascent) then 8
miles over rolling terrain.

Any ideas or tips would be fantastic. Thanks!

I've used both my E-99s (68-55-66 by 205 cm with SNS-BC bindings) and
Fisher Outtabounds (88-68-78 by178 cm with 3-pin + cable bindings) for
hut to hut touring. The Outtabounds are heavier because of the 3-pin
+ cable bindings and the plastic boots.

My E-99 with SNS-BC and Salomon Greenland boots are ligher and easier
to ski distances. The Outtabounds and Garmont Excursion (plastic
touring) boots make for better turning in deep snow. They both have
similar flotation (one longer, the other wider). If you do not need
to make a lot of turns, the E99 set-up will be faster.

The weakness in your current system will be the Escape 7 boots. I
didn't think that the Escape 7s would fit the SNS-BC bindings properly
because they are light touring boots intended for the SNS Profile
bindings, not the SNS-BC bindings. The Escape 7 boots seem too light
to turn in deep snow even if they fit the SNS-BC bindings.

Edgar