Phil Mahre weighs in on the effort.

Old February 27th 06, 02:16 PM

Default Phil Mahre weighs in on the effort.

Phlubarb wrote:

His opinion on the subject:

"It's once every four years; it is a special event," Mahre said. "You have to make the most of
that opportunity. I just believe that our kids just let it slip away. There wasn't near the focus

^^^^^^^^
Emphasis added to help Rhubarb

or near the professionalism that had to be there in order for us to be competitive. Everybody
else stepped up and took care of business. We just kind of went through the motions."

I guess, however, he's not enough of an expert for Malmos et al.

Well, son, you took the quote out of context. Would you care to provide
some? Like, what did Phil Mahre have to say about Giorgio Rocca? Or
Kalle Palander? And what "kids" specifically was he talking about?

BTW, here's a little perspective for you. In 2002, the US alpine team
won a total of two Olympic medals, both silvers. This year, the team
won two golds. It's not what they wanted to do, so...who shall we
blame? Bode, for not winning five gold medals, as some idjits expected?
Rahlves, for being even further out? Koznick or Lalive, for getting
injured before the games, or Kildow, for getting injured during them?
Schlopy, who missed again? You're big on the blame game and you've got
plenty of fingers to go around, so why do you want to confine yourself
to one guy who never boasted that he'd win anything?

Old February 27th 06, 03:04 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
BTW, here's a little perspective for you. In 2002, the US alpine team won
a total of two Olympic medals, both silvers. This year, the team won two
golds. It's not what they wanted to do, so...who shall we blame? Bode,
for not winning five gold medals, as some idjits expected?

A blast from the past:
"Super G: Podium is Bode, Daron, Svindal, in no particular order but with
the win going to Bode or Daron.
GS: Podium is Raich, Bode, and either Daron or Blardone, in no
particular order."

Old February 27th 06, 04:47 PM

I guess, however, he's not enough of an expert for Malmos et al.

Really sad to see the likes of Mahre and Street coming down on the US
Ski racers. Really cool to see Mancuso win gold after Street
complained what she wears on her head.

If the likes of Rocca and Palander can blow the SL and the likes of
Raich can blow the combined - then our kids can blow some races too and
others can step up to win medals - like they did. It's ski racing,
it's the Olympics - anything can happen and anything did. That is waht
makes it so awesome! Too bad people can't just accept that, enjoy it,
and continue to root for the athletes as they finish up the WC season.

Heck, one of the best J5 girls in RMD YSL had a bad day yesterday at
Copper. She was so sad and I felt so bad for her. She's so young and
already learning the bitter fact that ski racing is not a given - no
matter who you are. Ski racing is so much about confidence. If you
let a bad run, or a bad day, or a bad week, or even a bad year get too
far into your head - it's over. You'll never do well and worse, you'll
never have fun with it ever again. There is so much ebb and flow in
this sport with past champions stepping up after long flat results and
"nobody's" just nailing a run and winning. I love this sport so much
and all the different characters in it. From the ultra-conservatives
like Raich to the hip-hop fun loving nuts like Schoenfelder.

It's not the medals or lack thereof that hes been the big led down in
these Olympics, it's the attitude of the "fans", the experts, and the
media that has been the biggest let down.

The worst thing about all this is that it's all gonna come back to
haunt the US Ski Racing Team 4 years from now. "Best in the World!"
Well, sometimes. Other times not. Learn to love and accept Ski Racing
for what it is or find a new sport.
--
Marty

Old February 27th 06, 06:11 PM

Miller had a phenomenal 6 weeks in 2004/2005 but by the time Feb/Mar rolled around,
he was finished/gone, physically cooked.

Few race as much as he does - he's the Brett Favre of ski racing when
it comes to starts. Miller has had a phenomenal career spanning far
more than just his 04-05 WC season. Even today, he is 3rd overall in
the WC. Many comment on his unorthadox style in everything he does -
many have been proven wrong and will continue to be if he continues to
race. He's different, no doubt. His difference has done much for the
sport, from his equipment choice to his skiing style to the number of
people that pay attention to the sport. He never said he'd win
anything. He did say that he could ski his best on any day and still
not podium.

I think Bode got exactly what he expected from these Winter Olympic
Games - proof that what he thought about the media and his fans was
right on. He owns us all - whether we like him or not. I like him -
it's okay to not agree with me on that point. But the rest of the
points are backed up with fact. The biggest of which is that he is one
of the best ever, regardless of what he says or does or doesn't do to
**** people off.
--
Marty

Old February 27th 06, 07:49 PM

Phlubarb wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

snIp

You are dumber than a rock. How thick can you get, moron? It's not about the results, it's the
lack of effort, attitude, the posturing, the hypocrisy (accepting and participating in all the
hype and accepting ALL that money contrary to what he has said). You have conveniently
ignored the fact that none of this criticism has been leveled at anyone else. How do you
explain that? Daron Rahlves is cause for celebration, he had a couple of bad days. There is
NO excuse for Miller's behavior, NONE.

By the way, that comment by Mahre was NOT taken out of context, that's a lie. Maybe we
ought to call you Buddhette. Mahre said about the team that the athletes were not prepared
and for the record he has frequently been an outspoken critic of Miller's attitude. Rahlves and
Mahre are champions, miller is a goof

You're arguing a religious argument with a religions nut. Give it up.

Old February 28th 06, 12:33 AM

Phlubarb wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

snIp

You are dumber than a rock. How thick can you get, moron? It's not about the results,

Really, sockpuppet? Says who? You? Because there are a lot of others
in your lynch mob who think it's _all_ about the results.

it's the
lack of effort, attitude, the posturing, the hypocrisy (accepting and participating in all the
hype and accepting ALL that money contrary to what he has said).

I have asked you several times to back up these assertions with anything
that substantiates them. You have not done so _once_. You're a troll
and an idjit.

You have conveniently
ignored the fact that none of this criticism has been leveled at anyone else. How do you
explain that?

Simple: Bode Miller, as the highest profile US alpine skier in this
Olympics, was going to be the hero or the goat. It was a setup.

Daron Rahlves is cause for celebration, he had a couple of bad days.

What exactly are you celebrating about Daron Rahlves? The 10th place
finish? The big, big rock star bus?

There is
NO excuse for Miller's behavior, NONE.

By the way, that comment by Mahre was NOT taken out of context, that's a lie.

Sure it was. You didn't say where it came from, you didn't say what it
was in response to or who it was made to. That's out of context. Go
buy a dictionary.

Old February 28th 06, 12:50 AM

Marty wrote:

I guess, however, he's not enough of an expert for Malmos et al.

Really sad to see the likes of Mahre and Street coming down on the US
Ski racers. Really cool to see Mancuso win gold after Street
complained what she wears on her head.

Street's remarks, in particular, really made me cringe. Of all the
people who might choose to throw stones, Street is living in a most
particularly fragile glass house.

In her (ghostwritten) autobiography, Street made no bones about the fact
that she disliked and resented Mancuso during the time when the two were
teammates. Street always loved the limelight and was often less than
gracious when others on the team came in for a share of it; her silent
treatment of Kirsten Clark after Clark won her first World Cup was
publically commented on. Mancuso was coming up at the time when Street
was trying to come back, and the mix was a bad one: hungry youngster vs.
old-timer feeling very threatened, not only by the young blood but by
her old injuries. Street was also never that shy about making a
personal statement in her race atti she never wore a tiara, but she
was a big fan of elaborately decorated helmets, including one made to
look like a World Cup globe. She wore that one at the Worlds in Sierra
Nevada, and after her victory, she made the nice humble gesture of
putting the helmet on the ground and resting her foot on top of the
globe. Furthermore, for most of her time on the team she had extremely
poor discipline with regard to offseason training -- it got her kicked
off the team at one point. She was quite the party girl, too, quite
proud of being known as "the female Tomba". Let's just put it that, by
her own admission, Street was a less than ideal teammate and quite the
glory hog, recurrently guilty of some of the very behaviors she is now
criticizing in others.

Old February 28th 06, 12:59 AM

That it's what YOU said, you ranting bitch:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...e=source&hl=en

Old February 28th 06, 01:01 AM

Phlubarb wrote:

He's won the
Hanan.... (I can't spell it) twice.

It's great to see that your ski racing knowledge is so consistent.