Does Such a Ski Exist?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 29th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jack O

Default Does Such a Ski Exist?

I'm looking for advice on skis to demo this year for the kind of
skiing that I do. I'm 53 years old and started skiing 5 years ago. I
ski about 20 days per year, mostly in Utah - Alta, Snowbird, Brighton
& Solitude.

I ski with some buddies from my ski club, who are mostly better skiers
than I am. I ski almost exclusively on single-black ungroomed runs.
While I do encounter some deep snow, I spend a lot of time in tracked
bumps with at least some powder component. I skis relatively slowly
through the bumps, picking my way, not blasting through them. This is
what I like to do.

I own a pair of 170cm Rossignol Bandit B1's that I bought when I began
skiing 5 years ago, and have been on them since. I would like to buy
a new pair of skis this year that will enhance my experience in this
type of snow, and perhaps help me to advance a bit.

Can you suggest some skis that I might demo on my first trip out this
year? Something like a K2 Apache Xplorer seems to fit in some ways -
mid-fat and reasonable turn radius, but I have heard that I should be
looking at a "softer" ski. Should I be looking more at "front-side"
skis because I spend much time in the bumps? What length? Any advice
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack