Problems with contact lenses

Old September 29th 04, 12:33 PM
Mark Herskovitz

Default Problems with contact lenses

Can anyone recommend a solution to a problem I have where my contact
lenses quickly dry out when I'm skiing downhill. I first started
skiing about 6 years ago and have found that as my skills improve and
I can go faster, this problem gets worse. Last winter my wife and I
were at Snowbird and after a discussion with a very helpful
salesperson at the ski shop, bought a new pair of Oakley googles to
try and eliminate this problem but they have had very little effect.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Old September 29th 04, 01:30 PM
tg

My recommendation? Can you say LASIK? Had it done 5 years ago. Best money I
ever spent. I had gas permeable contact lenses which are more rigid due to
how bad my eyesight was. I had terrible problems with eyes drying out
whenever wind was going past - skiing/boarding, at the beach, running etc...
Also sun sensitivity from it. Since LASIK it has been a blast with no
problems.

Now for the caution - make sure you get an experienced eye surgeon to do the
surgery. It is an operation on living tissue and should only need to be done
once. If you find them talking about "touching it up" later - find another.
It took me 16 weeks with no contacts for my eyes to stabilize in shape. If
you have soft lenses the wait should be much less. My doctor was adamant
about me waiting until they had been stable for 4 weeks. And don't go to the
assembly line guys, pay extra and make sure it is done correctly.

The current going rate from a good eye surgeon is about $1600 -$1800 per eye
here in the states for LASIK.

YMMV.

Good luck.

om...

Old September 29th 04, 01:58 PM
Ron - NY

But were you near sighted or far sighted ? My eye doctor told me that I'm
still not a good candidate for Lasik because I'm far sighted . I wear
extended wear contacts and ski without much problem but I do find that I
have to swap out a fresh pair after every day of skiing as they get
cloudy,dried up and ruined after a full day.

Ron

Old September 29th 04, 02:36 PM
tg

I was VERY nearsighted with astigmatism. It was initially approved for those
with a prescription of -4 or less and it has been increasing as the process
has improved. I believe it is now approved for use up to a -8
prescription.LASIK has now been approved for true farsightedness for a
couple of years. I was lucky that my doctor had been involved since the
first FDA trials of the excimer laser. The worse your eyes the more you need
a good, experienced doctor.

However, if you are nearing 35- 40 or over and need reading glasses, LASIK
will not help that. That is not farsightedness, but presbyopia which mimics
farsightedness. It is due to a natural thickening of the lens so the muscles
of the eye can't focus at shorter distances. Here is a great web page that
discusses that: http://www.focusers.com/focpage2.html .

t...

Old September 29th 04, 07:22 PM
Mike Treseler

Mark Herskovitz wrote:

Can anyone recommend a solution to a problem I have where my contact
lenses quickly dry out when I'm skiing downhill. I first started
skiing about 6 years ago and have found that as my skills improve and
I can go faster, this problem gets worse. Last winter my wife and I
were at Snowbird and after a discussion with a very helpful
salesperson at the ski shop, bought a new pair of Oakley googles to
try and eliminate this problem but they have had very little effect.

It's not the goggles, it's the contacts.
Consider getting some disposables
and keep some spares in your pocket
to swap out when they start bugging you.

---Mike Treseler

Old September 29th 04, 08:22 PM

"tg" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well, I'm someone who's milage varied. When you go for LASIK, there
is a lot that they gloss over or never tell you to begin with. They
focus a lot on 20/20 vision but vision is a lot more than just that
one aspect. Check out www.surgicaleyes.org before you consider having
it done and ask a lot of questions.

As for me, I live over 10,000 ft and have had frequent problems with
dry eyes. If you have problems with dry eyes with contacts, my guess
is that LASIK will not cure the problem. (IANAD) My biggest problem
is my eyes drying out when I sleep and sticking to my eye lids. If
I'm not careful about opening my eyes first thing in the morning, I
can damage my cornias. It's happened at least twice while my eyes
were healing after surgery. While not having to wear glasses anymore
is convient, my sight will never be as good as when I had my glasses.

snoig
Old September 29th 04, 10:25 PM
The Real Bev

Mark Herskovitz wrote:

Can anyone recommend a solution to a problem I have where my contact
lenses quickly dry out when I'm skiing downhill. I first started
skiing about 6 years ago and have found that as my skills improve and
I can go faster, this problem gets worse. Last winter my wife and I
were at Snowbird and after a discussion with a very helpful
salesperson at the ski shop, bought a new pair of Oakley googles to
try and eliminate this problem but they have had very little effect.
Thanks for all suggestions.

I have no problems with my contacts, but conditions in the SoCal
mountains are probably very different (7-8K and generally warm -- 40-60
degreesF) from where you are. I have Uvex wraparound goggles with
ventilating foam all the way around the lens as well as holes at the
sides. Never fogged up and my eyes don't dry out at all, although they
do when I wear largish sunglasses while bicycling. Try asking in
rec.skiing.alpine, where there are a lot of really knowledgeable people
willing to share their expertise.

Lasik seems a bit drastic for a problem that proper eyewear can probably
solve :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
11111111111111111111111111111
Old September 29th 04, 10:27 PM
The Real Bev

The Real Bev wrote:
Try asking in
rec.skiing.alpine, where there are a lot of really knowledgeable people
willing to share their expertise.

Duh. I thought I read Mark's post in sci.med.vision.

--
Cheers, Bev
=====================================
Old September 29th 04, 10:48 PM
Dave M

tg wrote:

(snip but ditto)

The current going rate from a good eye surgeon is about $1600 -$1800 per eye
here in the states for LASIK.

And worth every penny, especially for skiing (snow or even melted snow
in the summer -- how odd it was to see the boat when water skiing)

Dave M.

YMMV.

Good luck.

. com...

Old September 30th 04, 12:33 AM
The Real Bev

Dave M wrote:

tg wrote:

(snip but ditto)

The current going rate from a good eye surgeon is about $1600 -$1800 per eye
here in the states for LASIK.

And worth every penny, especially for skiing (snow or even melted snow
in the summer -- how odd it was to see the boat when water skiing)

If I were going to do something like that I'd ask the classiest teaching
hospital I could find for a referral to a proven non-quack. I'm
sensitized now because of the incompetent ophthalmologist my mom has
been misdiagnosed by for the last five years...

"Mark Herskovitz" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a solution to a problem I have where my contact
lenses quickly dry out when I'm skiing downhill. I first started
skiing about 6 years ago and have found that as my skills improve and
I can go faster, this problem gets worse. Last winter my wife and I
were at Snowbird and after a discussion with a very helpful
salesperson at the ski shop, bought a new pair of Oakley googles to
try and eliminate this problem but they have had very little effect.
Thanks for all suggestions.

--
Cheers,Bev
"Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built
into the User?" -- Steve Shaw, regarding Win95