Some songs for the troops.

Old April 26th 04, 03:51 AM
AstroPax

Default Some songs for the troops.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:51:14 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

Does anybody have the complete list? Please tell me there's something
by Jilly Blowell

well, if it makes you feel any better, he's on at least one
list..."Lousy Drivers":

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...-regional-wire

-Astro
Old April 26th 04, 02:13 PM
bdubya

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:57:46 +0200, "Inger Skramstad Jørstad"
wrote:

"bdubya" skrev i melding
.. .
I'm not sure it's any worse than "The Final Countdown", but when a
hair-metal band calls itself "Europe", the results are pretty much
guaranteed to suck. I guess that would apply to anything with
"Starship" in the name as well.

"Europe" was a Swedish band. The lead singer called himself "Joey Tempest"!
And I agree, it sucks.

Please tell me there's never been a metal band called "Scandinavia".
And that there never will be.

I am sorry that I have to disappoint you here, because there IS in fact a
band right here in Norway called "Scandinavia"! But, it is musically as far
from a metal band as you can possibly get. They play what we here call
"Scandinavian dance band music".

Is that related to the "Danseband" phenomenon, as exemplified by Gert
Jonnys, among others?
http://www.knuthaugen.no/danseband/

bw
Old April 26th 04, 03:18 PM
ski.no

"bdubya" skrev i melding
Please tell me there's never been a metal band called "Scandinavia".
And that there never will be.

I am sorry that I have to disappoint you here, because there IS in fact a
band right here in Norway called "Scandinavia"! But, it is musically as

far
from a metal band as you can possibly get. They play what we here call
"Scandinavian dance band music".

Is that related to the "Danseband" phenomenon, as exemplified by Gert
Jonnys, among others?
http://www.knuthaugen.no/danseband/

YES! Spot-on! This is the "danseband" phenomenon. These bands have a
distinctive image, look and sound, and you either love or loathe them. This
style of music is extremely popular in both Sweden and Norway, and also to a
certain extent in Finland and Denmark, too, particularly among the
middleaged in rural districts. We here have our own national championships
each year in this type of music, with titles and musical awards, all
televized. There are "danseband" "gallas" and festivals, and to me at least
this kind of music have ingredients from good old rock&roll ("swing"),
country music, traditional folk music, and ballroom. Popular instruments are
among others accordion and saxophone, and lots of keyboard. The lyrics are
simple and folk/country-like, with lots of love&relationships, romance, etc.
etc. It is really impossible to describe, you have to be there and see a
"concert" (always with dancing in front of the stage by everybody) for
yourself. Of course boozing is a big part of this, but definitely no drugs.
The "danseband" audience is most definitely not drug users, but loves a
decent mixture of beer, homebrew and moonshine, while "illegal substances"
are more or less taboo. This audience is a conservative crowd, with good old
country style values. No drugs allowed, but lots and lots of booze is
accepted. In other words, a typical rural phenomenon, while our urban areas
are more in tune with the musical taste elsewhere in Europe. The "danseband"
"concerts" are usually referred to as "dansegallaer" ("dansegallas"). The
audience dresses casual, but not too casual, with a "romantic" touch.

Old April 29th 04, 09:44 AM
Scandinavia

"bdubya" skrev i melding
Please tell me there's never been a metal band called "Scandinavia".
And that there never will be.

I am sorry that I have to disappoint you here, because there IS in fact a
band right here in Norway called "Scandinavia"! But, it is musically as

far
from a metal band as you can possibly get. They play what we here call
"Scandinavian dance band music".

Is that related to the "Danseband" phenomenon, as exemplified by Gert
Jonnys, among others?
http://www.knuthaugen.no/danseband/

"Dansebandet" "Scandinavia", some more info:
Their latest CD is called "Tænd ett ljus i fønstret" ("Light a Candle in the
Window"). It was released on January 15th, 2004. All the lyrics are in
Swedish, even though the band itself is Norwegian. That is simply because
Sweden is a bigger market than Norway, with twice as many people. Their next
CD, scheduled for release in January 2005, will also most likely be in
Swedish. They have released a total of 13 CDs so far. Two of these have sold
enough to qualify for gold records for the band. The current members of the
band are Eirik Johansen, Steinar Storm Kristiansen, Finn Jacobsen, Pål
Fuglseth Tautra, Ronny Jacobsen, and Bjørn O. Jensen. The line-up of the
band has been almost unchanged since the start back in August 1988.
They have been on the road for almost 16 years now. The band was started in
Oslo in August 1988. Their first single, called "Dagen er din" ("This is
your Day"), was released in Denmark and Norway in September 1988. They have
been "live in concert" on radio&TV more than 70 times here in Scandinavia.
They have played more than 1200 "concerts" in Scandinavia, and around 200 of
them have been in Denmark. They have a faithful and devoted audience in
Denmark in addition to their numerous fans in Sweden and Norway. They have
also toured in the USA.
"Scandinavia" won the Norwegian Music Award for "danseband music", or "best
danseband", in 2001.
All "danseband" are on the road, touring. None of them are mere studio
bands, only releasing CD, They all play "live" ("concerts" or "dansegallas")
ALL over Scandinavia, and the audience is ALWAYS dancing to their music,
never only listening. This music could not exist through only CDs, it is
totally dependent upon frequent and extensive touring and "live dancing". It
is party music, meant for partying and dancing, often outdoors, sometimes
indoors "ballroom style".

Old April 29th 04, 05:40 PM
Big Yager

"Richard Henry" wrote in message news:8WHic.35098$ab3.5281@fed1read02...
"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message

The song is all about psychological masturbation (sex with oneself is sex
with a person you really love). "I really love myself", la, la, la, la,

la,
etc. etc. Sickening.

I find the latest H2 ad pretty funny. A kid with a Hummer-styled soapbox
racer wins a race by cheating his friends (cutting cross-country insead of
following the race course) while The WHo sing "Happy Jack" in the
background.

Funny? The Jack commercial for the Hummer SUV is one of the dumbest
pieces of marketing drivel I have ever witnessed. The so called
"determination" of the young boy reflects much of the same stupid and
superficial values which would cause a grown man to buy one of those
gas guzzling, view obstructing menaces to society. And that little boy
- what is he? Nothing more than a simple cheat - learning his first
lessons at rude and offensive driving.
Old April 29th 04, 08:49 PM
Richard Henry

"Big Yager" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Whenver my kids see an H2 on the road, they open the windows and shout
"Fake! Fake!" Well-trained little brats, no?

Even worse, I saw a Cadillac Escalade (the UpScale SUV) the other day with
pimp wheels and spinner hubs.

Old May 3rd 04, 09:05 AM
Wally

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message
news | "Inger Skramstad Jørstad" skrev i melding
| news
| 10. Anything by Midnight Oil, or Texas.

U.S. Forces bring me down