Thrift store shopping advice

Old September 10th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Thrift store shopping advice

I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?
Old September 10th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Sep 10, 8:21*am, Richard Henry wrote:
I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

Gems. Perfect for you. Just crank the binders up and go for it.
Old September 10th 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 10, 8:21*am, Richard Henry wrote:
I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

Never mind. I went to a different thrift store today and found a pair
of 195 cm Atomic ARC933 SE with Marker M41 bindings. They have a
Massachusetts sports store label on them (Competitive Edge Ski and
Bike, Holyoke and Hadley) (did I mention that I am in Woodland Ca this
weekend?). The only mark I can find on them is residue from the tape
that held them together. My price, after various age and date
discounts - $20

The first skis are still at Goodwill, the second pair bought at
Salvation Army, both in Woodland. Then we went over to the Deseret
Industries store and another Goodwill in Sacrtamento. I picked up a
few interesting books and a new Pendlaton MacTaggart Tartan short for
$3.

Quiz of the day - what is the price for a used copy of the Book of
Mormon at Deseret Industries Thrift Store?
Old September 11th 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 09/10/2011 11:21 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

If you like the skis, then OK but the binding are probably trash. When I
worked in the shop at Bear Mt (part of Killington, not the one in SoCal,
we fancied ourselves as the broken equipment capital of the East. The
most common broken binding was Geze, usually the heel, but sometimes a
toe piece.

Old September 11th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sep 10, 4:56*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Sep 10, 8:21*am, Richard Henry wrote:

I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

Never mind. *I went to a different thrift store today and found a pair
of 195 cm Atomic ARC933 SE with Marker M41 bindings. *They have a
Massachusetts sports store label on them (Competitive Edge Ski and
Bike, Holyoke and Hadley) (did I mention that I am in Woodland Ca this
weekend?). *The only mark I can find on them is residue from the tape
that held them together. *My price, after various age and date
discounts - $20

You paid twenty bucks for a fifteen year old pair of straight skis?
I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you, dumb****. Leads to the SPD
precinct hourse.
Contact info? I want to report you for ripping yourself off.
Holy ****, you really are bragging about scoring some tomato stakes?
Let me brag. Last year I scored a cherry pair of two year old Stockli
world cup gs race skis. Barely a scratch on them.
The lady who ran the store likes me so much she threw in a set of
three year old cherry binders that set to a 12.
25 bucks. For a thousand dollar set-up. Though I will admit the damn
things are so stiff I only ski them at SV and DV.
Where is this thrift store?
Go **** yourself. Back in the old days, would be happy to share. But
not now.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Emergency goodwill run!!!!!
Dickless Henry is bragging about paying money for dumpster skis!!!!!!

Quiz of the day - what is the price for a used copy of the Book of
Mormon at Deseret Industries Thrift Store?

I'm sure Birther Bob will send you a copy for free.

Old September 11th 11, 06:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Holy ****, you really are bragging about scoring some tomato stakes?
Let me brag. Last year I scored a cherry pair of two year old Stockli
world cup gs race skis. Barely a scratch on them.
The lady who ran the store likes me so much she threw in a set of
three year old cherry binders that set to a 12.

Liar. Nobody likes you.

25 bucks. For a thousand dollar set-up. Though I will admit the damn
things are so stiff I only ski them at SV and DV.

Liar. You don't have 25 bucks. And you've never been to SV or DV.
Your probation officer won't allow you to leave the state. Now do us
all a favor and shove a gun in your mouth and put a fresh coat of red
paint on the walls of your room, dumbass.

Vote for Romney, Repeal the nightmares.
Old September 11th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

Holy ****, you really are bragging about scoring some tomato stakes?
Let me brag. *Last year I scored a cherry pair of two year old Stockli
world cup gs race skis. *Barely a scratch on them.
The lady who ran the store likes me so much she threw in a set of
three year old cherry binders that set to a 12.

Liar. *Nobody likes you.

Awwwww, Horvie. Here you are going all bat**** crazy again,
dumb****. Outing you on claiming awards you never earned must really
bug you, eh, PUCsy?

25 bucks. *For a thousand dollar set-up. *Though I will admit the damn
things are so stiff I only ski them at SV and DV.

Liar. *You don't have 25 bucks. *And you've never been to SV or DV.
Your probation officer won't allow you to leave the state. *Now do us
all a favor and shove a gun in your mouth and put a fresh coat of red
paint on the walls of your room, dumbass.

Do me a favor, show up and say that in person. Oooops, forgot.
You're not that much of a dumbass.
Old September 11th 11, 04:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 10, 5:37*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 09/10/2011 11:21 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

If you like the skis, then OK but the binding are probably trash. When I
worked in the shop at Bear Mt (part of Killington, not the one in SoCal,
we fancied ourselves as the broken equipment capital of the East. The
most common broken binding was Geze, usually the heel, but sometimes a
toe piece.

I passed on the Geze/Pre combo because of the Atomic/Marker deal I
found the next day. Usually when I check thrift store skis (typically
in a barrel or rack in the back of the store) they are either kids
skis, old skis with the bidings removed, or some cheap shaped-ski
trash that I don't even bother to look further at.

This weekend my wife and I visited 5 thrift stores and a couple of
"antique" malls. Besides the skis I got a few old handtools, a couple
of shirts, a half-dozen books (one of them a first-hand account of
life in the Maine lumber camps in the 30's) and some utensils for my
son's new college apartment. My wife bought about a dozen clothing
items averaging about $2 each.

The item I that I will regret passing up was a 40's-era Roysl portable
typewriter whose keyboard was compacted by putting three characters on
each typebar (such as q, Q. and 1) selecting the correct one with
either "Shift" or "Fig" control, both of which have little locking
tabs. The carrying case was so small that the roller had to be
removed and clipped into the top before closing up.
Old September 11th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/11/2011 09:08 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

This weekend my wife and I visited 5 thrift stores and a couple of
"antique" malls. Besides the skis I got a few old handtools, a couple
of shirts, a half-dozen books (one of them a first-hand account of
life in the Maine lumber camps in the 30's) and some utensils for my
son's new college apartment. My wife bought about a dozen clothing
items averaging about $2 each.

I see so few skis or boots that I'd be willing to buy that there's no
point in even thinking about it, and we hit at least 20 yard sales every
Saturday. I got some stuff a long time ago at the local Posh Private
School rummage sale, and every couple of years I replace my skis, but I
should really check Play It Again more frequently. Prices are higher,
but that's OK. On a per-use basis, everything is cheap.

The item I that I will regret passing up was a 40's-era Roysl portable
typewriter whose keyboard was compacted by putting three characters on
each typebar (such as q, Q. and 1) selecting the correct one with
either "Shift" or "Fig" control, both of which have little locking
tabs. The carrying case was so small that the roller had to be
removed and clipped into the top before closing up.

What I regret passing up, although I know I will hever buy one, are IBM
Executive or Selectric typewriters. Absolutely perfect for what they
do. My mom was always sorry that she didn't take her Selectric with her
when she retired. She was also sorry that she didn't learn about
computers when she was working.

What I REALLY regret passing up was a wood tenor recorder for $15 maybe
30 years ago. You can buy Chinese recorders now for roughly that price,
but the old one was special.

--
Cheers, Bev
"You know that I could go on the Internet right now under my
Old September 11th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Richard Henry wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:37 pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 09/10/2011 11:21 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

I found a pair of loooooong Pre M6 skis with Geze bibdibgs - gem or
trash?

If you like the skis, then OK but the binding are probably trash.
When I worked in the shop at Bear Mt (part of Killington, not the
one in SoCal, we fancied ourselves as the broken equipment capital
of the East. The most common broken binding was Geze, usually the
heel, but sometimes a toe piece.

I passed on the Geze/Pre combo because of the Atomic/Marker deal I
found the next day. Usually when I check thrift store skis (typically
in a barrel or rack in the back of the store) they are either kids
skis, old skis with the bidings removed, or some cheap shaped-ski
trash that I don't even bother to look further at.

You have to hit thrift shops frequently for the good stuff. The bargains and
quality go quickly, leaving the junk and overpriced stuff to languish. I've
gotten lots of incredible deals at thrift shops. The snowboard boots I've used
for the last few years were $30 for brand new boots. I picked up a pair of
almost new Vans for $10 a month ago, which only needed $10 for two adjustment
knobs to complete them. The board I used for powder for the end of last season
was $25.