Ski Helmet Use Isn’t Reducing Brain Injuries

Old January 3rd 14, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Ski Helmet Use Isn't Reducing Brain Inj uries

wrote:
So I don't need a
helmet.

You need mittens so you stop typing stupid statements.
Old January 5th 14, 04:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/02/2014 08:28 AM, lal_truckee wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

Another effect of testosterone poisoning.

What are 'rotational' head injuries? I envision something like in The
Exorcist...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Give me all your brains or I'll blow your money out!"
Old January 5th 14, 04:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/02/2014 09:10 AM, wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 11:46:59 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

lal_truckee wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html

I think I'll continue to wear mine.

Improper use and fitting. Vanity is often the issue. Last year at Hunter
observed helmets sitting on 3 or 4 inches of hair. I put my old marker
on and it was packed out. I am looking for an other helmet that will
take a Slalom guard.

I saw a woman wearing her bicycle helmet backwards. I tried to explain,
but she spoke no English and I think she thought my gestures were
threatening in some way. Some people insist that their children wear
bicycle helmets, but allow them to sit loosely on the back of the head,
sometimes not even fastened. Annoying, because there's a non-zero
chance that the children will grow up to be smarter than their parents.

Got a little freaked out last year at Hunter when standing on the lift
line. A guy next to me started rattling off the prices of my equipment.
Starting with that is a 500$ carbon fiber helmet he was in daily rentals.

The list price of my jacket is 50x what I paid for it.

$500 for a helmet is nuts. When I ride my Harley, I wear a
top-of-the-line full-face Bell helmet. Just like the kind NASCAR
drivers use. It doesn't cost half of that.

Bell dropped the Snell certification several years ago. While it's
applicable to automotive helmets, which are designed to protect against
multiple impacts in the same place, motorcycle helmets do NOT need this
sort of protection (which makes the helmet heavier, which is exactly
what you do NOT want) unless somebody with OCD attacks you with a hammer
while you're wearing it. Moreover, it costs money which could be
better spent on something else.

I've always admired Bell, although I suspect that nowadays helmets is
helmets as long as they're made by one of the big companies.

I have yet to try on a full-face helmet that's actually comfortable over
glasses.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns and
Old January 5th 14, 04:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/02/2014 04:18 PM, wrote:

wrote this crap:

On 1/2/14 1:37 PM,
wrote:

I've never worn a flannel shirt.

I thought you were from Detroit, up in the North Woods?
In the North Woods everyone wears a flannel shirt, including Babe the
Blue Ox's care-taker.

You should check a map. Detroit is in Southern Michigan. Paul Bunyan
country is Minnesota, hundreds of miles away.

Ridiculous. There's a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_Mystery

In spite of the hype, it's a really pretty place -- or was when I made
my parents stop there when I was maybe 10.

Old January 5th 14, 11:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:50:55 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

$500 for a helmet is nuts. When I ride my Harley, I wear a
top-of-the-line full-face Bell helmet. Just like the kind NASCAR
drivers use. It doesn't cost half of that.

Bell dropped the Snell certification several years ago. While it's
applicable to automotive helmets, which are designed to protect against
multiple impacts in the same place, motorcycle helmets do NOT need this
sort of protection (which makes the helmet heavier, which is exactly
what you do NOT want) unless somebody with OCD attacks you with a hammer
while you're wearing it. Moreover, it costs money which could be
better spent on something else.

I've always admired Bell, although I suspect that nowadays helmets is
helmets as long as they're made by one of the big companies.

I have yet to try on a full-face helmet that's actually comfortable over
glasses.

You must have a strange head. I wear sunglasses in the summer and my
Bell helmet is comfortable with them. Or maybe it's your glasses. But
here's a tip: Put the helmet on first, then put on the glasses.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old January 5th 14, 11:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:55:59 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 01/02/2014 04:18 PM, wrote:

wrote this crap:

On 1/2/14 1:37 PM,
wrote:

I've never worn a flannel shirt.

I thought you were from Detroit, up in the North Woods?
In the North Woods everyone wears a flannel shirt, including Babe the
Blue Ox's care-taker.

You should check a map. Detroit is in Southern Michigan. Paul Bunyan
country is Minnesota, hundreds of miles away.

Ridiculous. There's a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_Mystery

In spite of the hype, it's a really pretty place -- or was when I made
my parents stop there when I was maybe 10.

Tooorist Trap.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old January 5th 14, 02:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

The Real Bev wrote:
What are 'rotational' head injuries? I envision something like in The
Exorcist...

Racing driver have a helmet that uses a Hans device prevent head from
rotating or snapping back and forth

http://hansdevice.com/site/index.html
Old January 5th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/4/14 9:55 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/02/2014 04:18 PM, wrote:

wrote this crap:

On 1/2/14 1:37 PM,
wrote:

I've never worn a flannel shirt.

I thought you were from Detroit, up in the North Woods?
In the North Woods everyone wears a flannel shirt, including Babe the
Blue Ox's care-taker.

You should check a map. Detroit is in Southern Michigan. Paul Bunyan
country is Minnesota, hundreds of miles away.

Ridiculous. There's a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_Mystery

In spite of the hype, it's a really pretty place -- or was when I made
my parents stop there when I was maybe 10.

Our parent's 39 Chevys were probably parked side by side.
Unless yours had a Ford.

My current conservationist attitude toward old growth redwoods is sorely
tried by childhood memories from one of those road trips of the felling
of a large old growth tree; hell of an impressive crash when that tree
went down. Somewhere near that Oregon Blue Ox statue I do think.
Old January 6th 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/05/2014 04:49 AM, wrote:
wrote this crap:
On 01/02/2014 04:18 PM,
wrote:
wrote this crap:
On 1/2/14 1:37 PM,
wrote:

I've never worn a flannel shirt.

I thought you were from Detroit, up in the North Woods?
In the North Woods everyone wears a flannel shirt, including Babe the
Blue Ox's care-taker.

You should check a map. Detroit is in Southern Michigan. Paul Bunyan
country is Minnesota, hundreds of miles away.

Ridiculous. There's a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_Mystery

In spite of the hype, it's a really pretty place -- or was when I made
my parents stop there when I was maybe 10.

Tooorist Trap.

Duh. Of course. Some are better than others. Somebody just happened
to own this spectacular area and made money by letting others pay to see
it. The government does the same thing. So do the Indians. I wouldn't
pay money to stand on the actual Four-Corners spot, but many do. Turns
out that's not even the real spot, as people would find out if they
saved a waypoint with their GPS and did some research when they got home.

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo
Old January 6th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/05/2014 08:22 AM, lal_truckee wrote:

On 1/4/14 9:55 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/02/2014 04:18 PM, wrote:

wrote this crap:

On 1/2/14 1:37 PM,
wrote:

I've never worn a flannel shirt.

I thought you were from Detroit, up in the North Woods?
In the North Woods everyone wears a flannel shirt, including Babe the
Blue Ox's care-taker.

You should check a map. Detroit is in Southern Michigan. Paul Bunyan
country is Minnesota, hundreds of miles away.

Ridiculous. There's a statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_Mystery

In spite of the hype, it's a really pretty place -- or was when I made
my parents stop there when I was maybe 10.

Our parent's 39 Chevys were probably parked side by side.
Unless yours had a Ford.

Oldsmobile, dark green. Those are the first cars I remember. Dad
traded up to a Caddy as soon as he could. I guess they used to be good
cars, but by 1980 they were ****.

My current conservationist attitude toward old growth redwoods is sorely
tried by childhood memories from one of those road trips of the felling
of a large old growth tree; hell of an impressive crash when that tree
went down. Somewhere near that Oregon Blue Ox statue I do think.

Apparently there is a lot of clear-cutting, but a belt of trees within
some distance of the road is left alone. Out of sight, out of mind.

Screw the spotted owl, it's just EVIL to cut down something that old.
Looking at the pictures of lumberjacks standing in front of huge trees
is really sad. I read something about one such tree being cut just to
see how old it was.

We have plastic now. Leave the goddam trees alone.