Good News

Old April 5th 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Good News

The Real Bev wrote:
This from a 65 yo skier/snowboarder.

I've actually been thinking about taking up boarding as being easier
on the knees once you can stay up without falling over. The idea is
distasteful, but I am nothing if not pragmatic.

After breaking my foot last summer playing volleyball, my knee suddenly decided
to get REALLY sore near the end of summer. I tried exercising it before the
season and didn't get much result. Mid December I finally decided to try
snowboarding. After a few trips, my knee was clearly responding positively to
the riding, so I kept it up, and it's still improving trip after trip. I have
not been on skis this season because I don't want to twist it, and it's doing so
well snowboarding.

So you might be right.

If you try it, make sure you find a good instructor. Learning at the very first
to steer the board by twisting it at the front, rather than pushing the tail
around, will result in substantially fewer hard falls. The first 3 days can be
really bad, but the learning curve goes quickly after that. I'm really glad I
learned, and I'm having a great time every time I go up. And getting better each
time. Day 35 of the season today. My quads are getting strong.

Old April 5th 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

35 days! Is it November?

Old April 6th 14, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 04/04/2014 06:01 PM, Bob F wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
This from a 65 yo skier/snowboarder.

I've actually been thinking about taking up boarding as being easier
on the knees once you can stay up without falling over. The idea is
distasteful, but I am nothing if not pragmatic.

After breaking my foot last summer playing volleyball, my knee suddenly decided
to get REALLY sore near the end of summer. I tried exercising it before the
season and didn't get much result. Mid December I finally decided to try
snowboarding. After a few trips, my knee was clearly responding positively to
the riding, so I kept it up, and it's still improving trip after trip. I have
not been on skis this season because I don't want to twist it, and it's doing so
well snowboarding.

So you might be right.

If you try it, make sure you find a good instructor.

That's like saying "find a good doctor". I've found that flipping a
coin or choosing the one within walking distance is a better method than
asking somebody who ought to know :-( Especially when the procedure in
question was an aortic valve replacement (not for me).

Learning at the very first
to steer the board by twisting it at the front, rather than pushing the tail
around, will result in substantially fewer hard falls. The first 3 days can be
really bad, but the learning curve goes quickly after that. I'm really glad I
learned, and I'm having a great time every time I go up. And getting better each
time. Day 35 of the season today. My quads are getting strong.

Quads are already OK, it's the twisted knee and the lower-leg steering
muscles that are starting to complain. Actually, the steering muscles
have complained for a long time, I just ignored them.

--
Cheers, Bev
" While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.
Old April 6th 14, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

And yet still no response to the question of, why ALL. Why can't skiers have 3 areas out of (how many?)? And related: Why are there no snowboard only play areas? I'm talking total areas, not parts of mixed areas that are exclusive. I know that wheeled borders exclude bikes from "their turf" in some areas.

Old April 6th 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:23:51 PM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

And yet still no response to the question of, why ALL. Why can't skiers have 3
areas out of (how many?)? And related: Why are there no snowboard only play
areas? I'm talking total areas, not parts of mixed areas that are exclusive. I
know that wheeled borders exclude bikes from "their turf" in some areas.

I suppose it's because the ski areas have found that they make a lot more money
letting them peacefully co-exist at every other resort in the country. There
really is no problem. And the forest service completely supports them in that.
Skiers and snowboarders get along just fine, except when one or the other does
something stupid. Neither group is any better in that aspect.

I'd hate to have to go riding without all my skiing friends. I wouldn't often go
to a snowboard only area, and I'm sure the skiers I ride with feel similarly.We
get along just fine together, and have a great time together. And resort owners
understand that. And make a lot of $ supporting it.

Many families have both riders and skiers. Not many areas are stupid enough to
turn them away. I suppose having a special area for you, is good in it's way, so
the rest of the world doen't have to be bothered by you and your kinds ravings
and inability to learn how to co-exist.. But then again, how many times have you
skied there this season? Are you going to keep tham in business?

Old April 6th 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Bob F wrote:
[...]

Sorry Bev. I totally mismanage the quoteing, and hit enter before I checked.
This was clearly in response to the resident cranky old man.

Old April 6th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 10:13:26 AM UTC-6, Bob F wrote:

I suppose it's because the ski areas have found that they make a lot more money
letting them peacefully co-exist at every other resort in the country. There
really is no problem. And the forest service completely supports them in that.

Well there are 3 that apparently haven't. The question is: Why are all the rest not enough?

And then I added: If coexistence is the goal, why do landboreders exclude bicycles from their play areas?

If you don't ski at an exclusively ski area or you ski only groomed then you clearly don't know the degradation that snoreboring causes to off piste skiing.
Old April 6th 14, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 10:13:26 AM UTC-6, Bob F wrote:

I suppose it's because the ski areas have found that they make a lot more
money letting them peacefully co-exist at every other resort in the country.
There really is no problem. And the forest service completely supports them
in that.

Well there are 3 that apparently haven't. The question is: Why are all the rest
not enough?

And then I added: If coexistence is the goal, why do landboreders exclude
bicycles from their play areas?

If you don't ski at an exclusively ski area or you ski only groomed then you
clearly don't know the degradation that snoreboring causes to off piste skiing.

You talking to me???
..
LOL! I guess your memory is going too. Or you haver never read anything I've
said here.

3 areas cater to cranks like you??? Good for you! How many hundreds cater to
everyone and seem to do just great. Almost every skier in the country shares ALL
of their skiing with snowboarders and have a great time.

Skiers and snowboarders get along just fine on and off piste. But maybe they
don't all obey your rules. Too bad for you.

Funny how many skiers love to ski with me, whether on my board or my skis. And I
love to ride or ski with them. None of your imagined problems are prevalent
here.

The only real problems are people who don't recognize the difficulties of the
other way of getting up and down the mountain and compensate as appropriate for
the safety and enjoyment of all, people who just don't think or care about the
consequences of their actions, and a very few obvious bigots.

Old April 7th 14, 12:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

So you just feel the need to infringe on every single skier? 3 resorts is too many? Why is hundreds to 3 not enough?

Old April 7th 14, 12:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:16:14 AM UTC-6, pigo wrote:
http://www.komonews.com/sports/Fores...253427231.html

Can anyone explain why ALL the resorts less 3 are not enough for these assholes?

Maybe we should start a campaign for shuffleboard to be played at bowling alleys? You know, across the approach. They could just go in between bowlers.. And make those bigots wait if they didn't like it? And why close the streets during marathons? They can run down the sidewalks when the cars feel that their destinations are more important, can't they? Oh yeah, and how about people bring their babies into high dollar restaurants or movies or other places of some dignity and/or civility. And just let them scream and wail and ruin pretty much everybody else's time. Oh wait. They already do.

Good News Everyone [email protected] Alpine Skiing 42 November 17th 12 08:55 PM
Good News! Walt Alpine Skiing 0 June 18th 10 07:07 PM
Good News! Walt Alpine Skiing 2 October 25th 05 07:19 PM
Bad news, good news Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 16 June 27th 05 10:36 AM
© © © Good News! pigo Alpine Skiing 3 February 18th 05 01:00 PM