The Canyons Avalanche Photos

Old January 24th 05, 10:19 PM
Champ

On 23 Jan 2005 07:13:58 -0800, "todd" wrote:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

I'm not adverse to them trying to reclaim some portion of
the expense of doing a back country rescue. On the one hand,
you don't get billed when you call for a cop, but...

actually, while you don't pay for a cop, you do pay for any standard
rescue. if you know anyone that has gotten billed for an ambulence
pickup or medivac flight, they bill you heavily and you just hope your
insurance was able to pick it up.

Maybe in the good ol' US of A. Not necessarily in the rest of the
world.
--
Champ
Old January 25th 05, 07:50 AM
Switters

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:20 GMT, id no@id allegedly wrote:

It starts with a detailed
account of the big Mt Baker avalanche on the Shuksan Arm in around 98.
Rumble Gully - the gully that's out of bounds to skiers right from chair
8 - got filled - something to bear in mind when you're poaching lines
down there...

3 years ago they dropped a bomb on the Arm after a lot of people were
going out there. Conditions were marginal, and a huge section of the arm
dropped into the gully and half filled it. It was impressive and scary at
the same time. As I recall, it got people talking.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 25th 05, 07:56 AM
Switters

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:50:16 GMT, Switters allegedly
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:20 GMT, id no@id allegedly wrote:

It starts with a detailed
account of the big Mt Baker avalanche on the Shuksan Arm in around
98. Rumble Gully - the gully that's out of bounds to skiers right
from chair 8 - got filled - something to bear in mind when you're
poaching lines down there...

3 years ago they dropped a bomb on the Arm after a lot of people were
going out there. Conditions were marginal, and a huge section of the
arm dropped into the gully and half filled it. It was impressive and
scary at the same time. As I recall, it got people talking.

Just to add to that, I took a few pics of the fracture line on the Arm
near Hemispheres.
http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/photos/s.../dsc00005.html

Old January 25th 05, 07:01 PM
G.Kirkwood

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:35:20 GMT, id no@id allegedly wrote:

It starts with a detailed
account of the big Mt Baker avalanche on the Shuksan Arm in around
98. Rumble Gully - the gully that's out of bounds to skiers right
from chair 8 - got filled - something to bear in mind when you're
poaching lines down there...

3 years ago they dropped a bomb on the Arm after a lot of people were
going out there. Conditions were marginal, and a huge section of the
arm dropped into the gully and half filled it. It was impressive and
scary at the same time. As I recall, it got people talking.

Just to add to that, I took a few pics of the fracture line on the Arm
near Hemispheres.
http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/photos/s.../dsc00005.html

- Dave.

Just goes to show, digging a pit is not enough, unless your going 10+
ft. , or more deep. You have to know what happened last week,
month, and even further back. Back country riding is ALWAYS a risk,
the risk just varies by degrees. Experienced, well equipped back
country skiers, riders and climbers die all the time.