snowdome lessons

Old October 10th 03, 04:47 PM
Rob White

Default snowdome lessons

We're taking a complete beginner with us at Christmas and thought that a
day's couse at the Tamworth Snowdome before then might be useful for her.
Does anybody have any comments or personal experience?

Rob

Old October 10th 03, 05:50 PM
Colin Irvine

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:47:33 +0100, "Rob White"
wrote:

We're taking a complete beginner with us at Christmas and thought that a
day's couse at the Tamworth Snowdome before then might be useful for her.
Does anybody have any comments or personal experience?

The main slope can get a bit icy, if she gets that far - the Snozone
at Mlton Keynes is better (and more expensive). Certainly I'd do one
or the other - she might just avoid the complete beginners class at
the resort.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 11th 03, 05:27 PM
Paul in Coventry UK

Hywel Jenkins wrote in message et...
In article ,
says...
We're taking a complete beginner with us at Christmas and thought that a
day's couse at the Tamworth Snowdome before then might be useful for her.
Does anybody have any comments or personal experience?

Some friends of hours took the four one hour lessons last
October/November. They were nicely set up for the trip in February this
year. The first hour lesson looked a bit disheartening - walking around
in circles with one ski on, falling over, etc., but most people I see
seem to pick up the balance-slidy-wobbly-thing pretty quickly.

A day may be a bit long, and it may be difficult to take it all in. The
day also seems to involve a lot of coffee breaks! Perhaps a couple of
combi lessons would be better. If you get a copy of Ski & Snowboard
magazine you could get a BOGOF voucher that you can use.

This depends a bit on where you are taking her skiing. If it's North
America, then it might be safe to postpone lessons until you get
there. If Europe, then probably best to get a couple of lessons in
first. I've used both Tamworth and Milton Keynes. I would strongly
recommend using one or other of them rather than a dry slope. I did
(at Tamworth) and found it a big help. I've never used a dry slope but
friends tell me that being a novice on real snow (icy or not) is a) a
lot more realistic and b) a lot less painful.

The downside is that both indoor-snow centres can get very busy and
crowded. Most novices (and I include me when I was one) are easily
spooked by loads of moving obstructions. This is usually less of a
problem on the nursery slopes at the resort. Lessons are also a lot
more expensive on the indoor snow than at the resort (but this ignores
the costs of getting there, accommodation, hire etc etc). Mid-week
daytime is a LOT less busy but you can get nuked by hords of
out-of-control school kids!

Which you use depends mostly on where you live. If geography doesn't
matter then I'd say Tamworth is the better slope (has a bend it it)
and is cheaper but MK is wider and has more to do before and after
(shopping, eating etc). You can also choose what kit you hire
(probably irrelevant to a novice) but costs more.

YMMV as they used to say.

Let us know what you decide.

HTH

Paul in Coventry
Old October 12th 03, 08:21 AM
InMyTree

Tamworth is like a elevated ice rink.. I would take her to Milton Keynes
instead.. it costs more, but I would rather ski on plastic than at
Tamworth..

Old October 14th 03, 12:36 PM
Alasdair Keddie

Also Tamworth has a seperate slope for Beginers, useful for avoiding other
moving obstructions!

Old October 14th 03, 06:20 PM
Colin Irvine

"Rob White" wrote in message
We're taking a complete beginner with us at Christmas and thought that a
day's couse at the Tamworth Snowdome before then might be useful for her.
Does anybody have any comments or personal experience?

So does Milton Keynes.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.