okemo

Old December 23rd 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default okemo

On 12/23/13 12:15 PM, Bob F wrote:

You also do have to drive in the snow to experiance it.

Provides a chance to test the ABS.
Old December 23rd 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, December 23, 2013 5:06:46 PM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/23/13 12:15 PM, Bob F wrote:

You also do have to drive in the snow to experiance it.

Provides a chance to test the ABS.

If you have a big-ass 1970s Detroit land yacht with a huge V-8, you don't need new-fangled 2014 ADAS technology. You just need to know how to steer with your right foot.

Jim in Texas
Old December 24th 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:50:19 PM UTC-5, lal_truckee wrote:

Exhaustion means you're trying to push snow around.
Don't push, arc. Let the ski glide through the powder.

Twisting to initiate the turn and sliding to complete it will just kill you if there is more an inch or so of fresh snow. Groomers let you get away with that bad habit, thereby reinforcing it.

Oddly enough, ice also punishes twist-and-slide turning. You feel so much more out of control, because you are. And you're finishing the turn with a hockey stop. But it's a hard habit to break.

Dave
Old December 24th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/23/2013 03:06 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

On 12/23/13 12:15 PM, Bob F wrote:

You also do have to drive in the snow to experiance it.

Did it several times. Unrewarding. Nobody told me you weren't supposed
to go 45 mph. Moreover, if you have to use chains the snow is generally
unpleasantly gooey when you get there. The local stuff really needs to
be beaten into submission after it freezes.

Provides a chance to test the ABS.

Get real. I drove a rental with ABS in DC in the rain in 1990. WTF?
When I figured out what that weird thumping was I found an empty street
and played around for a while. Fun.

DC at night in the rain is as good as it ever gets.

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

Old December 26th 13, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On 12/23/13 12:15 PM, Bob F wrote:

You also do have to drive in the snow to experiance it.

Did it several times. Unrewarding. Nobody told me you weren't supposed
to go 45 mph.

I've seen traffic on I-5 slow to a crawl and then stop, for a light
drizzle. Californians can't drive in rain or snow.

Provides a chance to test the ABS.

Get real. I drove a rental with ABS in DC in the rain in 1990. WTF?
When I figured out what that weird thumping was I found an empty street
and played around for a while. Fun.

How is that? The ABS is supposed to stop you in a straight line.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 0 December 26th 12 10:39 PM
okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 0 December 23rd 12 01:37 PM
Okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 3 February 22nd 12 02:26 PM
okemo II down_hill Alpine Skiing 19 January 6th 12 02:09 PM
okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 2 December 26th 11 12:48 PM