Helmets - thermal protection

Old November 11th 03, 08:59 PM
Ian Turek

Default Helmets - thermal protection

Never been using a helmet but I think it's the time to put it on. What kind
of thermal protection is expected from the helmet? Do you recommend puting
something on under it. I am snowboarding in Pacific NW as well as Alps (way
colder here; espcially in Jan/Feb).

Thanks.

Old November 11th 03, 09:08 PM
Baretta

For really cold conditions - I wouldn't go out without the helmet, mask and
goggles. Extends your snow time while everyone else wooses out and leaves
the slopes.

Proper snowboard helmets are very well insulated - and you really appreciate
it when the windchill hits -30C. I don't usually put anything under it since
the liner also helps to wick away sweat and helps in air circulation -
otherwise you end up sweaty, chilled and get that goofy hat-head.

Best to try them on in the stores to see which ones best conform to your
noggin.

The only thing I'd add is a face mask - the neoprene kind with breath
vents - just to cut the wind/cold off your nose and lips. Try it on with
your helmet to make sure you can put/take it off easily. Don't forget the
goggles.

Cheers

Old November 11th 03, 09:09 PM
Mike T

Never been using a helmet but I think it's the time to put it on.
What kind
of thermal protection is expected from the helmet? Do you recommend

puting
something on under it. I am snowboarding in Pacific NW as well as

Alps (way
colder here; espcially in Jan/Feb).

I have a Boeri Myto Air and I've never been cold in it - I do wear a
balaclava under it on days when it's snowing or windy though. I'm in
the Pac NW, most of my riding is done at Mt Hood.

Mike T

Old November 11th 03, 09:32 PM
og

Boeri helmets come in 1/8th sizes so you can get a better fit. I have a
winter helmet and a spring helemt depending on air temp.