Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 4th 05, 01:47 AM
klaus

The Real Bev wrote:
If you go during the week and get there early enough to be one of the first
up, correct. There are NO lines at first, so there's no particular reason to
stop.

Ok, so for the first run, you loose maybe 10 seconds.

I can't rest unless I'm sitting down. Standing with bent knees is

rapidly
exhausting.

Hmmm.. bummer. try spending those ten seconds you save to find some
better equipment.

The smarter ones recognize me after a few runs -- there aren't that many
grown-up (don't even think of using any other word) women skiing fast and
alone on old skis. Then they just wave and say "Come on out."

You have smart lifties?

And you still just queue up in line. Do a google search on queuing theory.

I have a resident expert. While theory is generally good, sometimes
observation is sufficient.

Then, observe what happens once the chairs fill up. If the observation
doesn't fit the theory, you could have quite a windfall by publishing
it. You could rock the mathematics world. I won't hold my breath.

The liftie can see the color of the passes or even remember that

she's already
passed some people. At some point I think they just stop caring. The liftie
part is easy and takes no time.

You must have honest people in CA. Here in gang infested Utah, most
resorts check each and every time, most actually scanning a bar code on
the ticket. Takes several seconds, but again, when you have a 15 minute
line, doesn't really mater.

What's annoying is having to stop, trudge along in a line to get through the
rotating knives, turn a sharp corner without bashing the people around you
with your skis or poles, trudge along (frequently a bit uphill for some
ungodly reason) to the next sharp turn (repeating avoidance manoeuvres) then
insert yourself into a group of 3 boarders (maybe 6 lines, but who's
counting?) who are afraid to let you in even though they collectively outweigh
you by 200 pounds or allow you to join and then hang back at the last minute,
allowing you to ride in solitary splendor to the top.

Well, the way they arranged their queue has nothing to do with how they
scan tickets. Just sounds inept to me. They even use infrared sensors on
the cats here to assure that the queue is level.

What mostly annoys me is things that get in my way because they're designed
stupidly. If I lived in NO I'd be really ****ed that the damn levees broke
because the people we pay to take care of things like that were asleep at the
switch.

Yup, yet we'll vote them back in for a second term.

Where I live it ****es me off that freeway on-ramps with metering signals
default to red; even when there's nobody in line you have to stop at the
signal and wait for it to turn green. Over days, weeks, months and years that
wastes a tremendous amount of time, gas, brake lining, etc. If it defaulted
to green and then turned red for n seconds after the sensor informed it that a
car had passed by everybody would be a lot better off. There is NO downside.

That's how they work here. Since I do not drive during rush hour, the
light is always green and I don't even have to slow down.

People don't get grouchy because they get older, they get grouchy because
they've seen so much **** like that that they're no longer willing to cut any
slack at all for idiots because they've already used up their supply.

But somehow they are willing to cut slack for idiots in office. ; Ducking

-klaus
Old September 4th 05, 03:21 AM
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

As long as you don't mind the indignity of humping the turnstile every
time you want to get on to the lift.

Do you guys wear lead clothes or something?

um...no. I guess it's just that the turnstile won't open until the
pass is in close proximity to the reader. And I'm impatient.

Seriously - you've probably never skied laps on a man made molehill in
the midwest. A round trip - take the lift up, ski down - takes under
three minutes. Ten seconds waiting for the the turnstile to open is
an *eternity*. The only way to get in any sort of vert is to start
timing your turns about 2/3 of the way down to get in synch with the
lift so that you can ski right up to the loading area at the precise
time that the chair arrives. Anything else is just wasteful.

Yes, it makes no sense to ski like this on a real mountain, but habits
die hard. Especially when one has flown across the continent and
knows that it's only physically possibly to ski X runs between 9am and
4pm each day before flying back to the flatlands. Each second is
precious.

AND knowing that winters in North America are cruelly short, passing
by in the blink of an eye, seconds waiting for the turnstile to open
will haunt one all summer, lamenting what could have been: If only I
had humped a bit more efficiently, I could have gotten in two more
runs last February.

Is it winter yet?

--
// Walt
//

Old September 4th 05, 03:35 AM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
If you go during the week and get there early enough to be one of the first
up, correct. There are NO lines at first, so there's no particular reason to
stop.

Ok, so for the first run, you loose maybe 10 seconds.

I can't rest unless I'm sitting down. Standing with bent knees is

rapidly
exhausting.

Hmmm.. bummer. try spending those ten seconds you save to find some
better equipment.

You only get one good set of body parts. Sometimes you can buy a few
replacements that don't work as well as the originals but they're damn
expensive...

The smarter ones recognize me after a few runs -- there aren't that many
grown-up (don't even think of using any other word) women skiing fast and
alone on old skis. Then they just wave and say "Come on out."

You have smart lifties?

For very small values of 'smart', yes.

And you still just queue up in line. Do a google search on queuing theory.

I have a resident expert. While theory is generally good, sometimes
observation is sufficient.

Then, observe what happens once the chairs fill up. If the observation
doesn't fit the theory, you could have quite a windfall by publishing
it. You could rock the mathematics world. I won't hold my breath.

Good plan. Once the chairs fill up and the lines move slowly, it doesn't much
matter anyway. By that time it's starting to get slushy and I'm starting to
get tired.

The liftie can see the color of the passes or even remember that she's already
passed some people. At some point I think they just stop caring. The liftie
part is easy and takes no time.

You must have honest people in CA. Here in gang infested Utah, most
resorts check each and every time, most actually scanning a bar code on
the ticket. Takes several seconds, but again, when you have a 15 minute
line, doesn't really mater.

They have barcode readers, but they don't use them on every ticket. I can't
imagine that the louts on boards are any more honest than anyone else, but
it's easy to check the color of the pass and the date is printed on one side
(why not two and save a lot of flipping?). I would guess that most of the
patrons are day-trippers and unlikely to have collected a full set of colors,
and the date would easily reaveal a fraud.

What's annoying is having to stop, trudge along in a line to get through the
rotating knives, turn a sharp corner without bashing the people around you
with your skis or poles, trudge along (frequently a bit uphill for some
ungodly reason) to the next sharp turn (repeating avoidance manoeuvres) then
insert yourself into a group of 3 boarders (maybe 6 lines, but who's
counting?) who are afraid to let you in even though they collectively outweigh
you by 200 pounds or allow you to join and then hang back at the last minute,
allowing you to ride in solitary splendor to the top.

Well, the way they arranged their queue has nothing to do with how they
scan tickets. Just sounds inept to me. They even use infrared sensors on
the cats here to assure that the queue is level.

That's why I said their system was as screwed up as everything else there.

What mostly annoys me is things that get in my way because they're designed
stupidly. If I lived in NO I'd be really ****ed that the damn levees broke
because the people we pay to take care of things like that were asleep at the
switch.

Yup, yet we'll vote them back in for a second term.

Who knew? I think we've had this discussion before... I would hope that the
long-term civil service people, the ones who would be in charge of doing
useful things, would have something more than a nice smile and a firm
handshake to recommend them. Who's really responsible for the levees? The
Corps of Engineers? The Mayor of NO? The NO Minister of Public Works? Sally
the Secretary?

Where I live it ****es me off that freeway on-ramps with metering signals
default to red; even when there's nobody in line you have to stop at the
signal and wait for it to turn green. Over days, weeks, months and years that
wastes a tremendous amount of time, gas, brake lining, etc. If it defaulted
to green and then turned red for n seconds after the sensor informed it that a
car had passed by everybody would be a lot better off. There is NO downside.

That's how they work here. Since I do not drive during rush hour, the
light is always green and I don't even have to slow down.

During non-rush hour they turn them off. During rush hour (and they don't
know about weekends for some reason)(rush hour can be 8 or 9 hours straight,
it seems like) they default to red even when there's no traffic to meter.

People don't get grouchy because they get older, they get grouchy because
they've seen so much **** like that that they're no longer willing to cut any
slack at all for idiots because they've already used up their supply.

But somehow they are willing to cut slack for idiots in office. ; Ducking

Less and less. I know somebody doesn't have to be a good speaker in order to
be effective (although it certainly helps), but SURELY there should be
somebody on his staff that can keep him from saying the awful things he does.
Where is CJ when we need her?

I take comfort in my continuing belief that the other guy would have been
worse, but we'll never know.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 4th 05, 04:09 AM
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

As long as you don't mind the indignity of humping the turnstile every
time you want to get on to the lift.

Do you guys wear lead clothes or something?

um...no. I guess it's just that the turnstile won't open until the
pass is in close proximity to the reader. And I'm impatient.

Ditto. He only makes fun of us because he doesn't understand. One thing I
forgot -- the turnstile openings are smaller than you might expect, and if you
move too quickly you can jab yourself with one of the rotating knives.

Seriously - you've probably never skied laps on a man made molehill in
the midwest. A round trip - take the lift up, ski down - takes under
three minutes.

6 minutes up and 3 or 4 minutes down if I didn't have to stop and catch my
breath. Rest happens on the chair.

Ten seconds waiting for the the turnstile to open is
an *eternity*. The only way to get in any sort of vert is to start
timing your turns about 2/3 of the way down to get in synch with the
lift so that you can ski right up to the loading area at the precise
time that the chair arrives. Anything else is just wasteful.

Now that's bordering on anal. I don't think I'd be able to time it that
carefully even if I wanted to. Besides, it's a detachable quad and they halt
the line often enough that it would foul up serious timing anyway.

Yes, it makes no sense to ski like this on a real mountain, but habits
die hard. Especially when one has flown across the continent and
knows that it's only physically possibly to ski X runs between 9am and
4pm each day before flying back to the flatlands. Each second is
precious.

Even without the flight each second is precious. And then there's the thought
that if I break something this might be the last second. Depressing.

Hmph. Rehnquist just died. Let the wild rumpus start.

AND knowing that winters in North America are cruelly short, passing
by in the blink of an eye, seconds waiting for the turnstile to open
will haunt one all summer, lamenting what could have been: If only I
had humped a bit more efficiently, I could have gotten in two more
runs last February.

Is it winter yet?

Not until January, and it ends in March.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 4th 05, 06:59 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:43:32 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote:

You can tell W is not running for re-election again. Today he asked people
to buy less gas.

I want some sort of compensation from everyone who voted for him the
second time. The guy is, in my view, a complete disaster. I really do
think this gas crunch is going to directly hurt ski resorts more than
anyone might be thinking.

We get a president whose a major oil player. We invade an oil-rich
country and lose the lives of nearly 2,000 of our kids and no telling
how many locals. The end result of that gas prices of $3.50 a gallon?

Either he's a total moron or only a partial one given the great
profits the oil companies are experiencing. What happened to Iraq's
oil paying for the war and helping us break free from being hostage to
Saudi oil?
Old September 4th 05, 07:09 PM
Rich Heimlich

On 2 Sep 2005 13:05:11 -0700, wrote:

No. My guess is that people swapping pants or other clothing to share
a lift ticket, while it may happen occasionally, is actually very rare,
but there just are not very many skiers that are this determined to
cheat. I think the requirement to permanently attach the lift ticket
probably is reasonably effective at reducing fraud. Most skiers
obviously do not consider it overly burdensome.

Let me ask you a question. Thinking clearly from the perspective of a
consumer, what exactly is fraudulent about my buying an all-day lift
ticket, for which the resort is then planning on having me there for
the full day, and if I choose to go back to the hotel, or whatever,
giving that lift ticket to another skier? This is fraud? I don't agree
even a little.

The resort got paid for someone to skill all day long and, in the end,
that's exactly what happened. Someone skied all day long. So what if
it actually was two different people. They can't both use the one
ticket at the same time so no one is losing out here.

Now if you want to support resorts gouging customers by charging them
for services under the hope that said services will go unused, then we
can debate that tactic too. However, I think that's more what's going
on here than putting the onus of fraud on the consumer.

How many people do you think show up at a ski resort at say, 4pm
planning to get the lift ticket of others going home early?

Also, as I noted elsewhere, I've also seen this work out for the
business. The second person comes in and buys a pair of sunglasses, or
a pair of gloves (maybe the first person bought gloves too) and he
buys a meal and drinks (as possibly the first person did too).

Well, then, you are changing your justification in midstream. As I
recall, your original stated reason was so you could continue skiing
without any inconvenience after removing layers. There were several

That was the initial reason but the more I thought about it, the more
I came to think that the entire concept is poor and fails on several
fronts--one being that it inconveniences people in such a basic,
simple way for little benefit.

suggestions that would have addressed this issue while remaining in
compliance with the terms and conditions of the ski areas. Apparently,
this was not your real motivation and it was just a smokescreen.

No, no smokescreen involved. It was my real motivation and still
remains my real motivation. I've never shared a lift ticket and really
don't intend to start. I'm now just questioning that portion of it as
the discussion evolves.
Old September 4th 05, 07:13 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:09:28 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

Buying a one-size-fits-all vest and swapping it among the users doesn't seem
to be that big a bother.

That wasn't the point. I don't want to wear the vest now. So now I
have to stop what I'm doing, leave the mountain, take off my skis, go
stand in a line, wait that out, get to the front, have them officially
remove my ticket (some mountains won't even allow that much) and then
print out another duplicate and provide it. Wow. That sounds real
convenient for me when all I wanted to do was ski over to the lockers,
pop off my skis for a moment and drop my coat/vest/layer in the locker
and head back up.

Clearly, but perhaps they should. They probably relate to the people who are
so desperately trying to stop people from sharing music.

Similar to what I was thinking.
Old September 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:36:13 -0400, "JQ" wrote:

As a consumer I do agree with Rich that the lift ticket should be
transferable to other family members but as a business owner I do see the
resorts point of view too. It would be like me teaching my karate class and

I see their viewpoint fairly clearly too. However, my contention is
that it's in everyone's best interest to consider just making all
tickets transferable. I'd be curious to see what effect that would
have, say, for a week. I suspect very little would change and that a)
people like me would welcome the freedom to be able to quickly change
layers (I'm going to get my way on this regardless now grin) and b)
that they'd find they make some money from those who the tickets were
transferred from--money they would NOT have made from the initial
purchaser of the ticket. As I said elsewhere, money in concessions,
equipment, services, etc. If I left early there's no more money coming
to you from my ticket under the current setup.

accommodate for more people. The resort does know and has planned that most
people do not ski all day long on a day pass and those day pass people take
certain amount of breaks during the day.

Thus, I argue that this is planned gouging and something consumers
shouldn't stand for especially when it's coupled with tactics that
result in goofy inconveniences.

Oh, I could also argue that anyone going to a karate class the way you
described certainly wouldn't get very much out of it.
Old September 4th 05, 08:35 PM
The Real Bev

Rich Heimlich wrote:

Now if you want to support resorts gouging customers by charging them
for services under the hope that said services will go unused, then we
can debate that tactic too. However, I think that's more what's going
on here than putting the onus of fraud on the consumer.

It surely does seem that simple fairness would indicate ticket-sharing. Same
thing goes for automobile liability insurance -- you can only drive one car at
a time, why should you have to insure six cars for liability? The answer, of
course, is 'Because we can'. OTOH, how much money does a ski resort actually
make? Which ticketing method would be more profitable? If non-transferable
ticketing keeps them out of the red, is it gouging?

How many people do you think show up at a ski resort at say, 4pm
planning to get the lift ticket of others going home early?

That depends on the area and the price. I generally leave at 1:00 because I
get a $10 credit on my next trip (within a year) and I'm tired then anyway.
While I'm leaving, new people are arriving. If I could sell my ticket to a
newcomer for half what I paid for it, both of us would be ahead of the game
and the resort would be out roughly $35. I'm sure this could become a common
occurrence since many people take off from work at lunch time for an afternoon
of skiing.

Mountain High sells six-packs of all-day tickets at a significant discount,
cheaper than a half-day pass. These tickets are completely transferable - Six
people can use up all the tickets on the same day if that's what's wanted.
The 4th time I went up I knew I wasn't going to come back because it was
getting too warm to be enjoyable so I sought out two nice-looking kids in the
parking lot and we all went to the ticket office to buy three tickets. I sold
them at my cost, but some might have asked more.

Mountain High (unless they've since discontinued the program) has determined
that this is profitable. OTOH, it's a crappy place to ski. OTOOH, it's a
shorter and easier drive than the better places. If we ever repair the road
directly through the mountains (When does hell freeze over this time?) it will
be perhaps a half-hour drive rather than 1.5 hours to the better places.
That's significant, especially with $3 gas.

Also, as I noted elsewhere, I've also seen this work out for the
business. The second person comes in and buys a pair of sunglasses, or
a pair of gloves (maybe the first person bought gloves too) and he
buys a meal and drinks (as possibly the first person did too).

This is possible, but the people who are likely to benefit from transferable
tickets are unlikely to waste their savings on overpriced food or equipment.
I think a minority of ticket-transferrers would be parents swapping off child
care duties, but I could be wrong.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 4th 05, 10:26 PM
pigo

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message

I suspect very little would change and that a)
people like me would welcome the freedom to be able to quickly
change
layers

Anyone can make something difficult if they're set on proving some
sort of agenda. From experience I know that it is not difficult to
attach a lift ticket to your pants and change layers underneath if
conditions require.