Equipment advice?

Old February 27th 04, 01:24 PM
D B

Default Equipment advice?

I have a four-day trip out west planned in two weeks, and it's about time
for me to replace my equipment, which is 10 (skis)-15 (boots) years old. (I
am an intermediate to expert skiier who doesn't get to ski as much as he
would like these days.) Can some one point me to some reliable equipment
reviews? Thanks very much.

Old February 27th 04, 01:47 PM
Walt

D B wrote:

I have a four-day trip out west planned in two weeks, and it's about time
for me to replace my equipment, which is 10 (skis)-15 (boots) years old. (I
am an intermediate to expert skiier who doesn't get to ski as much as he
would like these days.) Can some one point me to some reliable equipment
reviews? Thanks very much.

Buy boots based on how they fit *your* feet, not based on reviews. Find
a good ski shop with an experienced bootfitter and plan to spend several
hours getting a good fit. I don't know what's available in your area,
but if this is available nearby, I'd start that process right away.

As for skis, just rent them when you get out west. If you don't get out
much, there's not much point in buying skis; the break even point is 10
to 15 days a year. If you ski less than that, you can save money by
renting and always ski on the latest technology. In any case, 'try
before you buy' is the way to go. Sounds like this four day trip is
your chance.

This site http://www.realskiers.com/public/04_skis/ski_reviews.html
can get you started, but the reviews are best used as a vehicle to
narrow your choice to a dozen or so candidate skis.

--
//-Walt
//