Can you get from South lake Tahoe to Homewood on 89?

Old February 2nd 06, 10:34 AM

Default Can you get from South lake Tahoe to Homewood on 89?

Around the west of the lake. Last year when I was there it had been
quite well cleared up to a bit before homewood, so you could not.
Would be handy to know before I get there.

Old February 2nd 06, 01:01 PM

Alittle update. I havce found this site
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi very useful If you put in 89
you get the report below. I do not recognise any of the points they
refer to, but as it says there are "NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS" in "[NORTH
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN]" I guess it is open? That
makes a big difference, as we could stay in south lake tahoe and the
beginners can ski in homewood while the more advanced do heavenly (but
not the off piste off the track between the states )

I would apperitiate if anyone could confirm this reading of the site,
or even better personal confirmation that it is open.

From http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

This highway information is the latest reported as of Thursday,
February 2, 2006 at 03:57 .

SR 89
[EASTERN SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM THE JCT OF US 395 (MONO CO) TO THE JCT OF SR 4
/MONITOR PASS/
(ALPINE CO) - WINTER CLOSURE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN
ALTERNATE ROUTE

[CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[NORTH CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[NORTHERN CALIFORNIA]
IS CLOSED FROM THE SOUTH PARK BDRY TO THE JCT OF SR 44 /LASSEN
LOOP/
(TEHAMA, SHASTA CO'S) - WINTER CLOSURE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE
AN
ALTERNATE ROUTE

Old February 2nd 06, 04:30 PM

Alittle update. I havce found this site
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi very useful If you put in 89
you get the report below. I do not recognise any of the points they
refer to, but as it says there are "NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS" in "[NORTH
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN]" I guess it is open? That
makes a big difference, as we could stay in south lake tahoe and the
beginners can ski in homewood while the more advanced do heavenly (but
not the off piste off the track between the states )

Safest to ask in Southshore before leaving. 89 is commonly closed around
Emerald Bay for avalanche hazard (to the plows - don't want to lose any
expensive plows - we citizens are secondary) and can change at the drop
of a flake.

From http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Old February 2nd 06, 07:52 PM

Heavenly has plenty of beginner stuff -- especially with the new gondola
going to the plateau area.

The big thing is homewood is so much cheaper, both for the pass and for
leasons. The small size is not really much of an issue for beginners.