I need suggestion with a new board - maybe the gnu carbon high bean? ride decade? burton twin? Please help

Old April 14th 06, 06:08 PM

Default I need suggestion with a new board - maybe the gnu carbon high bean? ride decade? burton twin? Please help

Hey, I saw you had a message praising the gnu CHB board on the gnu
group.
I am thinking about buying that board. I found one for $160 and I was
thinking about getting one to imrpove my freestyle skills.
I am in the intermidiate level, can go in all runs, off-piste, medium
jumps in the park, and on the pipe can get a half board off the lip.
I could afford more, buying a board that is $250-300, but that doesn't
mean would be a better board.
My friend told me just to go with the Gnu CHB and put the rest of the
money into a new binding or something else.
I was thinking about getting the 157w since my boots are 12.5

What do you think of this board? I hear a lot of people saying it's
just for beginners??

I was also considering the gnu altered genetics, rome the machine,
burton twin, lib phoeny, ride decade, etc.. Would you compare to any of
those?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Peace,
Yan

Old April 14th 06, 11:53 PM

Hey, I saw you had a message praising the gnu CHB board on the gnu
group.
I am thinking about buying that board. I found one for $160 and I was
thinking about getting one to imrpove my freestyle skills.
I am in the intermidiate level, can go in all runs, off-piste, medium
jumps in the park, and on the pipe can get a half board off the lip.
I could afford more, buying a board that is $250-300, but that doesn't
mean would be a better board.
My friend told me just to go with the Gnu CHB and put the rest of the
money into a new binding or something else.
I was thinking about getting the 157w since my boots are 12.5

I was also considering the gnu altered genetics, rome the machine,
burton twin, lib phoeny, ride decade, etc.. Would you compare to any of
those?

When in doubt, put your money into your boots.... a boot that fits you
well and has no heellift is going to give you the best performance gain
(if you boots are floppy, it doesn't matter what bindings/board you
have).

Let's see, reading all the review of the Gnu CHB at boardreviews.com
and looking at it's $300 price tag I would not recommend it for you as
it looks like an entry level freestyle board to me and from what you
describe as the type of riding you do... I don't think it's really up
to the challenge. If you were *only* riding in the park, it would be
ok. But for steep slopes and off-piste riding, I think you will find it
lacking. For what you are doing in the park/pipe... you don't really
need a freestyle board. If you were doing more than 360-spins, 50/50 to
boardslides on rails, etc... only then would I suggest a freestyle
specific board. Otherwise... all-around freeride/freestyle boards are
the way to go as they will be much better on the steep groomed runs and
off-piste... but still be pretty decent in the park and pipe. Here is a
photo of me riding an ultra-stiff freeride-only board - the Salomon
Definition in the pipe (tinyurl.com/fzpdl), I would later realize that
I had been moving to stiffer and stiffer boards over the years and the
Definition bit uncomfortable in the park/pipe (I just assumed my
abilities had started decline and suck).

The Altered Genetics looks a bit better. The LibTech Phoenix and Ride
Decade look like decent boards as well (I'm not a fan of the Burton
Twin, too soft). With size 12.5 feet definitely go for a wide model, I
wouldn't get anything that is less than 26.0 cm at the waist (boot drag
seriously sucks). Also for me, I don't like anything less than a 8m
sidecut on a board. If you are bored... you can check out the following
boards by other small companies you might not have heard of (unless you
read this forum a lot).

Donek Phoenix 163W (
http://www.donek.com/01_products/phoenix.htm). A
popular "cult" brand. Don't be worried by the 163 length as the boards
are very light, medium-soft flex and have a short sidecut which makes
them ride very short (I rode a 155 and would probably have preferred
the 160 although I normally like 155-156 boards).

Prior MFR 162W or 165W (http://priorsnowboards.com/boards_mfr.php#). I
personally liked this brand better than the Donek because they are much
damper and give a smoother ride over a variety of conditions (from ice
to soft bumpy snow). However, I'm a lighter rider (150lbs) and I think
the bigger riders (you have size 12.5 feet) don't get knocked around as
much on a Donek board as I did. Be sure to check out the used/demo
sales for better deals on otherwise rather expensive boards.

Madd TT158W, FS/FR162 or FS/FR166 (http://maddmikes.com/Shop1.html). My
current favorite brand (re-discovered after 10 years since they were
out of business for a while). These boards are light, responsive, as
damp as a Prior, but have a ton of springness and pop to them. They
have amazing edgehold without being super stiff (they are medium-stiff
to extra-stiff depending on the construction options you choose). I
would warn you as they are still kind of restarting up... so the
quality control is a little flaky (in comparison Donek and Prior are
top-notch) and customer service is inconsistent (Donek is the best,
Prior is good, although I had a great experience talking with them this
last time around).

Good luck