Still Skiing in VT

Old April 7th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

Default Still Skiing in VT

After a pretty horrible local winter we got to enjoy an extraordinary day on
snow at Prospect Mountain out side of Bennington, VT. Midwinter hardwax
conditions with nice sun and high around 30 F.
Quite possible that there will still be skiing there next weekend.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old April 8th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On a side note, Marquette Michigan has received 47" of snow this April
alone!! That already breaks the April monthly record, and there's
still over 3 weeks left in the month.

Old April 8th 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Even if metereologists don't seem to speak out about it, are more of you
getting the feeling winters are coming later, and going later?
The European XC centers want to quit season before April, and missing guests
because of it, with more than decent snow. Last week of the season in Tirol
was the best of the winter, and I was lucky to just be there.

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old April 8th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Even if metereologists don't seem to speak out about it, are more of you
getting the feeling winters are coming later, and going later?
The European XC centers want to quit season before April, and missing guests
because of it, with more than decent snow. Last week of the season in Tirol
was the best of the winter, and I was lucky to just be there.

As I've reported a few days ago, xc skiing in Rauland has been simply
great this Easter, and this morning we're getting some fresh powder, so
I've just cleaned off the klister from all our skis and sent Tone out on
Blue Extra.

Terje

--
-
Old April 8th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Urgar

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in
:

After a pretty horrible local winter we got to enjoy an extraordinary
day on snow at Prospect Mountain out side of Bennington, VT. Midwinter
hardwax conditions with nice sun and high around 30 F.
Quite possible that there will still be skiing there next weekend.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

My son & I skied yesterday at Bear Notch in NH and the conditions were
absolutely fabulous. Last weekend we travelled far north for an "end of
season" ski at the Balsams in Dixville Notch, but the conditions were
mostly ungroomed hardpack. If this weekend turns out to be the end, we got
to finish on a fantastic note. Bear Notch is the only place in the Whites
still open. They had a good crowd there yesterday.
It was strange passing two closed alpine resorts (Cranmore & Attitash)
whose slopes were loaded with snow, but both had already closed for the
season.

Old April 10th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

I skied the Wolverine trails in Ironwood, Michigan today, and they
were very nice, with just a couple of bare patches where the sun had
burned through. Great for classic or skating. Unfortunately I only
have touring skis with me, as I was assured that nobody would be
grooming; otherwise I would be doing 50km a day.
Hugh

Old April 10th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

They're getting HAMMRED with snow in Texas too.

http://keyetv.com/slideshows/local_s...5/view?slide=0

--
JT
****************************
Old April 10th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar

On Apr 8, 3:53 am, Terje Mathisen
wrote:
Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Even if metereologists don't seem to speak out about it, are more of you
getting the feeling winters are coming later, and going later?
The European XC centers want to quit season before April, and missing guests
because of it, with more than decent snow. Last week of the season in Tirol
was the best of the winter, and I was lucky to just be there.

As I've reported a few days ago, xc skiing in Rauland has been simply
great this Easter, and this morning we're getting some fresh powder, so
I've just cleaned off the klister from all our skis and sent Tone out on
Blue Extra.

Terje

--
-

Terje,

Can you explain how the Norwegian method of applying Blue Extra hard
wax works for warm wet snow? Our DNT Hardangervidda tour leader only
used Blue Extra even when the snow turned to course grained wet snow
at +6C and warmer. The rest of us were not getting much grip even
with universal klister on the warm day when we descended to the lower
elevations of Breidsetdalen (March 25).

Our tour leader never seemed to use a cork when applying the Blue
Extra. I could see that he waxed for a long kick zone and told me
that the secret was to just walk with the skis and not slide.

I have had other Norwegians tell me to apply the hard wax rough and
noticed that many Norwegian touring skiers do not seem to cork their
wax. Is not corking the secret to getting grip with hard wax on
transformed snow?

Edgar

Old April 11th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"Edgar" skrev i melding
ups.com...

Terje,

Can you explain how the Norwegian method of applying Blue Extra hard
wax works for warm wet snow? Our DNT Hardangervidda tour leader only
used Blue Extra even when the snow turned to course grained wet snow
at +6C and warmer. The rest of us were not getting much grip even
with universal klister on the warm day when we descended to the lower
elevations of Breidsetdalen (March 25).

I learned many years ago (from a Biathlon trainer) that you could use blue
wax on wet snow. You just had to put on layers until you got the grip you
wanted, up to 1/2 a box on each ski.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes