Flat-Boarding II

Old January 7th 05, 06:01 PM
yunlong

Default Flat-Boarding II

Now there's even simpler/easier way to ski:

From "Flat-Boarding" we've learned that "On two skis, when they are

held parallel and equally weighed, they will run straight. If one ski
is weighed more than the other ski, they will turn (changing direction)
to the weighed-ski side if the turning balance is maintained." To weigh
on the ski is the "cross-over," one of the most difficult concept and
technique to comprehend and to achieve in high-level downhill skiing,
where the conventional (pole-planting) parallel skiing techniques
employ four distinct steps (1. pole-plant, 2. unweigh, 3. change
direction, and 4. traverse) to achieve it.

The new way? Bleed the speed of the inside ski by slipping the
"outside" edge of the inside ski (which would scrape the snow downward
a bit thus slow down the ski), and the other ski, now is "outside" ski,
goes faster, so would push both ski to change the direction, and if the
same force is maintained, the turning would continue. The "cross-over"
is now simply to stand/weigh on the inside ski. By maintaining 50/50
balance on both skis, the skis "track" "straight" again.
Fun stuff,
IS

Old January 7th 05, 06:17 PM
Walt

yunlong wrote:

snip

Sorry, we already did Flat-Boarding II, courtesy of tm.

Here it is again, in case you missed it:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/tabidoki/tvcm/movie/jsp30_300k.asx

This thread would be Flat-Boarding III. Please increment your counter.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 7th 05, 06:24 PM
JvD

"Walt" wrote
Sorry, we already did Flat-Boarding II, courtesy of tm.

Here it is again, in case you missed it:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/tabidoki/tvcm/movie/jsp30_300k.asx

BWAAAHAA!

This thread would be Flat-Boarding III. Please increment your counter.

Excrement, actually.

Old January 7th 05, 07:30 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
Now there's even simpler/easier way to ski:

From "Flat-Boarding" we've learned that "On two skis, when they are

held parallel and equally weighed, they will run straight. If one ski
is weighed more than the other ski, they will turn (changing direction)
to the weighed-ski side if the turning balance is maintained." To weigh
on the ski is the "cross-over," one of the most difficult concept and
technique to comprehend and to achieve in high-level downhill skiing,
where the conventional (pole-planting) parallel skiing techniques
employ four distinct steps (1. pole-plant, 2. unweigh, 3. change
direction, and 4. traverse) to achieve it.

The new way? Bleed the speed of the inside ski by slipping the
"outside" edge of the inside ski (which would scrape the snow downward
a bit thus slow down the ski),

"Outside" relative to what. I think you mean outside relative to your
body. If you meant the outside of the inside ski relative to the turn
you would be in a heap of trouble. Follow me here. If you are turning
left, then the left ski would be the "inside" ski of the turn. Foot,
back me up here. the outside edge of this ski, then, is the big toe edge
of that ski. Still with me? If you try dragging that edge you are in
fact "Catching and Edge" and you will be on the ground presently if you
continue.

Now, I think you may well have a nifty way to teach skiing. I went
through the early progression in teaching with a PSIA Level 2 friend of
mine. What he describes is not totally unlike what you describe. The
problem lies, I believe, is in your ability to describe in words to us
what you are about as illustrated by my first paragraph. Words,
semantics, are the problem. He also made clear the difference between a
stem christie and a wedge christie, a problem I'd had "getting" in
another thread.

In an earlier work "Tai Chi Skiing" you describe an attitude. A state of
mind for a skier to be in. My observation and experience is that MANY
skiers shift themselves into such a state of mind. Watch a slalom racer,
or more particularly, a competitive bump skier, study the course, ski it
in his/her mind and get that mind to place that is nowhere else than
right "there".

Back to your flat boarding. The "old way" that you describe above is
advanced even by the standards of 30 years ago. In fact it is rarely
taught today at all. The equipment of today simply doesn't demand such a
strong technique. Most people, it seems, get to the strong intermediate
stage and think "good enough" and never go for the advanced moves which
will complete their training and allow them to ski everything, all the time.

I suspect that you are an energetic and somewhat charismatic teacher who
can express the ideas clearly one-on-one to someone else who has a pair
of skis on his/her feet. When you are explaining, you are also pointing
and demonstrating and doing. You don't make mistakes like you made above.

When I was teaching, almost 40 years ago now, I didn't dwell on the
technical aspects too much. I stressed fun. I stressed "this works in
this situation". Try this see what it feels like. Then very small moves
to improve position and balance, usually bringing hands forward or if
the problem was continual, then drills to correct just one problem at at
time. I didn't talk a lot. I demonstrated, I pointed, I showed.

I've made a few smart-ass remark like "come ski with me" etc. poking fun
at what I thought your technique could do on something steep and slick.
I do recognize that you are promoting a teaching technique/tool and that
the advanced skiing that you would teach would be pretty much the way we
all ski, because that's what works. Actually I'd very much like to ski
with you sometime. Just for the fun of it because that's what it's all
about.

VtSkier aka RW

Old January 7th 05, 07:48 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

"Outside" relative to what. I think you mean outside relative to your
body.

But of course. How are you going to get the skis inside your body? I
can only think of two ways, and neither seems comfortable or conducive
to athletic activity.

Or maybe I'm missing something...

--
//-Walt
//

Old January 8th 05, 12:39 AM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

"Outside" relative to what. I think you mean outside relative to your
body.

But of course. How are you going to get the skis inside your body? I
can only think of two ways, and neither seems comfortable or conducive
to athletic activity.

One of those two possible ways seems a common predicament of our more
prolific posters...
Old January 8th 05, 12:49 AM
rosco

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Now there's even simpler/easier way to ski:

From "Flat-Boarding" we've learned that "On two skis, when they are

[...]

Nicely stated. F**K the textbook approach. Get out and have fun and
make some mistakes and eat some snow. Even tweek a knee or two - just
not too badly. My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning". Damn stoic of him.

Old January 8th 05, 01:07 AM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Now there's even simpler/easier way to ski:

From "Flat-Boarding" we've learned that "On two skis, when they are

[...]

Yes, the "inside" ski is determined in relation to the turn.

the outside edge of this ski, then, is the big toe edge
of that ski. Still with me?

No, The "outside" edge of a ski is "always" on the little toe side.
(How do you determine "outside" and "inside" in relation to your
"outer" body appearance?)

If you try dragging that edge you are in
fact "Catching and Edge" and you will be on the ground presently if

you
continue.

If you "catch the edge" you don't continue but tumble.

The trick is to put the pressure/stand on the "outside" edge of the
"inside" ski; i.e. the force goes to the little toe side. The "inside"
ski is now the "uphill" ski and the little toe side edge is an "uphill"
edge, when you stand on the "uphill" edge there's no "downhill" edge to
catch the snow.

Now, I think you may well have a nifty way to teach skiing. I went
through the early progression in teaching with a PSIA Level 2 friend

of
mine. What he describes is not totally unlike what you describe. The
problem lies, I believe, is in your ability to describe in words to

us
what you are about as illustrated by my first paragraph.

I use "standard English" and common words.

Words, semantics, are the problem.

Only to those who use the words without actual experience.

"Get the meanings, and forget about words."--Chuang-Tzu--

He also made clear the difference between a
stem christie and a wedge christie, a problem I'd had "getting" in
another thread.

I try not to get hung up on "terminologies."

In an earlier work "Tai Chi Skiing" you describe an attitude. A state

of
mind for a skier to be in. My observation and experience is that

MANY
skiers shift themselves into such a state of mind. Watch a slalom

racer,
or more particularly, a competitive bump skier, study the course, ski

it
in his/her mind and get that mind to place that is nowhere else than
right "there".

That is exactly "not" what I was talking about in "Tai Chi Skiing," for
"study the course" implies a "a skier 'here' and a course 'there'"
dualistic environment, or a "partitioned" skier.

And in Tai Chi Skiing,

"...Tai Chi Skiing rides a line that is in the equilibrium state with
gravity.

Internally, mind makes perception into reality. With mind concentrates
on breathing, breathing drives the body to place the weight which
causes the turns, and as the line of turns matches the rhythm of
gravity, the graceful movements of the body manifests the equilibrium
force of the gravity, and that is being 'one with gravity.' In
'Oneness,' Tai Chi Skiing reaches the realm of Tai Chi. Tai Chi Skiing
is the ultimate free style." What is "free" of dualism is Unism,
Oneness. That's the difference.

Back to your flat boarding. The "old way" that you describe above is
advanced even by the standards of 30 years ago. In fact it is rarely
taught today at all. The equipment of today simply doesn't demand

such a
strong technique. Most people, it seems, get to the strong

intermediate
stage and think "good enough" and never go for the advanced moves

which
will complete their training and allow them to ski everything, all

the time.

Well, I do pursue the excellence to enjoy the higher-level enjoyments.

I suspect that you are an energetic and somewhat charismatic teacher

who
can express the ideas clearly one-on-one to someone else who has a

pair
of skis on his/her feet. When you are explaining, you are also

pointing
and demonstrating and doing. You don't make mistakes like you made

above.

You do need to empty your cup sometime to see the new insight.

When I was teaching, almost 40 years ago now, I didn't dwell on the
technical aspects too much. I stressed fun. I stressed "this works in

this situation". Try this see what it feels like. Then very small

moves
to improve position and balance, usually bringing hands forward or if

the problem was continual, then drills to correct just one problem at

at
time. I didn't talk a lot. I demonstrated, I pointed, I showed.

I teach them the "principle" how to "stand" on the skis from the feet
up.

I've made a few smart-ass remark like "come ski with me" etc. poking

fun
at what I thought your technique could do on something steep and

slick.
I do recognize that you are promoting a teaching technique/tool and

that
the advanced skiing that you would teach would be pretty much the way

we
all ski, because that's what works. Actually I'd very much like to

ski
with you sometime.

For sure,

Just for the fun of it because that's what it's all
about.

Yes, though I mostly do terrain park and going straight down on the
"blues" nowadays, I do do the "face" of Heavenly from time to time.

And boi, do we got the snow!
IS

VtSkier aka RW

Old January 8th 05, 01:47 AM
The Real Bev

rosco wrote:

F**K the textbook approach. Get out and have fun and
make some mistakes and eat some snow. Even tweek a knee or two - just
not too badly. My father of 70+ years old sez "if you ain't falling,
you ain't learning". Damn stoic of him.

I say "If you fall you learned something wrong." Maybe I'll change my
mind in 10 years.

--
Cheers,
Bev