Newb question

Old January 17th 06, 11:17 AM

I think Zeke is right, if you want good performing equipment that is
fitted and sorted for you, you need to find a seller that can take the
time to needed.
On the other hand, if you are looking a "back country" or "touring"
skis for entry level and do not want to invest allot of time or money,
I stand by the LL Bean, Kittery Trading Post or Swap Sale purchase.
This stuff can give you a feel for the sport. You can clamp them on and
bushwhack around the Back 40, the local golf course, the mountains,
abuse them all you want. When you get tired of watching the elegant
striders and skaters speed past you can find a good store and get
properly fitted.
Gene and Zeke are both right - better, fitted equipment makes for a
better skiing experience. I am chiming in to say; keep it simple. Have
fun, don't be overwhelmed by choices. Buy something, anything. I still
see skiers out there on wooden skis using bamboo poles and wearing rag
wool socks. There is no way that I am having a better day of skiing
than they are. We are all having great days.

Taking a lesson is a good idea. I can remember having the
"discussion" with my wife about the merits of metal edged skis. She
was convinced that she needed metal edges so that she could turn. I
kept telling her that what she really needed was to learn to ski. A few
years later she has learned to ski and she has found all four edges.
She is skiing on brand new Atomic skate skis - no metal edges. The
older Atomics that we each got at a swap sale are now our rock skis. I
guess my point is, she owned some entry level equipment, she
transitioned through 2-3 pairs of skis over a few years and in time
discovered what kind of skiing she likes to do. Getting her new skis at
a nice store, being fitted for boots by a really knowledgeable guy was
like getting her diploma.

Have fun.
/john skewes

Old January 17th 06, 03:47 PM

A very sensible approach, and the one I followed in my innocence,
ignorance and arrogance. Started with waxless Fischer E-99s (2/3 metal
edge?) for off trail touring and track. Then Dick Hunt sent me a swap
meet pair of waxless Kneisels so I could attend the W. Yellowstone camp
(rented skate eqpt). Next was a mail order pair of Atomic Vasa striders
that were notoriously soft, like snow shoes. Did the Mammoth Tannenbaum
10K in those and swore afterwards that I'd get a pair of skis that
glided like the young guys' skis (friends laughed at me). Now,
several years later, I'm being fitted by Zach, sort of the Italian
tailor of cross country racing skis in the U.S., getting great grip,
decent glide and wearing a smile.

Lee, bottom line is to decide what type(s) of skiing you want to start
with and go from there. One approach is to start with no-wax touring
skis, which will allow you to go on both groomed areas and to rove
through the woods (no-wax or waxless refers to not needing to wax the
kick zone, just glide wax the tips and tails). I do think getting
fitted earlier than later makes the learning curve more enjoyable and
saves lots of money and time later on, even if the initial outlay is
more. The boots for that are more multipurpose and less expensive than
racing boots. The bindings are also sometimes a little or a lot
different, tho a basic step in (auto) binding will probably do just
fine.

Check the prices on REI and LL Bean's site to get a sense of the most
you should pay (and perhaps the least, retail, in their sales bins).
Talk to Brian in Mammoth and see what he has to say in terms of your
needs. He may even have something used around he's taken in trade.

Gene

Old January 18th 06, 08:24 AM

I'm in Negaunee. I'll hit up the Sports Rack and I rented from Wilderness
Sports.

I just want to jump in here and thank you all for the feedback. It's
definately helped me think of options.

"Gene Goldenfeld" wrote in message
et...
Where in the UP? If you're within reach of Marquette, definitely head
over to the Sports Rack, which has lots of overstock and sales and good
staff. If you're closer to Ironwood, two options are the New Moon or
Riverbrook shops in the Hayward/Seeley WI area or shops in Duluth.
Check skinnyski.com for options.

I agree with the comments about buying boots first, which determines
bindings, and gettings skis flexed specifically for you. Forget the
weight ranges. As you get the hang of it, having skis that don't fit
you takes much of the fun out of it. Also, getting lighter poles
with wrap-around straps for roughly $50 is very much worth the
investment.

Gene

"Yooper" wrote:

RSN group-I should have been more specific in what I'm looking for.
I'd like information on quality used equipment or if possible, low
priced, good, new equipment. I'd like equipment that is geared
towards the "classic" style of xc skiing due to my unfamiliarity of
the "skating" style. I'm located in northern Michigan. I've rented
gear this weekend and really enjoyed xc again but it's been a few
years (14) since I've been on skis and I'm not sure what are quality
names anymore. From what I've read, the boots are something that
should be bought new, but the skis and poles are ok to go used for a
beginner. Thanks for any replies.

"Adam Gale" wrote in message
I can give you some simple ski equipment guides if you would like
them. If thats what you're looking for!! It seems like you are
looking in particular for used equipment but that can be risky
depending on what you want. Let me knwo at any rate. I have some
basic stuff here you can use!

Yooper wrote:
Getting back into xc skiing and I'm not sure on what equipment
(used) to look for. Is there a good website that any of you
would reccomend to

ask
this question? This one seems pretty advanced but it's all I
could find

on
usenet. Thanks.