Quickest way to teach sportski instead of skiwalk?

Old January 8th 05, 10:12 PM

Default Quickest way to teach sportski instead of skiwalk?

My wife said the most alarming thing the other day: She wanted me to
show her how to ski better.

She's been skiing a half hour every day. She's getting to be pretty
darn buff.

So we went out together for the first time. I see that she does a very
fine version of skiwalking or skitouring: perfect for birdwatching,
which is what we should all probably be doing. She's upright and shoves
each foot forward and uses her arms somewhat for stability.

So I try to show her how to shift to a dynamic way of skiing that will
give her more exercise and zip in her skiing.

She quickly decides she doesn't want a lesson after all---she's very
pressed for time and only wants to ski. But she lets me show her each
of the basics anyway. : ) Oh, it was rich, and a delight.

I emphasized a forward position---a slight crouch with hands forward
and legs sprung a bit. I emphasized timing the poling and kick together
(she had them separated for more stability and to avoid the stallout
that would come in skiwalking with syncopation). I suggested that a
check for position might be that the eyes might naturally look at the
trail 20 feet ahead rather than at the birds, but that a sporty skier
lifts the eyes instead of the head to see around. I had her ski behind
me close for about one minute (max tolerance). Then I skied past in
front of her in side view when both skiwalking and sportskiing, for
another minute each---max patience exertion. She said we'd do more
later but I realize that this was likely our only class.

Anyway, anyone have an easy tip or three for the next 5 minute class
she decides she can handle?

We're nowhere near any 'real' classes nor is the cash or time or
mentality available for such. I think I could wedge in another 5
minutes some year.

But there's a chance that she'll catch on from what we went over
yesterday. Were my tips crazy or maybe will help?

--JP

--JP

Old January 9th 05, 02:27 AM
J999w

If she only has 30 minutes to ski, and she's enjoying it the way she's skiing
now, I say let her enjoy and forget about technique unless she asks again.

If she does ask again, I'd have her ski without poles for the first 5 minutes
each time out. Then when she uses her poles ... zoooooom !

jw
milwaukee
Old January 9th 05, 01:41 PM

Whoa, she'd said yesterday that she already had started using some of
the ideas I mentioned and they were helping. So far so good.

I mentioned no-poles to her just now and she said Oh I've been doing
that already. She thought of it on her own! She says it helps her get
her kick working good. Cool... That girl, she's always ahead of the
game.

FYI, for weightloss inspiration: she's been biking daily for the past
year (or jogging), avoiding seconds, and found a fresh zap of daily
inspiration with her hot-selling art studio...and she's lost *60
pounds*. (Gained from having 2 kids.) She's riding fast and now skiing
right along and has basically learned to enjoy using her body every
day. She loves doing errands on her bike the best: utility is where
it's at for her.

--JP

Old January 9th 05, 06:18 PM
Janne G

J999w wrote:
If she only has 30 minutes to ski, and she's enjoying it the way she's skiing
now, I say let her enjoy and forget about technique unless she asks again.

If she does ask again, I'd have her ski without poles for the first 5 minutes
each time out. Then when she uses her poles ... zoooooom !

Alter this with some pole-only session and you strenghten the upper body
and back. Womens does have a weaker upper body (normally that is) and
can benefit relatvly more from training the upper body than men.

Janne G
Old January 9th 05, 11:20 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Jeff,

Among other things, learning will come quicker if conditions are good.
That means well-groomed snow and excellently prepped skis.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old January 10th 05, 03:49 AM
Ralph

Anyway, anyone have an easy tip or three for the next 5 minute class
she decides she can handle?

Generally I'd suggest she learn from someone other than a spouse. As a
ski instructors I've seen the problem of spouse teaching spouse way to
often. A good female instructor would be a gem for her to work with.
Ralph Thornton