Warmest Winter Gloves?

Old February 8th 04, 06:03 PM
Hugh Jass

Default Warmest Winter Gloves?

Hi,

Due to a couple of fristbite incidents when I was young, my fingers get cold
pretty quick while boarding.

Boarding in NH, ME and VT also makes for some cold, windy days.

I've tried mittens, but hate the lack of dexterity that goes along with
them.

What is the consensus of the "warmest gloves" ??

I've tried hotfingers but they weren't very hot.

I realize I might have to spend $100 or so, but it's worth it to me. They
must be rugged too, as I fall a lot when trying new tricks!

I see a pair of Outdoor Research Polar Ice gloves that are made for
ice-climbing. wonder if these would be OK for boarding. They should be
pretty rugged & warm to hold up to ice climbing.

Looking for comments/suggestions.

Thanks!

Old February 8th 04, 09:01 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

While pondering the Universe, (Hugh Jass) wrote
GJvVb.254401$na.416638@attbi_s04:

Hi,

Due to a couple of fristbite incidents when I was young, my fingers get
cold pretty quick while boarding.

Boarding in NH, ME and VT also makes for some cold, windy days.

man.. you're a week late!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...UTF-8&oe=utf-8
&threadm=Xns9480AF76DA253birdfundyahoocom%40216.16 8.3.44&rnum=5
&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmiskulin%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%
26sa%3DN%26scoring%3Dd

I should be getting my pair of gloves around tuesday.. just in time
for it getting warm again in VT!

Old February 8th 04, 11:28 PM
Hugh Jass

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
While pondering the Universe, (Hugh Jass) wrote
GJvVb.254401$na.416638@attbi_s04:

Hi,

Due to a couple of fristbite incidents when I was young, my fingers get
cold pretty quick while boarding.

Boarding in NH, ME and VT also makes for some cold, windy days.

man.. you're a week late!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...UTF-8&oe=utf-8
&threadm=Xns9480AF76DA253birdfundyahoocom%40216.16 8.3.44&rnum=5
&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmiskulin%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%
26sa%3DN%26scoring%3Dd

I should be getting my pair of gloves around tuesday.. just in time
for it getting warm again in VT!

I guess the OR stuff is pretty much what I'm looking for! That's weird how
I just missed this. I just subscribed to this group and did a quick search
and came up empty.

I like the Dry Ice gloves and will be getting some soon. Friday The 13th +
WorkDay Off = Sunday River here I come!!!

Gunstock was a little cold this weekend but at least it was a close drive.

Thanks again!

Old February 9th 04, 07:37 PM
Sharkie

"Hugh Jass" wrote in message news:GJvVb.254401$na.416638@attbi_s04...
Hi,

Due to a couple of fristbite incidents when I was young, my fingers get cold
pretty quick while boarding.

I've tried mittens, but hate the lack of dexterity that goes along with
them.

I had some finger frostbite incidents as well in the past.
When my fingers get cold, they're not only get cold, they hurt!

I can't point you to a specific brand but do take a second look
at mittens. I have tried a lot of gloves and mittens, and I always
recommend mittens. They are MUCH warmer than gloves. I've been riding
in really cold conditions (negative 30F) and still kept my fingers warm.
I don't think there is a glove on the market that can beat that.

And if you're worried about the inconvenience, there are certain hybrids
where you put on a mitten shell over a glove. Gives you the best of
both worlds.

Stay warm, and enjoy the ride!
Old February 9th 04, 07:44 PM
Riding Wolf

" Due to a couple of fristbite incidents when I was young, my fingers get
cold
pretty quick while boarding.

Boarding in NH, ME and VT also makes for some cold, windy days.

I've tried mittens, but hate the lack of dexterity that goes along with
them.

What is the consensus of the "warmest gloves" ??

Dunno but I have very easely cold hands, but that always passes as soon as I
start boarding.
But I should go and have a look in Motorbike shops too, check the
Winter-gloves.
During the winter you sit still on a bike, so you need even better gloves.
Trust me, I got wind-gaurds and my hands still freeze off when I ride over a
100km when it's winter.
So a decent pair of motor-gloves could work well, I gonna try mine on my
next boarding trip.

--
Ride with the wolves, howl like the wind.
Ride with the wind, howl like the wolves.

Ride a Bike,
Ride a Snowboard,
Ride a Motorbike,
but RIDE ON forever!

Old February 13th 04, 01:04 AM
Hugh Jass

"Sharkie" wrote in message
om...
"Hugh Jass" wrote in message

[...]

Well....the Dry Ice gloves were nice, but not exactly snowboard material.
Leather palm soaked up some water and started to freeze. Transmitted some
cold to my hand and also the glove became a little stiff. So I sent them
back for a full refund (thanks REI!).

Now I've take Sharkie's advice and ordered the Mutant Modular Mitt.
http://www.orgear.com/cgi-bin/hazel....mod_mitts.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/354u2

These look like they just might be "it"! Finger extension for dexterity but
room in the mitten for all 4 fingers when dexterity's not needed. Tough,
non-leather palm. Considered BOMBPROOF. Plus I found a retailer that had
'em for only $80.

Can't wait to try these puppies out on the mt.
Ride on!

Old February 13th 04, 02:09 AM
Mike T

Now I've take Sharkie's advice and ordered the Mutant Modular Mitt.

http://www.orgear.com/cgi-bin/hazel....mod_mitts.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/354u2

These look like they just might be "it"! Finger extension for

dexterity but
room in the mitten for all 4 fingers when dexterity's not needed.

Tough,
non-leather palm. Considered BOMBPROOF. Plus I found a retailer that

had
'em for only $80.

I think you'll be very happy with them. I have the Mt Baker, same
thing w/o the lobster claw, and they are bombproof, they have stood up
to all the sharp parts on my plate bindings. Nice job on finding the
mutants for $80!!!

Old February 13th 04, 03:07 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Hugh Jass" wrote in

a retailer that had 'em for only $80.

Can't wait to try these puppies out on the mt.
Ride on!

ha.. I just got mine yesterday. Well.. my 2nd
pair. The first pair the thumb on the liner
on right hand seemed to have been sewn outward
instead of upward.. or at least enough that it
was uncomfortable. REI was great and took them
back and found one last pair in Minn. and over
nighted them. But I am jealous that you paid
only $80 and I $115!

Old February 14th 04, 04:16 PM
Hugh Jass

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
"Hugh Jass" wrote in

a retailer that had 'em for only $80.

Can't wait to try these puppies out on the mt.
Ride on!

ha.. I just got mine yesterday. Well.. my 2nd
pair. The first pair the thumb on the liner
on right hand seemed to have been sewn outward
instead of upward.. or at least enough that it
was uncomfortable. REI was great and took them
back and found one last pair in Minn. and over
nighted them. But I am jealous that you paid
only $80 and I $115!

I hope the quality lives up to the price.
Here's the $80 place for these:
https://secure5.nexternal.com/shared...roductID=7 03

or:
http://tinyurl.com/228fh

From a company called "US Elite Gear" that supplies gear to the military,
special ops and James Bond-type people.
This company probably takes "bombproof" literally!