first double black!

Old February 15th 04, 08:43 PM
The Real Bev

"F. Plant" wrote:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip

But if you have the straps on, it seems like it would take quite an
effort of coordination -- or quite an incredibly long fall -- to manage
to remove the straps and slide your hand down to right above the basket.

As bev states in followup

No I didn't!

Me, I don't use the straps, and now I've apparently been punished for
this -- the strap connector thingie on one of my poles broke off. I've
been wanting new poles, well, ever since I got these, but they refuse to
break. Ah well -- at least no one in their right mind would ever steal
'em.

I find I get much more control with using tight straps -worn under the palm
to support the hand. Also easier to hold and to flick forward. Feel naked
without them, and its also less to pick up after a yard sale. If you are
worried of catching a branch you can get poles w. detachable staps. I've
got Goode poles w. this feature and they also have a lock on top if you
don't want them to detach.

Bad enough falling on your ski tips without having to worry about
falling on (and getting a bruise from as well as bending) your poles
too. I hate falling and try to avoid it, and falling on metal stuff is
even worse.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 15th 04, 09:16 PM
F. Plant

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
"F. Plant" wrote:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip

But if you have the straps on, it seems like it would take quite an
effort of coordination -- or quite an incredibly long fall -- to

manage
to remove the straps and slide your hand down to right above the

basket.

As bev states in followup

No I didn't!

Sorrry Bev, I should have been clearer. Just agreeing to your clarification
of how to slow a fall w. poles that you had previously posted (or at least
on my news server its previous).

snip

Bad enough falling on your ski tips without having to worry about
falling on (and getting a bruise from as well as bending) your poles
too. I hate falling and try to avoid it, and falling on metal stuff is
even worse.

Unfortunately where I ski the surface is as hard as my equipment so it hurts
either way :-(
Good excuse for having graphite poles though :-)

F. Plant

Old February 16th 04, 12:31 AM
Eric Holeman

In article ,
Bob Lee wrote:

Fall less?
Fall-all-the-time Bob

I understand there are those who relish their falls, live for them, feel
that if you're not falling, you're not learning, blah blah blah. Fine for
them. My attitude is that if I wanted to fall down and bruise myself and
look like a dork, I'd snowboard.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

Old February 16th 04, 12:34 AM
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Bad enough falling...
worry about falling...
I hate falling...
and falling

Fall less?

Fall-all-the-time Bob

Perhaps you have not yet paid all your dues, grasshopper.

I spent a lot of time falling on rocks when we were dirtbiking.
Bruises, scrapes, and one untreatable dislocation. At some point I
learned to roll along the ground instead of scraping off skin, but I
seem to have unlearned that particular skill. Moreover, I suspect that,
contrary to what I desperately wish to believe, I don't recover as fast
as I used to.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 16th 04, 12:38 AM
The Real Bev

"F. Plant" wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

Bad enough falling on your ski tips without having to worry about
falling on (and getting a bruise from as well as bending) your poles
too. I hate falling and try to avoid it, and falling on metal stuff is
even worse.

Unfortunately where I ski the surface is as hard as my equipment so it hurts
either way :-(

Yeah, but mostly snow isn't as lumpy as equipment. Not here after 9:00
am, anyway.

Good excuse for having graphite poles though :-)

So "breakaway" poles cost extra? I should have asked her for the broken
pole, I'm sure that it could have been fixed with epoxy and some kind of
sleeve :-(

Old February 16th 04, 02:04 AM
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Bad enough falling...
worry about falling...
I hate falling...
and falling

Fall less?

Fall-all-the-time Bob

Perhaps you have not yet paid all your dues, grasshopper.

Possibly - I fall so much I think I'm working out something from a past
life.

I spent a lot of time falling on rocks when we were dirtbiking.
Bruises, scrapes, and one untreatable dislocation.

Untreatable? Is it still dislocated?

Yes. The collarbone where it joins the breastbone, not where it joins
the shoulder. Result of landing on my side after a 6-foot (or more)
fall when I stupidly drove my motorcycle off an edge, believing
(erroneously) that there was a trail there. It doesn't hurt, just
sticks out a bit. The orthopedist said that it would only be a problem
if I had to hold heavy things over my head (like a plasterer, for
instance).

...Moreover, I suspect that, contrary to what I desperately wish
to believe, I don't recover as fast as I used to.

I can't figure out if things hurt more now, or if I just have less
patience for pain....much less patience.

Now I seem to have things that hurt that don't go away.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 16th 04, 07:45 PM
MattB

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
snip

Okay, I lie. I could try Eldora, which supposedly is less than an
hour from my house ... but I haven't been there yet.

Haven't skied there, but their ticketing system is AWESOME! ;-)

Matt

Old February 16th 04, 09:05 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-16, MattB penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:
snip

Okay, I lie. I could try Eldora, which supposedly is less than an
hour from my house ... but I haven't been there yet.

Haven't skied there, but their ticketing system is AWESOME! ;-)

Oh? Do tell?

--
monique

Old February 16th 04, 09:34 PM
MattB

On 2004-02-16, MattB penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:
snip

Okay, I lie. I could try Eldora, which supposedly is less than an
hour from my house ... but I haven't been there yet.

Haven't skied there, but their ticketing system is AWESOME! ;-)

Oh? Do tell?

My employer: www.siriusware.com
I did the install and web integration for them. Actually the web integration
is just so-so until my new asp.net version comes out. It's not quite done
yet.

Matt

Old February 16th 04, 09:45 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-16, MattB penned:
On 2004-02-16, MattB penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote: snip

Okay, I lie. I could try Eldora, which supposedly is less than an
hour from my house ... but I haven't been there yet.

Haven't skied there, but their ticketing system is AWESOME! ;-)

Oh? Do tell?

My employer: www.siriusware.com I did the install and web integration
for them. Actually the web integration is just so-so until my new
asp.net version comes out. It's not quite done yet.

Oh.

Well, grats, but bah. I was hoping you were going to describe something
like what Solitude had (at least a few years ago): flexible tickets that
allowed you to ski a few runs today, a few some other time.

--
monique