Skiing an athletic sport?

Old January 5th 14, 08:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

Default Skiing an athletic sport?

Just back from another 5 days of skiing, and was surprised at the
number of people who seemed to be hitting the hill without a day of
exercise in the last 12 months.

Judging by the waistlines of the skiers, I tend to think that skiing
is an athletic sport IF you want it to be, vs merely a winter activity
Old January 5th 14, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 4:09:42 PM UTC-5, Dick G wrote:
Just back from another 5 days of skiing, and was surprised at the

number of people who seemed to be hitting the hill without a day of

exercise in the last 12 months.

Judging by the waistlines of the skiers, I tend to think that skiing

is an athletic sport IF you want it to be, vs merely a winter activity

Where were you skiing?

Dave
Old January 6th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/05/2014 01:09 PM, Dick G wrote:

Just back from another 5 days of skiing, and was surprised at the
number of people who seemed to be hitting the hill without a day of
exercise in the last 12 months.

Goint to the gym .NE. exercise. I see large numbers of women sitting on
the machines and going through the motions while they fiddle with their
phones. I guess somebody told them that buying the costume and putting
in the time was "exercise". If you're recovering from some
muscle-wasting disease I suppose that 50-pound leg-presses are worth
doing, but that's probably not the situation,

Judging by the waistlines of the skiers, I tend to think that skiing
is an athletic sport IF you want it to be, vs merely a winter activity

Over the years I've seen very few fat people skiing. Maybe a few extra
pounds (hard to tell, given the clothing), but not obese.

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo
Old January 19th 14, 01:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:33:06 -0800 (PST), Dave Stallard
wrote:

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 4:09:42 PM UTC-5, Dick G wrote:
Just back from another 5 days of skiing, and was surprised at the

number of people who seemed to be hitting the hill without a day of

exercise in the last 12 months.

Judging by the waistlines of the skiers, I tend to think that skiing

is an athletic sport IF you want it to be, vs merely a winter activity

Where were you skiing?

Dave

That week was at Mt Tremblant

Bitter cold, so cold they shut 3 lifts