2003 in review

Old December 30th 03, 01:24 AM
32 degrees

Default 2003 in review

Greetings, rec.skiing. nordic

Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information
you have compiled regarding your year. You don't have
to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info
you'd like.

Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?
2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?
3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?
4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
5. What were your best and worst race performances?
6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?
7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?
8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
9. What are your goals for 2004?
10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

Jeff Kalember (stole this from rec.running)

Here are mine...
1. I don't do miles I do HOURS - and I totalled 180. (180 hours =
120 running 60 hours nordic skiing) In my prime I was usually right around
380 hours/year but three kids, a wife and a job have taken some time !!
2. Highest/lowest - High mileage week 8.5 hours back in August.
3. Longest run 26.2 miles - Longest ski 2:40 minutes back in February.
4. Three races this year - 26.2 miles in 3:21 running, 5km running in 18:06
and one mile in 5:23
(first year in 15 years I did NOT do a ski race)
5. Best and worst performance - see above. It was my best also my worst -
my PR for the marathon is 2:51 so I was well off that, ditto for the 5km
(best 15:59)
Worst performance was not doing a ski race - it really bummed me out.
6. Favorite run was with my CC running team ( I coach high school) along
the
pictured rocks national lakeshore (www.nps.gov/piro) ... 15 miles of awesome
shoreline with 180 foot sandstone cliffs.
7. Craziest weather? Ran 10 miles in a howling snowstorm through 8 inches
of slush and 40 mph winds.
8/9. Goals? Run Bayshore Marathon - met it. Same for next year. Would
like to do a couple ski marathons too.
10. Quote? by my high school CC team "Cross country - finally a good use
for golf courses."

Happy skiing all
JK

Old December 30th 03, 10:02 AM
FrontRunner

"32 degrees" wrote in message
Greetings, rec.skiing. nordic

Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information
you have compiled regarding your year. You don't have
to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info
you'd like.

Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike

Ski 776 mi, Rollerski 2,765 mi, bike 678 mi Total hrs 430

this year?
2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

15 hrs , 2,5 hrs

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

52 mile rollerski 40 mile ski

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

12 ski races 1 mtn bike

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

93rd in the birkie, way back there in the Iceman cometh mtn bike race

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Birkie as always

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

6 inches of fresh snow for the Iceman

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Beat Pete D - yes!

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Top 100 again in the Birkie

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or

competing
in?

Birkie

THe FrontRunner

Old December 30th 03, 01:52 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

"32 degrees" wrote in message ...
Greetings, rec.skiing. nordic

Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information
you have compiled regarding your year.

This promises to be intersting, but the ski year for most people
crosses the calendar year, so it might be best to wait to do this (for
people in the northern hemisphere at least) till April or May, and
look back at the preceding 12 months then.

JT
Old December 30th 03, 02:24 PM
Serge

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/roller ski/mtn bike
this year?

Bike - about 100 miles weekly.
Speed skates(summer) or rollerskiis (winter) - about 45 miles a week

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

200mi - bike and 30mi - skates.

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

120 mile(10000' elevation gain)- Mt.Hamilton Challenge bike tour.
30K(1500' elevation gain) Great Ski Race - 1:55

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

1 bike race
1 ski race
7 inline speed skate races

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

1st Master B in North Cal. outdoor skating championship in 6/50K races.
Last in Long Beach skating marathon in Pro Masters (cramps).

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Napa Vally Skating marathon - fell and still finish 2nd in my category.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

Roller ski in downpour for 2hr in November - came home with boots
full of water.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Kidding?

9. What are your goals for 2004?

3 bike races, 5 ski races, 8 inline speed skate races.

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

They would not let me close to anything I am watching and I wouldn't
watch anything I am competing in.
Old December 30th 03, 02:54 PM
Dell Todd

This is a good thread.

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?

Skied 91 hours incl. r-ski 252 miles for a total of 702 miles
Ran 238 hours for 1732 miles
= 329 hours plus some weight lifting & yoga / stretching which I
recently began to log

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

12.5 hrs to 3 hrs. Avg 6.3 hrs

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

Ran 26.2
Skied 55k Birkie

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

3 races run
10 races skied

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Birkie - broke 3 hour barrier
Chgo Marathon where I qualified for Boston, despite gastrointestinal /
gatorade issues

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Ref: Chgo story. Best training story was a 14 miler this fall. Though
I didnt bring any water, it rained extremely hard, such that I
actually inhaled so much water I needed to relieve myself several
times. That was weird. Another one was when the family was sailing. I
inflated the zodiac, rowed in & stowed it ashore. Ran about 10 miles
with 6 x 1k in the middle. Intense workout, on a real backwoods road
with zero company, in the dark, with my headlamp. Almost scary. Then I
rowed back, tied up, & slipped into the black black water to cool off.
That was unique. Fun.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

#6, in the rain.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Break 3 hrs for ski marathon - check
Qualify for Boston - check
Break 3 hours for road marathon - so close through 21 miles, but they
don't hand out awards for 21 miles in a marathon - incomplete

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Get more snow
Get close to top 250 @ birkie
Improve CL race results
Break 3 @ Chgo
Beat Old Dog. There I said it.

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

Chgo marathon is quite a spectacle. The crowds "woo-wooing" in the
skyscraper canyons makes for an inspiring sound effect. You can't help
but be cheered.

Train hard !

Dell
Old December 30th 03, 05:48 PM
Jay Tegeder

"32 degrees" wrote in message ...
Greetings, rec.skiing. nordic

Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information
you have compiled regarding your year. You don't have
to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info
you'd like.

Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?

I think I trained about 400 hours with tons of it on the bike. In
fact, I rode 3300 miles this year which is a lot for me.

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

My highest was 11 1/2 hours and the lowest was probably around 4. I
averaged about 8 hours per week with lots of it on the bike as I
mentioned.

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

My longest bike rides were a couple of metric centuries. I did a 50
mile bike time trial too. My longest ski race was the Birkie and my
longets rollerski was about 45 kilometers.

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

I did about 9 ski races and 6 bike races.

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

I had an average ski year. My best performance was probably the
Osceola, Wisconsin road bike race. My worst performance was the Afton
mountain bike race where I got knocked out on the last lap.

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Skiing the Birkie Trail is always right up there. Skiing at Lake
Placid is pretty fun too. The Balsam Branch Trails in Amery, Wisconsin
are probably my favorite within an hour of Saint Paul. I skied there
earlier this month.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

Probaby freezing rain while skiing.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Top 200 in the Birkie is my only goal. I didn't make it this year but
I actually ski better out of wave 1 so it's okay not to reach my goal
if that makes sense.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Top 200 in the Birkie. Getting tougher every year.

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

The Birkie for competing and World Cup Nordic races for spectating.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Old December 31st 03, 04:15 AM
Eric W. Chandler

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?

226 hours total (112 hours of running and 40 hours of skate skiing the top two
categories)

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

Highest April 27th week = 9.0 spinup to grandma's marathon
Lowest = Zero. More times than I care to admit
3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

4:15:00 hike/run in White Tank Mountains west of Phoenix
OR 3:55:00 run Grandma's Marathon disaster.

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

13 races; 6 ski races (3 were 25k) and 7 running races (1 marathon)

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best=Birkie. Got into Wave 2 from Wave 3 on not much training.
Worst+ Grandma's Marathon 30 minutes off plan; mostly due to failure to follow
some golden rules. Worth doing because I learned a lot of good lessons...the
hard way.
6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

I remember the start of the Mora where it was 0F outside and 20 knots of wind
and when the announcer asked if everybody was ready to go there was a big
cheer. Truly a great sport when people are stoked to play outside when other
people are on the couch.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

See above and also the Pepsi Challenge half I did was also 0f and wicked windy.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

250 hours of volume. 25 hours short.
Move up a wave in Birkie. Yes.
Run under 3.5 hours in Grandma's. No.
Body Mass Index: Normal. Yes.
There's more but you don't care.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Lose ten pounds.
Birkie Wave One in 2005. Either via Birkie 04 or another long race.
Grandma's in 3.5 hours or less.
Concentrate on more strength training/core for XC
300 hours of volume.

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

Birkie Baby. It's crazy, but it's worth it.

Eric "Shmo" Chandler
Duluth, MN

Old December 31st 03, 04:19 PM
Bob Larson

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?

407 hours ...
1400 miles biking, 500 miles running, 50 miles swimming, 670 miles skiing,
3262 minutes on aerobic machines, 1200 sets on the weights, 960 miles
rollerskiing, 31 miles kayaking, and zero hours dryland training!

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

12 hours in mid Sept (almost 8 hours on rollerskis)
0.8 in late April (sick)

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

70 mile road bike ride ... bonked (I can't believe THAT is the
longest. It was a bad year.)

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

1 ski race, 1 duathlon, 1 triathlon

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Okoboji Triathlon, 15th overall ... best
Birkie 396th overall ... worst

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Skiing Murphy-Hanrehan, razorback x 3, about 2 weeks ago.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

Rollerskiing in January in Minnesota! I.e. global warming.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Goal was to maintain, and I barely did.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Ski the Birkie and place a little better. Do more/longer bike rides
(at least one ride 100 miles)

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or competing
in?

Has to be the Birkie, but it's a love/hate thing.

Happy New Year!
Bob
Old December 31st 03, 07:03 PM
Rob Bradlee

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn
bike
this year?

523 hours total

Rollerski: 133 hrs
Ski: 131 hrs
Canoe: 7
Bike 7
Run 227
Hike 16

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage(hour) weeks?

13.7 hrs in September - two long trail runs
6.4 hrs in September - teaching an all day clinic, plus day job busy

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

4 hr trail "race".

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

About 20 ski races.
Few trail running races due to chronic injury.

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: Silver Medal at Natl Masters pursuit.
Worst: Natl Masters Classic - missed the wax.

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable ski/run that you did this year?

Skiing with Thomas Alsgaard at West Yellowstone. Way cool.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while working out?

Great Glenn to Bretton Woods Nordic Adventu Rain changing to snow, 4
inches new snow, temps dropping to 20 F, bright sun with cold wind all
during a classic marathon.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Medal at Natl Masters. Yes!
Gold at NE Masters. No.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Age podium in 2 marathons (out of 4).
Gold at NE Masters.
Zak Cup age group win. (New England series).

10. Do you have a favorite ski event that you enjoyed watching or
competing
in?

Many that I love: Natl Masters, U.S. Senior Natls (watching), J2
Festival (watching), Eastern High School Champs (watching). Bogburn
10K classic - I helped build the trail.

Jeff Kalember (stole this from rec.running)

Thanks Jeff - a fun exercise.
Rob Bradlee

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old January 1st 04, 12:26 AM
Kevin Miller

1. How many miles/kilometres (or hours) did you ski/run/rollerski/mtn bike
this year?

460.75 hours

Bike (road/tri, mtn, transport): 5836K
Skate Ski: 427K
Classic Ski: 312K
Ice Speedskate: 60K
Inline Skate: 624K
Double pole on inline skates: 414K
Run: 789K
Weights: ? hours
(I logged daily details of hours, but haven't totalled them.)

3. What was your longest run/ski/mtnbike ?

121K / 5:20:19 "Beach to Beach" mountain bike race

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

44
10 ski (6 skate & 4 classic)
6 inline skate
9 run
9 mountain bike
10 duathlon (run/bike/run)

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Stay active and stay healthy. Yes.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Stay active and stay healthy.

Kevin Miller
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
"We have become so attached to the idea of convenience that we
will put up with almost any inconvenience to achieve it." Bill Bryson