okemo

Old December 19th 13, 12:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default okemo

Heading up to Okemo.
Solo trip pick up skis today and NASTAR and a two hour coaching session
tomorrow.

Net week sentenced to Hunter with no NASTAR but Windham is close.
I have expressed my displeasure with Hunters choice to dump NASTAR and
can not wait to do it in person.
Old December 19th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:59:29 AM UTC-7, downhill wrote:
Heading up to Okemo.

Solo trip pick up skis today and NASTAR and a two hour coaching session
tomorrow.

Net week sentenced to Hunter with no NASTAR but Windham is close.
I have expressed my displeasure with Hunters choice to dump NASTAR and
can not wait to do it in person.

Maybe you could just go skiing instead?

Old December 21st 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

downhill wrote:
Heading up to Okemo.
Solo trip pick up skis today and NASTAR and a two hour coaching session
tomorrow.

Wonderful day no crowds empty trails, NASTAR that timing worked on the
first day properly.
Spent time being coached on the course and got a respectable time for
first day on snow. The rest of time doing drills down an empty slope,
the limiting factor on my speed was my skis as my 165 rock skis were
chattering. Normally my first day out I do not hit the limit on my skis.
Great day one of my best days at Okemo, after the 16 inches they got
earlier the conditions were excellent.
I GS a turn blindly into powder and my coach thought this is not going
to turn out well. Well I emerged still standing not pretty but better
than past years.
Old December 21st 13, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/21/13 7:43 AM, downhill wrote:
I GS a turn blindly into powder and my coach thought this is not going
to turn out well. Well I emerged still standing not pretty but better
than past years.

Sounds like you're near ready for the wild snow. Soon enough the tame
snow won't be interesting anymore.

Really it's the same thing as the course - stay centered, arc the skis,
don't sit back, repeat using the energy of the previous turn.

On the race subject, Lindsey Vonn had some new knee problems yesterday
in the DH - hope her ambitions don't overwhelm her good sense.
Old December 21st 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/21/13 7:43 AM, downhill wrote:
I GS a turn blindly into powder and my coach thought this is not going
to turn out well. Well I emerged still standing not pretty but better
than past years.

Sounds like you're near ready for the wild snow. Soon enough the tame
snow won't be interesting anymore.

Really it's the same thing as the course - stay centered, arc the skis,
don't sit back, repeat using the energy of the previous turn.

On the race subject, Lindsey Vonn had some new knee problems yesterday
in the DH - hope her ambitions don't overwhelm her good sense.

Only if it shows up on a race course.

A quote from some actor

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”

some people get it, others well miss the boat
Old December 21st 13, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/21/13 8:34 AM, downhill wrote:

A quote from some actor

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”

some people get it, others well miss the boat

If you mean what you say...
put your kids on a ski team with daily training, sign them up for
extension high schools so they have days free for training. Drive them
all over the country for races, join USSA yourself, train with a Masters
team, enter USSA races.

Put your future on the line.

Or not. It's all good.
Old December 21st 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 12/21/13 7:43 AM, downhill wrote:
I GS a turn blindly into powder and my coach thought this is not
going to turn out well. Well I emerged still standing not pretty
but better than past years.

Sounds like you're near ready for the wild snow. Soon enough the tame
snow won't be interesting anymore.

Really it's the same thing as the course - stay centered, arc the
skis, don't sit back, repeat using the energy of the previous turn.

On the race subject, Lindsey Vonn had some new knee problems
yesterday in the DH - hope her ambitions don't overwhelm her good
sense.

Only if it shows up on a race course.

A quote from some actor

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”

some people get it, others well miss the boat

Happily missed that boat. It sounds too much like boring punishment to me.

Deep powder is life. Anything else is just groomers.

Old December 21st 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:

If you mean what you say...
put your kids on a ski team with daily training, sign them up for
extension high schools so they have days free for training. Drive them
all over the country for races, join USSA yourself, train with a Masters
team, enter USSA races.

Put your future on the line.

Or not. It's all good.

Member of USSA train and race masters when I can. Aiming for Downhill
race at Okemo in March

My son has to make the choice for him self, I try to set the example.
I will assist him in any direction he wants to go, he enjoys to race
NASTAR a few runs but wants to go to park and pipe areas or trees.

I spend warm weather weekends at race tracks and cold ones at ski resorts.
Old December 21st 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/21/13 11:02 AM, downhill wrote:

Aiming for Downhill race at Okemo in March

DH is extraordinary. Those long, stiff boards feel like 2x4s until about
45mph then they relax, become smooth, and feel like they're attached to
tracks. Hope you can find some real DH boards to use - will make a world
of difference to your state of mind to have real stability under foot as
you approach 70.

Try to find somewhere to train SG and DH before March. Big mtn ski teams
often train speed races at first light (coaches set the course by
flashlight.) Sometimes with proper chat-up they will let you run the
course. The kids always laugh at the geezer.
Old December 21st 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/21/2013 10:36 AM, Bob F wrote:

downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Groomers are life. Anything else is instant exhaustion.

--
Cheers, Bev
The stone age didn't end for lack of stones.

okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 0 December 26th 12 10:39 PM
okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 0 December 23rd 12 01:37 PM
Okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 3 February 22nd 12 02:26 PM
okemo II down_hill Alpine Skiing 19 January 6th 12 02:09 PM
okemo down_hill Alpine Skiing 2 December 26th 11 12:48 PM