Overnight Eurostar

Old October 16th 03, 04:31 PM
Neil Walker

Default Overnight Eurostar

Taken the option of travelling by overnight Direct Eurostar to Tignes this
year. Will get 8 days ski-ing for the price of 6, which can't be bad. Can
anyone offer any useful advice / tips.

Thanks

Old October 16th 03, 04:37 PM
Ace

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:31:49 +0100, "Neil Walker"
wrote:

Taken the option of travelling by overnight Direct Eurostar to Tignes this
year.

Heh. They've extended it then? I presume you realise that it goes as
far as Bourg st, Maurice and you'll have to get a bus/taxi for the
last 15 miles?

Will get 8 days ski-ing for the price of 6, which can't be bad. Can
anyone offer any useful advice / tips.

Check the bus times, or be prepared to pay about 60 euros for a taxi.
The buses only run about every two-three hours and can sometimes be
booked up, so it's probably worth booking in advance.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old October 17th 03, 09:31 AM
Neil Walker

Thanks, I did know that the train only went that far and have assumed that
the tour operator would get me from train to resort. As the train arrives
at 06:57 I don't fancy hanging around for hours waiting for a loal transfer.

wrote:

Taken the option of travelling by overnight Direct Eurostar to Tignes

this
year.

Heh. They've extended it then? I presume you realise that it goes as
far as Bourg st, Maurice and you'll have to get a bus/taxi for the
last 15 miles?

Will get 8 days ski-ing for the price of 6, which can't be bad. Can
anyone offer any useful advice / tips.

Check the bus times, or be prepared to pay about 60 euros for a taxi.
The buses only run about every two-three hours and can sometimes be
booked up, so it's probably worth booking in advance.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Ski Club.

Old October 17th 03, 10:08 AM
Ace

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:31:42 +0100, "Neil Walker"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

I presume you realise that it goes as
far as Bourg st, Maurice and you'll have to get a bus/taxi for the
last 15 miles?

Thanks, I did know that the train only went that far and have assumed that
the tour operator would get me from train to resort. As the train arrives
at 06:57 I don't fancy hanging around for hours waiting for a loal transfer.

If it's booked through a tour operator they almost certainly will also
arrange coach transfers as part of the deal. Check with them first.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old October 17th 03, 07:07 PM
Darren Atter

wrote:

Taken the option of travelling by overnight Direct Eurostar to Tignes
this
year.

Heh. They've extended it then? I presume you realise that it goes as
far as Bourg st, Maurice and you'll have to get a bus/taxi for the
last 15 miles?

Will get 8 days ski-ing for the price of 6, which can't be bad. Can
anyone offer any useful advice / tips.

Check the bus times, or be prepared to pay about 60 euros for a taxi.
The buses only run about every two-three hours and can sometimes be
booked up, so it's probably worth booking in advance.

Took this a couple of years ago with a tour op. Train works really well,
you can get some sleep and you arrive early enough to get the extra days
skiing unlike taking the snowtrain.

We went with a tour op and they used a taxi to get us to Val. That cost
either £40 (i think) or 40 euros. I thought that was fairly reasonable and
I'd do it rather than take the bus but the bus station is next to the
train station.

Take lots of alcohol for the trip. We didn't take much but others (old
uns) on the train had done it before and were all ready - gin drips etc!
Train quietened down about 1am and people dozed for the evening.

Old October 21st 03, 11:57 AM
Jon

Check the bus times, or be prepared to pay about 60 euros for a taxi.
The buses only run about every two-three hours and can sometimes be
booked up, so it's probably worth booking in advance.

We did it last year (2nd week in Jan I think) and had no problems getting on
a bus up to Val (which is a bit past Tignes of course). We certainly didn't
book but we got straight on the next bus, waiting maybe half an hour at the
very most. I seem to recall the frequency of the service being rather more
regular then every 2-3 hours - once an hour at worst I think. The bus was
about 10-12 euros each and the cabs were, as you say, about 60. There was 4
of us so the savings from going on the bus were not massive.

The main bus company is called something like "Autocars Martin". I'm sure
they have a website...

Old October 21st 03, 02:29 PM
Ace

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:57:06 +0100, "Jon"
wrote:

Check the bus times, or be prepared to pay about 60 euros for a taxi.
The buses only run about every two-three hours and can sometimes be
booked up, so it's probably worth booking in advance.

We did it last year (2nd week in Jan I think) and had no problems getting on
a bus up to Val (which is a bit past Tignes of course). We certainly didn't
book but we got straight on the next bus, waiting maybe half an hour at the
very most. I seem to recall the frequency of the service being rather more
regular then every 2-3 hours - once an hour at worst I think.

I did it on a Sunday, when they're considerably less frequent. I'd
have needed to wait 2.5 hours for the next one, having got there
around midday. Also, the following Saturday there was _no_ chance of
getting a bus back down unless you'd pre-booked it. I ended up
hitching a lift down to pipck up the Geneva bus from Bourg.

The bus was
about 10-12 euros each and the cabs were, as you say, about 60. There was 4
of us so the savings from going on the bus were not massive.

The main bus company is called something like "Autocars Martin". I'm sure
they have a website...

Correct on both counts.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)