Andorra - conditions right now

Old December 10th 03, 01:56 PM
Ian Spare

Default Andorra - conditions right now

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Ian
Old December 10th 03, 02:04 PM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:56:36 +0100, Ian Spare
wrote:

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Been checking the Ski Club site for a while and it's looking rather
promising, I must say.

Currently 40/140cm at Soldeu with the comment "There are good
conditions in Soldeu at the moment. All lifts are open and there's a
deep base already, equalling lots of fun on the mountain. " and 60/80
at Pas de la Casa, again all lifts open.

These reports direct from the resort info, of course, as we don't
start repping there until Dec 21st.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 10th 03, 02:18 PM
Paul Schofield

wrote:

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Currently 40/140cm at Soldeu with the comment "There are good
conditions in Soldeu at the moment. All lifts are open and there's a
deep base already, equalling lots of fun on the mountain. " and 60/80
at Pas de la Casa, again all lifts open.

Worth noting that a gondola can take you to & from mid-station so 40cm at
the bottom shouldn't be a problem

These reports direct from the resort info, of course, as we don't
start repping there until Dec 21st.

errm - checking out the conditions already - suppose you're just counting
down the days?

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old December 10th 03, 02:21 PM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:18:58 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Currently 40/140cm at Soldeu with the comment "There are good
conditions in Soldeu at the moment. All lifts are open and there's a
deep base already, equalling lots of fun on the mountain. " and 60/80
at Pas de la Casa, again all lifts open.

Worth noting that a gondola can take you to & from mid-station so 40cm at
the bottom shouldn't be a problem

40cm can be quite skiable anyway, so long as it stays cold and they
re-piste it every night.

These reports direct from the resort info, of course, as we don't
start repping there until Dec 21st.

errm - checking out the conditions already - suppose you're just counting
down the days?

Pretty much, yeah. Haven't written the weekly programs yet though -
thought I'd wait and see, as neither of us have skied there before :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 10th 03, 02:33 PM
Ian Spare

wrote:

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Been checking the Ski Club site for a while and it's looking rather
promising, I must say.

Currently 40/140cm at Soldeu with the comment "There are good
conditions in Soldeu at the moment. All lifts are open and there's a
deep base already, equalling lots of fun on the mountain. " and 60/80
at Pas de la Casa, again all lifts open.

I just found that, I'm in two minds really it looks reasonable but I
can't decide if it's any better than anywhere near home though.

I can't seem to quickly find a hotel/b&b either....
Old December 10th 03, 03:34 PM
David Brown :o\)

I can't seem to quickly find a hotel/b&b either....

This is the problem I've found, Ryan air go to all three localish airports
for £5.99, the week I want to go in January but all accomadation seems to be
package deals. Had I been able to go from manchester I could have got
flight/transfers and accomadation for the week for £149 (

I'll keep searching tho'.

Old December 10th 03, 03:50 PM
Paul Schofield

"David Brown )" wrote in message
I can't seem to quickly find a hotel/b&b either....

This is the problem I've found, Ryan air go to all three localish airports
for £5.99, the week I want to go in January but all accomadation seems to

be
package deals. Had I been able to go from manchester I could have got
flight/transfers and accomadation for the week for £149 (

I'll keep searching tho'.

Try Canillo - its attached to the Soldeu - El Tarter ski area by gondola (&
ski bus if your so inclined) and apparently has several hotels and pensions.
There is Encamp, another town slightly further down the valley that has a
cable car to the Pas area. IIRC these towns are used by Spanish tourists
driving up to ski for weeks and weekends. Even if the resort hotels are full
there should be vacancies in accommodation at this time of year.

There are links from the websites of the 2 ski areas

Old December 10th 03, 03:54 PM
Ace

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:34:39 -0000, "David Brown \)"
wrote:

I can't seem to quickly find a hotel/b&b either....

This is the problem I've found, Ryan air go to all three localish airports
for £5.99, the week I want to go in January but all accomadation seems to be
package deals. Had I been able to go from manchester I could have got
flight/transfers and accomadation for the week for £149 (

I'll keep searching tho'.

You tried he http://www.andorramania.com/hotels_gb.htm ?

Sadly, they don't seem to have on-line availability query, so you'll
have to email or call.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 10th 03, 06:48 PM
Ian Spare

wrote:

I can't seem to quickly find a hotel/b&b either....

This is the problem I've found, Ryan air go to all three localish airports
for £5.99, the week I want to go in January but all accomadation seems to be
package deals. Had I been able to go from manchester I could have got
flight/transfers and accomadation for the week for £149 (

I'll keep searching tho'.

You tried he http://www.andorramania.com/hotels_gb.htm ?

Sadly, they don't seem to have on-line availability query, so you'll
have to email or call.

I'm pretty sure I can't be bothered now :-) It's much easier just to
go down the road to Verbier on relfection. I'll go to Barcelona on
Monday for work and come back Tues/Wednesday. Looking at the map I can
go up to Soldeu from Barcelona just for the day which'l be nice :-)

Ian
--
Yeah, because you never know when the value of 2^15 will change and
you have to go through all your code fixing it.
Old December 10th 03, 11:37 PM
Alex Heney

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:18:58 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Anyone happen to know if Andorra is any good at the moment ? I've the
chance to go from Barcelona sometime in the next week and wondered if
it was worth it.

Currently 40/140cm at Soldeu with the comment "There are good
conditions in Soldeu at the moment. All lifts are open and there's a
deep base already, equalling lots of fun on the mountain. " and 60/80
at Pas de la Casa, again all lifts open.

Worth noting that a gondola can take you to & from mid-station so 40cm at
the bottom shouldn't be a problem

We were skiing to the base with only 25cm reported when I was there a
few years ago. But only on the blue & green runs, the blacks lower
down were all closed then.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Sumo Wrestling: survival of the fattest.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom

conditions at snoqualmie? alpental? valerie Snowboarding 1 January 23rd 04 02:07 PM
Conditions at Hunter NY? PK General 0 December 31st 03 11:35 AM
2 Alpes glacier conditions PG European Ski Resorts 0 August 30th 03 09:01 AM
Andorra - Help in finding accomodation TJH European Ski Resorts 0 August 24th 03 01:55 PM
What to do in Andorra? ToddD European Ski Resorts 6 July 24th 03 04:48 PM