JP got 2 new roadbikes for his birthday!

Old November 4th 04, 02:31 AM
Jeff Potter

Default JP got 2 new roadbikes for his birthday!

Yeah, my birthday was last week and the craziest of things happened. A
very weird celestial convergence.

First, I decided that my tattered 20yearold Pro Miyata was
embarrassing even for me and that to give retro a good name I had to
ride a spiffy retro bike so I started looking for one and asking
around.

Sure enough I ran into a web-friend who had a mint 1985 Atala Pro he'd
let me have very cheap. I said Let's do it!

The next day another friend said Hey did you see the clean red 1992
Bridgestone RB1 with STI on ebay? Oh no! That would be a really nice
relaxed road machine. I checked it out and finally won it for way
cheap.

So on my birthday 2 new roadbikes arrived in the UPS! FREAK OUT!

I haven't had a new roadbike in 20 years!

And both for the total price of a set of aero wheels.

Man, these are sweet! So clean! No dirt or grease! Like new! What
classy retro lugged steel styling!

And the Atala came with a brand new team racing outfit!

OK, if you don't believe me: here's a link to a webpage displaying all
our main family bikes:
http://outyourbackdoor.com/articles2004/jeff.bikes.html.

Now what to do? Well, I'll ride em now thru spring and if I don't like
one, I'll sell it. They both might need a little dialing in stem-wise.
Who knows. The club dudes won't know what to think. (Where's that fast
homeless guy?) I'm bike rich!

I might have to get another jersey now for the red one. And maybe new
shoes and helmet to replace my tattered 15yearold ones...

Yeehaw!

--JP
Old November 4th 04, 03:42 AM
Mark Graves

Jeff,

The 2 dogs look waaay healthier than you! You need to get out more, get
some more exercise!
Great bikes! You can't race Cat 1/Pro unless you replace the pedals with
Campy Super Record & toe-clips, also you will be sure to want to have
on, a pair of black wool cycling shorts, & a wool jersey. ;-))
Bridgestone was extremely popular here in Berkeley, for many years. The
racers loved them. Hiroshi, at Jitensha Studio, sold a whole bunch for
many years. Here, you still see them around.
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/m...akumis-rbt.jpg
Happy Birthday! Hang in there. Soon enough you will be of legal drinking
age like the rest of us!
Mark

Old November 4th 04, 05:03 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Jeff Potter wrote:
Yeah, my birthday was last week and the craziest of things happened.

very weird celestial convergence.

snip

Dumbass -

Who the **** cares about your new bikes?

K. Gringioni.

ps. I went out and bought some new cables for my bike the other day.
They shift REALLY NEATO now!

Old November 4th 04, 07:44 AM
Wile E. Coyote

Hey, what's wrong with the Miyata? I bought that same frame earlier this
year from Lou Deeter, on R.B.M., to build up as a sweet "retro" ride.
Miyata, with that frame at least, did a fantastic job of combining Italian
style (cut-outs in the lugs, BB shell, etc.) with high-quality Japanese
workmanship. Haven't gotten around to building it yet - another winter
project.

Enjoy your new bikes, Jeff. Happy Birthday!

-JJ

om...

Old November 4th 04, 07:46 AM
Dave H

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff Potter wrote:
Yeah, my birthday was last week and the craziest of things happened.

very weird celestial convergence.

snip

Dumbass -

Who the **** cares about your new bikes?

especially some old ass bikes
Dave

Old November 4th 04, 04:36 PM
Steve McGregor

Jeff,

Please don't cross post to r.b.r. All you are going to do is make
people aware of our little Shangri-la and attract posts like the one
on this thread. Previously, the nastiest posts we've had here were i)
someone calling me a liberal, NPR listening pinko (which would make
some break out in hysterics); ii) me calling Canada "America Jr"; Oh
yea, and iii) my attack on the USST coach. Hmm... maybe it's time for
some introspective self analysis....

Old November 4th 04, 05:40 PM
BeeCharmer

Dumbass -

Who the **** cares about your new bikes?

K. Gringioni.

Oh, oh. Looks like rec.bicycles.racing is suffering some anal
leakage.

BTW, I like the bikes, but you must have deceptively long legs, Jeff,
to ride those frames.

chris
ne iowa
Old November 4th 04, 09:58 PM
Mike

First, I decided that my tattered 20yearold Pro Miyata was
embarrassing even for me and that to give retro a good name I had to
ride a spiffy retro bike so I started looking for one and asking
around.

I loved my old Miyata team that I bought for 10% less than wholesale
from Great Lakes Cycling when I worked there Oh-so-many years ago. I
finally bought a new bike when the fork wouldn't stay tight in the
head tube - I think the head tube "stretched". Loved the gearing. That
was 10 years ago, and I'm still not used to the gearing on my now
10-year-old Trek 5200...

Mike

P.S. How goes VOMIT?
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Training/2005/VOMIT.asp
Old November 5th 04, 01:02 AM
Jay Tegeder

(Jeff Potter) wrote in message . com...
Yeah, my birthday was last week and the craziest of things happened. A
very weird celestial convergence.

First, I decided that my tattered 20yearold Pro Miyata was
embarrassing even for me and that to give retro a good name I had to
ride a spiffy retro bike so I started looking for one and asking
around.

http://outyourbackdoor.com/articles2004/jeff.bikes.html.

Jeff, what's the deal? You actually look normal... Nah, just
kidding... Hey, I like the new retro bikes. I think you have a future
as a bike collector. I've got a '92 Paramount and a 2000 (Reynolds
853) Schwinn Peloton frame that I had built up with Ultegra triple
components. I sold that stuff since I'm not a big triple fan. I'm
building it back up with black Shimano 105. It will look pretty cool
since the frame is pearl yellow. Also, I went to the Veloswap in
Chicago last weekend. I picked up a 1998 Schwinn Paramount (Tim Isaac,
Match Cycles Reynolds 853) frame. Tim Isaac made some of the nicest
Paramounts ever. Ben Serrota built Paramounts out of Titanium for a
few years. Those are fantastic too as are the ones made by
Waterford... I was going to sell the '98 Isaac frame on eBay. It's a
size 54cm which is too small for me. However, I can't do it... They
don't make Paramounts anymore. I'll build it up with Shimano Ultegra.

Anyway, stay off rec.bicycles. Those guys are mean! Besides, they
don't get you over there. We understand you............

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Old November 5th 04, 04:08 PM
Jeff Potter

As regards what's wrong with the old Miyata, well I love it but it's
just tattered, literally. You can't read the decals anymore and they
don't make restoration ones. And actually the bike is pretty much
small for me at 58cm. I might buy another if it was 60-62cm.

As regards me looking almost normal: heck 3 weeks of having colds
makes me look pretty scary and pasty in some of those pics, I think.
No modeling future there!

As regards RBR not getting me...some do, some don't. That was just
Henry doing the ONE thing he does. Some a the kids over there think
it's fun. It can be funny sometimes. Think of guys in a dirty pack on
a windy day, snot flowing, yelling and giving each other shi...I mean
crap. It's potty-talk all the time in the first grade and in bike
racing. There are some nice, funny, smart guys over there
occasionally. Some old pros like Carl Sundquist. Cartoonist Patrick
OGrady. George Mount posted GREAT CLASSIC posts there a couple times.
I just got some helpful info there from an Italian about the new/old
Atala. Henry is about the only big problem and he's predictable.

I have to repeat what I think is the best all-time thread at RBR. Some
guys were arguing an eternal and common argument about whether Lemond
was a bum for bridging up to Boyer at the end of the 1982 World's.
Then suddenly up pops a post out of the blue from George Mount of all
people (his first post at RBR basically) that says something like:
"Hey guys, I was in the pack that day when Greg made his move and no
one had any agreements and Jock was doomed so Greg took off. So enough
of this lame talk." Then there was silence. Then came a post that said
"Well, that kind of takes the fun out of that." THAT was just the
best!

Here's the link: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...om%26rnum%3D19

[ ]
Mike

P.S. How goes VOMIT?
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Training/2005/VOMIT.asp

I had a cold for 3 weeks, then was training medium for 2 weeks, now
I've had another cold for the past week. Rats! VOMIT sucks, man! No, I
look forward to getting back into it. It's those snotty kids who keep
finding their way back to the house.

And I'm still in midst of several simultaneous insane deadlines.

--JP