Breakaway ski pole straps

Old January 31st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Breakaway ski pole straps

I just bought Leki poles with snap off straps. Love them.

"Charles Jutkins" wrote in message
om...
Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for this
but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my straps
anymore after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole catching on
something during a fall.

Old January 31st 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

Do they breakaway in an emergency such as the pole getting stuck on
something and you continuing down the hill?

Old February 1st 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Let Mikey Ski It![_4_]

On 2008-01-31 16:25:58 -0700, "Charles Jutkins" said:

Do they breakaway in an emergency such as the pole getting stuck on
something and you continuing down the hill?

Yes. That is the main reason I got them, for snagging something say on
a high speed traverse and getting your shoulder yanked out. Now I don't
have to take my straps off if I am going to ski trees and such.

Mike...
--
Breckenridge Ski Photography: http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com
Breckenridge photo ski blog: http://Powderday.us

Old February 1st 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in
message ...
On 2008-01-31 16:25:58 -0700, "Charles Jutkins"
said:

Do they breakaway in an emergency such as the pole getting stuck on
something and you continuing down the hill?

Yes. That is the main reason I got them, for snagging something say on a
high speed traverse and getting your shoulder yanked out. Now I don't have
to take my straps off if I am going to ski trees and such.

Mike...
--
Breckenridge Ski Photography: http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com
Breckenridge photo ski blog: http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem!

Did you get the strap setup or the gloves with the integrated hook?
So what did they cost approximately and are they the carbon ones. I called
up a shop that had listed as stocking them and they gave them a bad review .
They were saying the straps tended to get lost and they weren't intended as
a safety feature but a convenience feature .

Old February 1st 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Charles Jutkins wrote:
... they weren't intended as
a safety feature but a convenience feature .

Yep. There's a whole world of pointless gear out there (remember rear
entry boots?) that someone buys, thereby keeping the cycle going.

If you want breakaway straps, notice that commonly the straps are
inserted in a slot near the top of the grip, with a screw vertically in
the top of the grip, through the straps. Replace the screw with a
matchstick or toothpick and INSTANTLY! a breakaway strap.

Even with it that easy, I find it even easier to just take the straps
off my hands when entering trees; I want the poles to stay with me in
all other conditions.
Old February 1st 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Let Mikey Ski It![_4_]

On 2008-02-01 14:32:58 -0700, "Charles Jutkins" said:

Did you get the strap setup or the gloves with the integrated hook?
So what did they cost approximately and are they the carbon ones. I
called up a shop that had listed as stocking them and they gave them a
bad review . They were saying the straps tended to get lost and they
weren't intended as a safety feature but a convenience feature .

On mine, the normal part of the strap detaches and goes onto your
gloves and stays attached to the gloves (any gloves).The strap puts a
tab between your thumb and index finger that you snap into the handle.
Push the top of the pole and they snap out. I think they were around
$75 and are these Lekis are the lightest poles I have ever had. I think
it is the perfect compromise if you worry about snagging poles and
yanking your shoulder out. Other benefits are that they are faster to
get out of and the straps are a better fit on your hand. THe only
negatives are that snow might get in the hole is you are snapping in
out a lot on powder days (say, taking pictures), but it is a minor deal.

Go for it.

Mike...

Old January 27th 14, 04:05 AM
SkiNut SkiNut is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Jutkins View Post
Have a peek at www.safestraps.com, I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for.