King Fire

Old September 19th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default King Fire

Placer County Water Agency:
"The mammoth King Fire spread rapidly into Placer County Wednesday
night. … The head of the fire has moved all the way to Placer County
Water Agency’s Hell Hole Reservoir on the Rubicon River. It seriously
threatens PCWA power generation and PG&E transmission facilities. The
swath of fire in Placer County is 6 miles wide and fire officials report
no containment after last night."

For those unfamiliar with the area, they are talking about where people
often end up when lost out of bounds from Alpine ski slopes.

About 80,000 acres already, and the fire is headed in the direction of
Truckee, Squaw, or Alpine, about equal distance from each on slightly
different bearings. Wind will decide. The ski hills are both sparsely
forested and should fare well. Lifts are more vulnerable, I would
suppose - mostly steel but sufficient man-made stuff to mess up if swept
by even a ground fire. Buildings are all wood sided.

Truckee has much of it's housing (including my Mansion on the fire side
of town) embedded in forested areas - no guaranteed natural fire breaks.

Not good. Bud not yet disaster.

Lucky for Squaw I already paid for passes and locker. g
Old September 21st 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Fire's slowed way down, winds softening, and helped by sparse timbering
at altitude in some of the fire burn path, now much slower expansion
toward ski hills. That's the good news. Bad news is a few spot fires
from embers are popping up ahead of the main fire and may expand themselves.