Board Recommendations

Old September 16th 03, 06:37 PM
Jeff R

Default Board Recommendations

I am looking to replace my 1998 custom 160. I need something stiff
enough to be stable at speed, but at the same time allow me to hit the
moguls. I also need something that floats through the deep powder out
west and also versatile enough to take in the park, but NO PIPE.

I have narrowed it down to another burton custom, ride timeless, gnu
genetics, never summer evo, donek incline

~J
Old September 16th 03, 07:23 PM
Mike T

I am looking to replace my 1998 custom 160. I need something stiff
enough to be stable at speed, but at the same time allow me to hit the
moguls. I also need something that floats through the deep powder out
west and also versatile enough to take in the park, but NO PIPE.

I have narrowed it down to another burton custom, ride timeless, gnu
genetics, never summer evo, donek incline

I can help you my comparing the Donek Incline 160 and the Custom 160, both
of which I've owned.

I find the Incline is much, much more stable at speed than the Custom. This
is in part due to the fact that it's stiffer but also due to differences in
sidecut and effective edge (Donek has mellower sidecut and more effective
edge) and also the differences in sidecut shape and board construction.
(Donek is stiffer lengthwise, but *much* stiffer across).

In moguls, the differences will depend on your skill level and style. If
you want to slowly pick your way between the moguls, the Custom will be
easier due to it's softer flex and shorter radius. If you attack them I'd
suggest the Incline due to it's stability and ability to hold an edge on
just about anything.

Float through powder - it all depends on how big you are! The heavier you
are the more surface area on your board you need to float. I found that
neither my Custom 160 nor my Incline 160 provided ample flotation in deep
light pow - my weight was 185+-5 pounds. I now have a Donek Wide 161 and
the extra 2cm of width makes an incredible difference in flotation. Some
people prefer to go longer in powder, I prefer to go wider. (At least in
softboots - I also ride hard boots, in which case different rules apply).

Park - I do mostly just straight airs and simple grabs, on a really good day
I try 180s and 360s. I have found the Doneks are great again because of
their stability - they are very easy to land, and have the ability to rescue
landings well. The Custom is easier to bend if you want to do a lot of
flatland tricks, rails, or anything else that requires a flexy board.

Overall, I've never ridden anything that I like better than a Donek. I own
a handful... a Wide 161, an older Incline 168 that I bought used as a rock
board, a Freecarve 163 and an Axis 172. My wife has two Incline 150s. My
cousin now has the Incline 160. We all love 'em. Even at current prices
they are, in my opinion, an incredible value.

Mike T

Old September 18th 03, 01:13 AM
Arvin Chang

Hi Jeff... I have the Neversummer Evo 155. I like it a lot, but it is
specifically a park/PIPE board so probably not what you want if you
only have one board.

The Evo is very responsive edge to edge and it is easy to make lots of
little quick turns, good for lining up a jump, rail or a pipe wall.
The tradeoff is that it is much less stable at higher speeds. It also
has really snappy nose and tails... which is great for
ollies/nollies... but will mean that you will get throw around a bit
when riding through the crud.

I think the Evo is too specialize to be a generic board.

I have a Salomon Definition 156 which is much more stable and suitable
for all-mountain freeriding. It is also softer/dampened in the nose
and tail, making for a smoother ride... at the cost of some ollie
power.

If you want a Neversummer, maybe try their SL or Premier lines.

I've ridden the Timeless once, it was quite nice... good all around
freeride board that you can take in the park occasionally.

I see Mike T has covered the Custom and the Incline... I would go for
the Incline myself... but that's just based on a lot of word of mouth
comments about it.

To float in powder you need a slightly larger board with the stance
set back a little. Most of these boards can do that. BTW, I'm a Tahoe,
CA rider.

Old September 19th 03, 06:55 PM
Colin Fraser

"Jeff R" wrote in message
om...
I am looking to replace my 1998 custom 160. I need something stiff
enough to be stable at speed, but at the same time allow me to hit the
moguls. I also need something that floats through the deep powder out
west and also versatile enough to take in the park, but NO PIPE.

I have narrowed it down to another burton custom, ride timeless, gnu
genetics, never summer evo, donek incline

~J

Not one of the boards you mention but maybe another option to consider...

I got myself a 165 Palmer Honeycomb last year and have found it to be a
good allrounder - stable at speed, carves well on hardpack, plenty float in
powder but light enough to throw about. Landed my first 360 on it last
season so it can spin. I was a bit worried about it's durability as it
feels very light but seems to be holding up fine.

I did find that it could be fairly hard work in the moguls if you were
feeling lazy or tired, but it goes well when you are attacking.

Col

Fakie board recommendation Skitzo Snowboarding 9 May 13th 04 11:03 PM
Snowboard pant recommendations XkameleonX Snowboarding 2 September 13th 03 03:55 AM
which gnu board Nico Snowboarding 0 September 4th 03 06:20 PM
weight of board on life hurts knee Baretta Snowboarding 1 August 21st 03 11:54 PM
Whistler Recommendations? TomTom Snowboarding 1 July 28th 03 11:26 AM