Backpack Recommendations?

Old November 27th 04, 03:05 AM
Steve

Default Backpack Recommendations?

Too All:

My Mountainsmith Bugaboo pack is about 7 years old and needs replacing.
Last year, I looked locally and on-line and I could not find a pack that met
the specs that I wanted. I had to do some more sewing to repair my old pack
last year and I really do not want to do repairs again this year.

These are the specs that I am looking for:

1) SHORT - 14 or 15 inch torso size (the BIG problem)

2) 2500 cubic inch capacity (a little more is OK, a little less is not)

3) Panel loader (top loader with side access zips is OK if it meets 1 and 2)

4) can carry fat skis vertically

From what I have seen, manufacturers no longer make packs in the 2500 cubic
inch size that have vertically adjustable shoulder harnesses, which is why I
am having trouble finding a big enough pack for my short torso.

If you have any recommendations for a pack that meets these specs, then
please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Old November 28th 04, 10:33 PM
Daymiller

Try http://www.kifaru.net/SPIKE.HTM
Old November 28th 04, 11:07 PM
Gary S.

On 28 Nov 2004 23:33:56 GMT, (Daymiller) wrote:

Try
http://www.kifaru.net/SPIKE.HTM

No huge surprise.

Patrick Smith, founder of Mountainsmith, went on to start up Kifaru
after he sold Mountainsmith.

He took the sled and Mountainshelter designs with him to the new
company, as well as some pack designs. All of these he has refined a
bit further.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old November 29th 04, 03:01 AM
Steve

Gary S. wrote:
On 28 Nov 2004 23:33:56 GMT, (Daymiller) wrote:

Try
http://www.kifaru.net/SPIKE.HTM

No huge surprise.

Patrick Smith, founder of Mountainsmith, went on to start up Kifaru
after he sold Mountainsmith.

He took the sled and Mountainshelter designs with him to the new
company, as well as some pack designs. All of these he has refined a
bit further.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Gary:

Thanks for the info. I can easily see the similarities in the packs on the
website and my old Bugaboo.

Steve

Old November 29th 04, 12:56 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old November 29th 04, 01:32 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old November 30th 04, 05:37 AM
Steve

Booker C. Bense wrote:

In article r2Tpd.569961$mD.344737@attbi_s02,
Steve wrote:
Too All:

My Mountainsmith Bugaboo pack is about 7 years old and needs
replacing. Last year, I looked locally and on-line and I could not
find a pack that met the specs that I wanted. I had to do some more
sewing to repair my old pack last year and I really do not want to
do repairs again this year.

These are the specs that I am looking for:

1) SHORT - 14 or 15 inch torso size (the BIG problem)

2) 2500 cubic inch capacity (a little more is OK, a little less is
not)

3) Panel loader (top loader with side access zips is OK if it meets
1 and 2)

4) can carry fat skis vertically

From what I have seen, manufacturers no longer make packs in the
2500 cubic inch size that have vertically adjustable shoulder
harnesses, which is why I am having trouble finding a big enough
pack for my short torso.

If you have any recommendations for a pack that meets these specs,
then please let me know.

_ Two possible suggestions:

Vaude Packs: This is a german company that's very hard to find in
the USA, but they have the most adjustable strap system for small
packs that I've seen. My 3 year old daughter and I can use the
same day pack. You might try Sierra Trading post for closeouts,
but they don't seem to have any at the moment.
Wilderness Exchange in Berkeley also has some Vaude packs.

Arctery'x Khamski in a small: Very nice ski pack, but pricey.
If you can't find the Khamski, take a look at the Needle.

You might also poke around for some women's specific models,
They generally have shorter torsos.

_ Booker C. Bense

Booker:

Thanks for the info.

I took a look at the Arctery'x Khamski at the Arctery'x website and it does
NOT meet 2 of my specs - 1) SHORT - 14 or 15 inch torso size and 3) Panel
loader, The Arctery'x Needle 45 does not meet 1 of my specs 1) SHORT - 14
or 15 inch torso size.

The Gregory website shows the Zula as fitting a little smaller (but maybe
still too big) than the Arctery'x Khamski and meeting my other specs.

Thanks again,

Steve

Old November 30th 04, 06:51 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old November 30th 04, 07:21 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old December 3rd 04, 05:55 AM
Steve

Booker C. Bense wrote:
_ Two possible suggestions:

Arctery'x Khamski in a small: Very nice ski pack, but pricey.
If you can't find the Khamski, take a look at the Needle.

Booker:

Thanks again for the info. I tried on a small Arctery'x Khamski at a
repected local shop and both the salesperson and I agreed that it was just a
little too long!

Steve