Summer skiing not in South America?

Old May 9th 04, 09:14 PM
Lisa Horton

Default Summer skiing not in South America?

I'm so bummed that ski season's down to the last weekend here on the
left coast.

I know that there is skiing during the northern hemisphere's summer, in
several places at least. Chile and Argentina seem to be the most
popular? I have some redeemable "points", similar to airline miles.
Actually, a whole lot of them, enough to pay for a trip to just about
anywhere. But for a variety of reasons, anywhere in South America would
be at the bottom of my list. At the top would be an english (or
variant) speaking country where they don't hate Americans. Or even
somewhere in Europe

It's very much a long shot, but it's fun to dream, yes?

Lisa
Old May 9th 04, 09:35 PM
hhh

Lisa Horton wrote:
At the top would be an english (or
variant) speaking country where they don't hate Americans. Or even
somewhere in Europe

It's very much a long shot, but it's fun to dream, yes?

Lisa

New Zealand (they're not THAT keen on Americans but they wont shoot you).

Old May 9th 04, 10:29 PM
Lisa Horton

Bob Lee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

I'm so bummed that ski season's down to the last weekend here on the
left coast.

I know that there is skiing during the northern hemisphere's summer, in
several places at least. Chile and Argentina seem to be the most
popular? I have some redeemable "points", similar to airline miles.
Actually, a whole lot of them, enough to pay for a trip to just about
anywhere. But for a variety of reasons, anywhere in South America would
be at the bottom of my list. At the top would be an english (or
variant) speaking country where they don't hate Americans. Or even
somewhere in Europe

It's very much a long shot, but it's fun to dream, yes?

I'm pretty sure they speak english (or some reasonable variant) at
Whistler, Arapaho Basin, and New Zealand. I've heard 'Merkins can
expect to get a hard time at A-Basin though.

Oh, Whistler and A-Basin are open through the summer? I should specify,
I'm only interested in places where I don't have to hike up the hill

Lisa
Old May 9th 04, 11:33 PM
snoig

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message

Oh, Whistler and A-Basin are open through the summer? I should specify,
I'm only interested in places where I don't have to hike up the hill

Lisa

A-Basin likes to try to stay open until July 4th. They have made it well
into August in the past but usually they are lucky to make the 4th. This
year, they will be closing in June. They just closed Pali and the East Wall
on Thursday. East Wall should open up again if they get a freeze which
should happen Wednesday night.

Right now the skiing is still pretty good at the Basin but it's melting down
pretty fast. I don't think they will make it much past Memorial Day. If
you make a trip here for the skiing, plan on some other activities to like
rafting, biking or golf. Also, they shorten their hours of operation when
it's really late in the season so check before you go.

There are also places like Independance Pass or Trail Ridge Road where you
can car ski and they usually don't clear the roads until around Memorial
Day.

snoig

Old May 10th 04, 03:49 AM
lal_truckee

Lisa Horton wrote:
I'm so bummed that ski season's down to the last weekend here on the
left coast.

I know that there is skiing during the northern hemisphere's summer, in
several places at least. Chile and Argentina seem to be the most
popular? I have some redeemable "points", similar to airline miles.
Actually, a whole lot of them, enough to pay for a trip to just about
anywhere. But for a variety of reasons, anywhere in South America would
be at the bottom of my list. At the top would be an english (or
variant) speaking country where they don't hate Americans. Or even
somewhere in Europe

It's very much a long shot, but it's fun to dream, yes?

Mt Hood, Oregon - all summer long on the Palmer snowfield (actually they
do close for two weeks (in September I think) for lift maintenance.)
Lot's of ski teams do summer training there. Open to the public. And
it's actually just a long day's drive for you, if you recall your
youngster road trip days. Not as cool as Las Lenas, but not as pricey,
either.
Old May 10th 04, 03:56 AM
lal_truckee

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

[...]

Crap. I forgot to stress the easiest, quickest, and cheapest summer
skiing - get yourself up to Backcountry in Truckee (or some other well
stocked genuine store) and have them set you up for randonee skiing -
there will be snow in the Sierra until late August at least, and there
are some small glaciers out there, too. Short walks off the road in many
cases. Start out on Donner Summit right off the freeway; next try Tioga
pass. Later some of the high country behind Mammoth. Free summer skiing
right in your neighborhood.
Old May 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:
[...]

Yes, that would be drivable. It would be much more convenient of course
not to have to fly!

Lisa
Old May 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

[...]

I looked up Rangoon. It means "more work that I want to think about",
but thank you for the suggestion

Lisa
Old May 10th 04, 08:09 PM
The Real Bev

Lisa Horton wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
Mt Hood, Oregon - all summer long on the Palmer snowfield (actually they
do close for two weeks (in September I think) for lift maintenance.)
Lot's of ski teams do summer training there. Open to the public. And
it's actually just a long day's drive for you, if you recall your
youngster road trip days. Not as cool as Las Lenas, but not as pricey,
either.

Yes, that would be drivable. It would be much more convenient of course
not to have to fly!

It's possible to drive from California to South America, but there's a
short boat trip involved. My son decided that it was too much trouble
to bring his car back, so he left in in Bogota and flew back.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 10th 04, 08:58 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

[...]

I've been meaning to go to Rangoon someday. I'll just be Kipling along
when I do, however, and won't be taking the Rando gear.

The evil spell checker changed it from Randonee when I wasn't looking...

Lisa

Summer skiing not in South America? Marco Cattaneo European Ski Resorts 3 May 12th 04 07:32 AM
S. America this summer - which slopes Sam Huffman Alpine Skiing 3 March 30th 04 09:32 PM
summer skiing Will L Alpine Skiing 10 March 18th 04 07:27 AM
June July xc skiing in South America? Richard Ivans Nordic Skiing 1 February 9th 04 11:39 PM