Skiing vs. Riding

Old January 29th 04, 01:56 AM
SkaredShtles

lal_truckee wrote in
:

snip
P.S. Generally I do use my GS skis in both powder and hardpack - no
sweat, although in these conditions I'd be tempted to pull out the
rando rig for the softer (not wider!) skis.

Because what could be better than getting into 2' of fresh fluff with a
pair of nice, long, soft skinny skis? Talk about getting the most out of
the powder experience........

-T.O.M.-

Old January 29th 04, 02:54 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:18:51 CST, Chuck
wrote:

I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

I'm confused. I've used all sorts of skis in powder, to include
skinny skis, fat skis, shaped skis, tele skis, and AT skis, etc.

Never seem to have a problem.

I think the problem is your powder. Maybe you should find some
different powder.

-Astro

---
AstroPax Photography
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astropax/index.htm
---

Old January 29th 04, 03:09 AM
SkaredShtles

AstroPax wrote in
:

wrote:

I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

I'm confused. I've used all sorts of skis in powder, to include
skinny skis, fat skis, shaped skis, tele skis, and AT skis, etc.

Never seem to have a problem.

I think the problem is your powder. Maybe you should find some
different powder.

Yeah. Isn't *real* powder commonly referred to as "hero snow"? As in, you
could be on a pair of barrel staves and it would still be easy to ski?

-T.O.M.-

Old January 29th 04, 02:38 PM
Chuck

Baka Dasai wrote in
news:slrnc1hopt.4r6.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:42:40 CST, lal_truckee said (and I quote):
Chuck wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote in
7.132:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

One could argue that the boarder didn't need special equipment to
ride on the powder though. The same board works anywhere on the
mountain. I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never
again.

Actually, the same board doesn't work everywhere on the mountain as
you, if you have carving skis, know. For the hardpack carving regime
the boarder would need a carving board and hardboots which wouldn't
be worth much in the powder.

Kinda true. I ride hard boots and a carving snowboard on the
hardpack, and its a pretty fantastic experience, rivaling a good
powder day. But I also see a lot of good snowboarders ripping some
nice carved turns in their soft boots and freeride boards. And then
there are hybrid boards (usually designed for hard booters) that work
well in both powder and carving on hardpack.

Guess I just don't get out enough. I've never even seen "hard" boots on a
snowboard.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old January 29th 04, 03:08 PM
klaus

Baka Dasai wrote:
Kinda true. I ride hard boots and a carving snowboard on the
hardpack,

I have one set of skis for everything and half a binding and it works
great. But.. what's hardpack?

-klaus

Old January 29th 04, 03:16 PM
Chuck

AstroPax wrote in
:

wrote:

I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

I'm confused. I've used all sorts of skis in powder, to include
skinny skis, fat skis, shaped skis, tele skis, and AT skis, etc.

Never seem to have a problem.

I think the problem is your powder. Maybe you should find some
different powder.

Could be. The only powder I've ever encountered is the eastern variety.
About 20 inches last Feb in the middle of the President's Day weekend
storm.

Old January 29th 04, 03:32 PM
lal_truckee

SkaredShtles wrote:
AstroPax wrote in
:

wrote:

I've tried using my carving skis in powder before. Never again.

I'm confused. I've used all sorts of skis in powder, to include
skinny skis, fat skis, shaped skis, tele skis, and AT skis, etc.

Never seem to have a problem.

I think the problem is your powder. Maybe you should find some
different powder.

Yeah. Isn't *real* powder commonly referred to as "hero snow"? As in, you
could be on a pair of barrel staves and it would still be easy to ski?

You're speaking of "Youtaw Powder?" I'd add "Targhee Powder" to that
list of "you could be on a pair of barrel staves and it would still be
easy to ski."

You know, the Jackson video that kicked this round off is pretty nice
(at least the second half.) I love the sheet-eating look the skier gives
the cameraman - sort of a combination of "Oh My, this is nice" and "you
dummy, why are you filming instead of skiing?"

Repeated for the url challenged:
http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

Old January 29th 04, 10:10 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:

Kinda true. I ride hard boots and a carving snowboard on the
hardpack,

I have one set of skis for everything and half a binding and it works
great. But.. what's hardpack?

The stuff around the car when you dig it out. Always seems that way
around here, anyway.

(I found the Tercel; well, I never really lost it - I knew which mound
it was under, not like the garbage can. But it was hardpack digging.)

Old January 29th 04, 10:52 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
The stuff around the car when you dig it out. Always seems that way
around here, anyway.

Gotcha.

(I found the Tercel; well, I never really lost it - I knew which mound
it was under, not like the garbage can. But it was hardpack digging.)

I found the Saab. It's about half dug out. And getting buried
again. Damn convertibles. The top is partially collapsed. Nothing a big
hammer can't fix. The tailpipe was about 1 inch off the ground. Low
rider Saab.

-klaus

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing Downhill Like Riding a Pony Ed Vogel Nordic Skiing 0 February 27th 04 06:04 PM