snowboarding video doc input

Old September 18th 03, 09:11 AM
Juan Parra

Default snowboarding video doc input

Thanks everyone.
Most of you have pretty good points.
Including Arvin :-)

No doubt, lack of freeriding footage was my
biggest problem.

Juani

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...
What's good:

- I thought the Option Marketing guy explaining the differences
between a freeride and a freestyle snowboard was informative and
intelligent (although a wannabe snowboarder wouldn't understand most
of what he said.

- I like the snowboarder talking about freeriding and freestyling as
well... (guy with the thirty-two stick on his board). Err... going
back Kevin Sansalone

You have a lot of nice footage of people doing rails and park jumps,
mixed in with some silly antics stuff (people hanging/dropping off of
chairlifts, people hanging on rails, etc).

Bad:

First you repeat some action shots twice in the video... like the guy
coming down the powdery bumps

The narrator sounds like he's trying a little too hard to sound cool,
maybe that and the script he's reading from. Kind of reminds me of dj
at a hiphop radio station trying to plug some local dance party.

The narration is inaccurate and has a rather freestyle-centric view on
everything. Freeriding to me means no (at least very few jumps...) I
mean the pro rider you interview says "freeriding to me is... not
filming, not jumping, it's just riding, riding power, carving." I mean
that's pretty much the exact opposite of what the narration says and
what the video is showing in the background. Let's not mention that
you completely omitted alpine/racing snowboarding. True it's a tiny
percentage of the snowboarding population, but if you want to be a
informative video, you should at least mention it and show a little
footage.

(Aside in terminology)
Personally I don't consider all-mountain and freeriding to be the same
(unlike the narration). First there is freeriding vs freestyle, the
first is mainly carving/turns and the second is mainly tricks
(jumps/rails). Then ontop of that is "all-mountain" which basically
means (to me) that in addition to groomed trails, you ride the entire
mountain... trees, bowls, backcountry, etc... So you can have
all-mountain freestyle (which is what the narration believes
all-mountain/free-riding) abd all-mountain free-riding. Which is
different from regular freestyle (in the park/pipe) and regular
freeriding (down groomed trails).

Back to the footage... it rarely syncs up with what is being
discussed. It's just jumps, rails, snowboard antics... repeat.

Like during the section free-riding... you have absolutely no real
free-riding or all mountain footage. Having a few second of people
just sliding straight down a blue/green slope without actually carving
doesn't count. Setting up a rail in the middle of the woods doesn't
count either. Get some footage of people carving through powder,
cutting through the tree, or laying out a line on groomer. Even if you
can get in some heli-boarding footage like the big production
videos... you can still include some footage of people riding through
the trees or actually carving... I'm pretty sure I didn't see a single
linked carved turn in the video (just some guy sliding on a cat
track).

Finally if you want this to be for aspiring snowboarders... maybe you
could provide information on where to go to learn more (websites,
snowboard camps, etc).

Good interviews.
Not so good narration
Not so good content - incorrect or missing information, not
particularly well organized. Like what information are you trying to
pass on to wannabe snowboarders.
Not so good editing in terms of matching the background with the
topics being discussed (it's fine if you're just blasting some music
like a regular video, but I think you need to work making the footage
complement and emphasize what the narrator and interviewers are
saying).

"Juan Parra" wrote in message

.ca...
try this link

http://zedstatic.cbc.ca/users/j/juan...rdtech_web.mov

if you have the latest quicktime installed,
you should be able to play it.
cheers

juani

"Switters" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:54:45 GMT, "Juan Parra"

allegedly
wrote:

http://zed.cbc.ca/displayContent.do?item_id=46839

what's good, what's bad?